Tage and Quinn Injury Updates

bob_sauve28

So let me see if I have this right  it’s hard to keep track of who is on the active roster.

Currently out (4): Thompson, Quinn, Greenway, Girgensons

So who does that leave to send back to Rochester if everyone is actually healthy? Kulich, Rosen, Biro, … Would they actually do it and waive Bryson?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not that it means anything (had never noticed the site had projected return dates for players on IR), but Puckpedia is forecasting Thompson's and Girgenson's return dates as December 2, Quinn December 27, and Greenway tomorrow.

It seems they're citing Lysowski's articles about the injuries, so would take those projections with a HUGE grain of salt.  So, take them for whatever they're worth; but if those are even close to accurate, the Sabres may be close to full strength much sooner than this kid expected.

27 minutes ago, LTS said:

Thompson will be out longer, I have no doubt.  Not that we know for certain what happened, but I think we can all safely say it was wrist or hand. In those situation the two biggest impacts are the ability to put all the force on the stick for shots and being able to tolerate the vibration in the stick on slapshots and stick-checking.

I'd love it to be sooner, but Dec 2 would be pretty amazing.

Didn't Tage have a wrist thing last year that affected his shot, or am I thinking of someone else? Either way the wrist could be healed but it will be a while before the shot returns fully.

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

So let me see if I have this right  it’s hard to keep track of who is on the active roster.

Currently out (4): Thompson, Quinn, Greenway, Girgensons

So who does that leave to send back to Rochester if everyone is actually healthy? Kulich, Rosen, Biro, … Would they actually do it and waive Bryson?

IF they actually are completely healthy (doubt we see that the entire year, but maybe), yeah, the 3 Amerk F's go back, unless somebody's knocking it out of the park by then and then one of Benson getting set to WA, Johnson going back to the Amerks, or Bryson finally getting waived happens.

49 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think Granato is drawn to 11-7 because the Sabres have 7 solid defensemen.  You are looking at it as half empty that the two extra forwards barely play; I look at is as half full that bubble players are getting a chance at limited minutes in the NHL.  Even contenders see this situation occasionally, and it's a good way to get prospects some limited NHL experience so that they can better fill a real NHL billet later on.

Yes

45 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think Granato is drawn to 11-7 because the Sabres have 7 solid defensemen.  You are looking at it as half empty that the two extra forwards barely play; I look at is as half full that bubble players are getting a chance at limited minutes in the NHL.  Even contenders see this situation occasionally, and it's a good way to get prospects some limited NHL experience so that they can better fill a real NHL billet later on.

Expect you're close on the reasoning for going 11-7, but it's more nuanced than that IMHO.  He wants Clifton to play on the PK.  He wants R Johnson to play 5v5 during the 1st 2 periods, but not so much in the 3rd.  So, he essentially has them combine for a 5th D's normal ice time.  He's very comfortable with the other 5 D in their current roles (though many here would like to see some variations on how those other 5 get used; and since he's the coach, he gets to call the shots).

So, he likes not having to bench any of the 7 he trusts (at least for certain aspects of the game).  That by going 11-7, he can avoid having 3 or possibly even 4 rookie F's in the lineup, only 1 of which (Benson) he trusts in crunch time only makes it that much easier for him to go 11-7.

And, all that said, am really looking forward to them getting some F's healthy again so they can get back to 12-6.

And, looking at what you wrote again, believe we're on the same page about the F's.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Granato is not drawn to 11-7, he has had no choice on some nights.   Imagine running the bench and having to constantly shelter minutes because of 2 or 3 skaters cannot hold up. 

I look at it negatively because we don't have 12 NHL forwards right now, and that the bottom 6 has been bad all season.  

Of course there could be, and there have been, cases over the course of the season were 11-7 is a better option.  Granato did a great job with 11-7 on several nights.  But it is not sustainable.  Saying 11-7 it works great is like saying "this tourniquet is really nice, oh boy - works great.  Look no blood!" 

The teams that win roll 4 lines.  

• Agree 1

Ryan Johnson, who some thought wouldn't sign with Buffalo, has had a massive impact on defensive depth.    He's completely bumped Bryson out of the picture, and they don't need to play EJ 18min/g.  

Things would look much different if he wasn't here.    He was a guy they needed to hit on and somehow he looks much better as a pro than he did at any point in his collegiate career.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

Hmmm.  Seems weird to keep the Rosen-Jost-VO combo together given the limited ice time that Rosen and Jost got in the last game.  

