Report: Patrick Kane is signing with Detroit

Brawndo

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

You most certainly are not alone in not giving a crap that Kane is from Buffalo.

The middle six forward issue will resolve when Tage and Quinn return to the lineup, imo. 

Yep 

sigh

Resolve, apart from the other injuries we and every team will be faced with by then. But resolved in the GM’s mind, yes. Adding someone isn’t/wasn’t an option 

Quinn going down with plenty of time to replace him and the GM neglecting to do anything at all is just a frankly solid outline for the type of proactiveness we can expect. Adams isn’t a creative solutions GM he has hard line principles and evaluations he doesn’t move on from, the rest call fall where it may 

Edited by Thorny

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think this is probably true. The only thing important was that the fans were made aware there was “effort”.

Best of both worlds in the GM’s mind imo

I don't even believe that. All the Kane smoke came from outside. Adams never said a word about it. It's all agents spoon feeding the "insiders."

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't even believe that. All the Kane smoke came from outside. Adams never said a word about it. It's all agents spoon feeding the "insiders."

Adams is A) aware these things are out there and B) almost undoubtedly feeds it with his own sources 

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No GM talked openly about Kane. Believe what you want but they offered him the most, wanted him here and only started to put their spin on it when Kane told them it was down to Detroit and Florida. 
As “Thorn” has constantly stated, Adams has become a master at leaking “the effort” and spinning things their way.

1) he didn’t trade Ullmark because he knew he could sign him.

2) he didn’t sign Ullmark because he didn’t want to block his prospects. What real franchise saves spits for prospects.

3) the contenders gave up their future for immediate satisfaction and Buffalo will benefit( he even got Donny to echo those thoughts).

4) the Devils are a year ahead so that’s why they are trading prospects and going for it

5) now apparently Detroit’s a year ahead

6) next year, Ottawa will be a year ahead

7) we were really close on a forward at free agency, but price went too high

don’t worry, they are really trying.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is not correct.

Adams confirmed his interest on the record to Pierre Lebrun last week at the GM meetings.

“Yeah we are a team that checked in on him once he became a free agent, and we asked them to keep us posted and that’s what they’ve done,” Sabres GM Kevyn Adams said. “We’ll see where it goes from there.”

@tom webster is 100% correct the Sabres tried and failed to get him. The need, the hole in the roster and the space under the cap would have made the intent obvious even if we didn’t have that report.

He may not be 100% correct on the conclusions of his post, but his track record pretty clearly shows he’s got a contact and a brain, and his conclusions are fair comment based on what he’s seen and what he’s been told.

Kane could have come here. He chose not to do so.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Cite sources, otherwise this means nothing.

Just stating what I know to be true. You can choose to believe what you will. Would it really matter anyway? Pierre LeBrun talked about them being one of the final four, would you scoff at that? Darren Dreger? In the end, you and everyone will choose to believe what you want, listen to who you want and I’m cool with that.

I will offer what I have, those who know me will know who told me, those who think they know me will probably consider it to be fact and some who have no idea will decide what they want to believe. That’s how these things work. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is not correct.

Adams confirmed his interest on the record to Pierre Lebrun last week at the GM meetings.

“Yeah we are a team that checked in on him once he became a free agent, and we asked them to keep us posted and that’s what they’ve done,” Sabres GM Kevyn Adams said. “We’ll see where it goes from there.”

@tom webster is 100% correct the Sabres tried and failed to get him. The need, the hole in the roster and the space under the cap would have made the intent obvious even if we didn’t have that report.

He may not be 100% correct on the conclusions of his post, but his track record pretty clearly shows he’s got a contact and a brain, and his conclusions are fair comment based on what he’s seen and what he’s been told.

Thanks Dudacek. One last thing, I’m not even sure it all doesn’t work out. Who knows, maybe yesterday starts this team on a run, UPL turns into Ken Dryden and everyone’s happy. Today, however, there are some serious conversations going on and some answers being demanded.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, tom webster said:

This, I believe, is the correct take. He wanted to be here, Buffalo offered the most money, and he chose someone the Sabres are competing with.

But one of these statements is inconsistent with the others. I don’t understand how these 3 statements can be all true. 

5 minutes ago, kas23 said:

But one of these statements is inconsistent with the others. I don’t understand how these 3 statements can be all true. 

He didn’t want to be here just to sell tickets and ride off into the sunset. He had options and he wanted teams to convince him that they had a plan for him and for the team.

Adams once again couldn’t close the deal. It’s becoming a refrain.

He decided they aren’t serious about contending this year and he took less money to go to a team clearly trying to get better. It doesn’t hurt that he has some friends on Detroit. He wants to win and the money wasn’t the number motivating factor.
It doesn’t even mean he’s right. Players sometimes are the worst judge of where teams are headed. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, tom webster said:

He didn’t want to be here just to sell tickets and ride off into the sunset. He had options and he wanted teams to convince him that they had a plan for him and for the team.

Adams once again couldn’t close the deal. It’s becoming a refrain.

He decided they aren’t serious about contending this year and he took less money to go to a team clearly trying to get better. It doesn’t hurt that he has some friends on Detroit. He wants to win and the money wasn’t the number motivating factor.
It doesn’t even mean he’s right. Players sometimes are the worst judge of where teams are headed. 

I wonder what made him think they weren’t serious 

Edited by Thorny

46 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Thanks Dudacek. One last thing, I’m not even sure it all doesn’t work out. Who knows, maybe yesterday starts this team on a run, UPL turns into Ken Dryden and everyone’s happy. Today, however, there are some serious conversations going on and some answers being demanded.

Explain this please.

And while you're at it, explain this report from Greg Wys:

Greg Wyshynski of ESPN reports: 

“This is what Kane wanted. An NHL source told me that Kane had multi-year offers on the table from other teams. But Kane and his representatives wanted a one-year deal and a chance to reevaluate his next steps after this season.”

So Kane didn't want a multi-year deal or he didn't get an offer for one? Or did Buffalo offer multiple years and Kane still said no? Have any sources for that? Sounds like spin to me.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

This is not correct.

Why?

Two possible answers:   (1) he thinks Detroit is further ahead as a team;  or  (2) he just doesn't like how things are run, or the perception of how things are run.  

My personal take is good-bye Kane.   If the Sabres are really willing to spend some money, then make a trade and get a middle 6 forward with the experience, and size/toughness along the lines of Greenway and Tuch.   Then we need more of that.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So Kane didn't want a multi-year deal or he didn't get an offer for one? Or did Buffalo offer multiple years and Kane still said no? Have any sources for that? Sounds like spin to me.

To be fair, the source is right in the post - "Greg Wyshynski of ESPN reports: ". Not that I think it's true.

52 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sorry but this sounds like classic jilted fan backlash.

I’d guess the Sabres offered a 2-year deal and Kane passed because, having watched them play this year and fail to show up for at least 40% of their games (including 65% of their home games), he concluded that the Sabres aren’t a real team and aren’t worthy of his last few years in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Wonder if he wanted the 1 year deal to have the flexibility to sign a bonus-laden 1 year deal next year with whomever he signs with?

Could effectively allow the team he's with next year (presuming he's the 1st guy to get this surgery and actually recover from it and he plays again next year, a monsterously big presumption at this point in time) to circumvent the cap a bit if the team is strapped for cap space.  (He'd qualify for a bonus laden 1 year contract by virtue of being 35 come June 30 and may also qualify from missing 100+ days due to injury this year (depending upon when he actually starts to play for the Wings).)

Multiyear deals with performance bonuses for guys that aren't on ELC's are a no-no.