If Greenway plays in St Louis then I expect Rosen could go down and Kulich will get a look.  

On defense who will the 6 be?  Joker had a good game in NY.  Johnson is looking good.  Clifton is strong on the PK and might be good to have against a team like the Blues. 

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Hmmm.  Seems weird to keep the Rosen-Jost-VO combo together given the limited ice time that Rosen and Jost got in the last game.  

If Greenway plays in St Louis then I expect Rosen could go down and Kulich will get a look.  

On defense who will the 6 be?  Joker had a good game in NY.  Johnson is looking good.  Clifton is strong on the PK and might be good to have against a team like the Blues. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Ryan Johnson, who some thought wouldn't sign with Buffalo, has had a massive impact on defensive depth.    He's completely bumped Bryson out of the picture, and they don't need to play EJ 18min/g.  

Things would look much different if he wasn't here.    He was a guy they needed to hit on and somehow he looks much better as a pro than he did at any point in his collegiate career.

Amazing isn't it?  At this point I think it won't be long until he surpasses Joki or Muel in the Top Four.  I also think the competition is driving better play from all the defensemen.

• Like (+1) 3

The only place that depth is really improved is on defense.  Johnson & Johnson have been a serious upgrade on Bryson, Stillman, Lyubushkin, and Clague etc..  Clifton hasn’t been the positive we hoped, but there is a great deal of time left for him to turn it around.

The goaltending is the same, but if UPL continues to play well, then there is hope for improvement there as well.  If Levi can find his game in Rochester and return as a capable backup, then things will be substantially better.  

Last season the D depth was tested by injuries and was found wanting.  This season is the reverse as the injury bug has hit the forwards, and the forward depth is failing the test. Things feel a little better because KO and VO have finally started to contribute on offense. VO has 8 points in his last 7 games (courtesy of 4 2 pt games) and KO has scored a goal in 3 straight.  However Krebs still only has 1 pt for the season.  Z has 2 goals this season and nothing in his last 13 games.  Greenway, before he went on IR had 0 pts in his last 7 and Jost has 1 pt in his last 11 games. Cozens has 2 pts in his last 12 games.  Tuch, Mitts, JJP and Skinner are carrying this forward group.  

Getting Thompson will help.  However, if this team is going to work offensively Cozens is going to have to find his game. I’m still in the camp that one or two outside forwards are needed.  Kids who can’t be trusted to play more than 6 minutes isn’t real depth.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I hope they take it slow with Quinn.... so many times you hear guys come back too soon from achilles surgery only to re-injure and never be the same again.      It's a tough recovery I'd even consider sitting him the entire season if I was KA.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Really need to win 2 out of 3 until Tage comes back. 500 hockey will not cut it any longer if they are serious about a playoff push to 8th. 

.500 isn't even close to making it in this division/conference.

Isn't the stats thing if you're not in the playoffs at American Thanksgiving your odds are like less than 20%? Something like that. 

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

.500 isn't even close to making it in this division/conference.

Isn't the stats thing if you're not in the playoffs at American Thanksgiving your odds are like less than 20%? Something like that. 

There was an article on ESPN plus yesterday (?) that noted since 2016, a minimum of 11 of the 16 teams in playoff spots at American Thanksgiving have made the playoffs. Largest deficit made up was 7 pts. They did not get into how many other teams the Fortunate Few have leapfrogged to achieve this, but by points the Sabres seem OK-ish - but by position in the standings it appears bleak. None of the "models" from whatever fancy sites projected the Sabres as one of the outsiders to make it this year ... but I'd doubt their models were right too often in the previous years, either. <shrug emoji thingy>

37 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

There was an article on ESPN plus yesterday (?) that noted since 2016, a minimum of 11 of the 16 teams in playoff spots at American Thanksgiving have made the playoffs. Largest deficit made up was 7 pts. They did not get into how many other teams the Fortunate Few have leapfrogged to achieve this, but by points the Sabres seem OK-ish - but by position in the standings it appears bleak. None of the "models" from whatever fancy sites projected the Sabres as one of the outsiders to make it this year ... but I'd doubt their models were right too often in the previous years, either. <shrug emoji thingy>

Sabres were 3 points out on Thanksgiving with 2 teams between them and a playoff spot (3, if you count the Pens who were tied with the Sabres but with a game in hand; and the Sabres beat them in regulation the next night).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.