Benson - Keep him here

Night Train

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

To some extent yes. He'll ignore bad in bigger players while focusing almost solely on skating in smaller ones. He also focuses way too much on breakaway speed when that short area quickness is typically more important until you get slow like Okposo and can't keep up with plays. 

Also labeling Benson as having "above average IQ" is criminally underrating how smart he is. Pronman saw a good but small player with no elite speed and ignored all the things that make Benson special imo.

Wondering how you think Benson's IQ compares to say Jack Quinn?  Not trying to suggest anything, but simply interested in how you think they compare?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Wondering how you think Benson's IQ compares to say Jack Quinn?  Not trying to suggest anything, but simply interested in how you think they compare?

Hmm. 

Quinn is smart for sure. He initiates contact to prepare space and had high end manipulation skills. His rush patterns are varied and his passing is underrated. 

Benson straight up reads plays, it's uncanny. Last night he acted like a corner and jumped a route. It's similar to Quinn but I think there's an added layer to Benson. If Quinn is planning 2 moves ahead, Benson is planning 3 so to speak. 

Quinn is subtle, he'll do things to get his space and move pucks where he wants. Benson can be subtle, he has that but I think there's a more direct style to him. 

It's hard because I haven't seen Quinn in 8 months now but the summary is both are intelligent players with big tool boxes. I think Benson is more direct but also a step or two ahead of others, it's fascinating to watch. Quinn can be and often is a step ahead of others. Both are very good defensively. Quinn is smart, Benson might be smarter. 

Sorry that's so indecisive but Benson at 18 is as smart as Quinn at 21 and idk what to make of that. I think Quinn can be a 35g 45a type as a ceiling.  Benson, 20g and 65a maybe 70a. I don't have a feel for his ceiling. 

14 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I’m good with keeping benson with Tuch and Thompson for now but curious to see how he looks with Quinn later in the year. 

Benson with Quinn makes me extremely curious. They are both so smart and have so many tools. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Hmm. 

Quinn is smart for sure. He initiates contact to prepare space and had high end manipulation skills. His rush patterns are varied and his passing is underrated. 

Benson straight up reads plays, it's uncanny. Last night he acted like a corner and jumped a route. It's similar to Quinn but I think there's an added layer to Benson. If Quinn is planning 2 moves ahead, Benson is planning 3 so to speak. 

Quinn is subtle, he'll do things to get his space and move pucks where he wants. Benson can be subtle, he has that but I think there's a more direct style to him. 

It's hard because I haven't seen Quinn in 8 months now but the summary is both are intelligent players with big tool boxes. I think Benson is more direct but also a step or two ahead of others, it's fascinating to watch. Quinn can be and often is a step ahead of others. Both are very good defensively. Quinn is smart, Benson might be smarter. 

Sorry that's so indecisive but Benson at 18 is as smart as Quinn at 21 and idk what to make of that. I think Quinn can be a 35g 45a type as a ceiling.  Benson, 20g and 65a maybe 70a. I don't have a feel for his ceiling. 

Benson with Quinn makes me extremely curious. They are both so smart and have so many tools. 

I think part of their difference is skating speed. Quinn is a far quicker skater than Benson and as such Benson has had to work far harder on his IQ in order make up for his lack of elite speed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Hasn't he ALWAYS had half of it? 😉

Skinner had scored 345 times. Maybe Benson already has better defensive awareness but it’s still a lot for him to live up to overall. People acting like Benson is a lock to be better just never learn. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Hmm. 

70 assists, dayum 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Skinner had scored 345 times. Maybe Benson already has better defensive awareness but it’s still a lot for him to live up to overall. People acting like Benson is a lock to be better just never learn. 

It was a joke.  That's what the little 'winky thing' at the end was there for, to make sure it wasn't interpreted otherwise.  😉

Benson has been great and we got a steal. He plays a very mature game and overall, at both ends of the rink, has been one of our top 3-4 forwards (maybe higher). But, with the games he missed, he is on pace for 33 points. He is not producing offensively like a top 6 player (few of our guys are).

Are things so bad with this organization that we couldn’t find a middle six veteran this off-season who could get us 30 points and be solid defensively?  That is the most frustrating thing to me. Benson had a great camp and looked ready for the NHL. Why was there room though? He should be terrorizing the WHL and leading Team Canada into the world jrs. Of course an 18 year old will chose the NHL and his teammates over a JR tourney. But 4-5 years from now, playing in the NHL will just be what he does. The world jrs are a once in a lifetime opportunity for a small group of kids. I’ve been a huge supporter of Adams/Granato. This is just a mistake. 

The Sabres right now are like a bad MLB team. That we won a game in Vegas, sandwiched between losses in Colorado and Arizona, doesn’t mean we are good and need to find consistency. The Oakland A’s can get a strong pitching performance and a couple seeing eye doubles and take a game from the Astros. 

Our forwards are getting healthy. We are going to need to make decisions. We are the 7th worst team in the NHL by points %. Let Benson go back. We just don’t need him here this year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

Skinner puts up the points for sure.  This team gets killed because of their team defense on most nights.  Benson sure looks to have a much better 200 foot game imo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

The Sabres right now are like a bad MLB team. That we won a game in Vegas, sandwiched between losses in Colorado and Arizona, doesn’t mean we are good and need to find consistency. The Oakland A’s can get a strong pitching performance and a couple seeing eye doubles and take a game from the Astros. 

Our forwards are getting healthy. We are going to need to make decisions. We are the 7th worst team in the NHL by points %. Let Benson go back. We just don’t need him here this year. 

The A’s took 2 from the Braves this past season. In pro sports the best team doesn’t always win.  Although the Sabres are better than the A’s.  There is real talent on the Sabres, but there is merit to your point.  We are not deep enough or accomplished enough to compete with the top level of the NHL every night. 

As to Benson, I think the sending him down ship has sailed.  Even with everyone healthy is in one of our top 9 best forwards at this point. - Skinner, TNT, Tuch, Quinn, JJP, Mitts, Cozens, Benson, and Greenway.  

4 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

Benson has been great and we got a steal. He plays a very mature game and overall, at both ends of the rink, has been one of our top 3-4 forwards (maybe higher). But, with the games he missed, he is on pace for 33 points. He is not producing offensively like a top 6 player (few of our guys are).

Are things so bad with this organization that we couldn’t find a middle six veteran this off-season who could get us 30 points and be solid defensively?  That is the most frustrating thing to me. Benson had a great camp and looked ready for the NHL. Why was there room though? He should be terrorizing the WHL and leading Team Canada into the world jrs. Of course an 18 year old will chose the NHL and his teammates over a JR tourney. But 4-5 years from now, playing in the NHL will just be what he does. The world jrs are a once in a lifetime opportunity for a small group of kids. I’ve been a huge supporter of Adams/Granato. This is just a mistake. 

Sending Benson back to the WHL to average two points a game really isn’t going to help His Development now, He has proven he belongs in the NHL. He might need to sit for a game or two as the season goes on. 

Two weeks away at the WJCs getting a chance to play for Canada would have been a great reward for Him. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Sending Benson back to the WHL to average two points a game really isn’t going to help His Development now, He has proven he belongs in the NHL. He might need to sit for a game or two as the season goes on. 

Two weeks away at the WJCs getting a chance to play for Canada would have been a great reward for Him. 

Maybe it was a JOINT decision to keep him in Buffalo. Maybe Benson would rather be an NHLer then play with kids.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Maybe it was a JOINT decision to keep him in Buffalo. Maybe Benson would rather be an NHLer than play with kids.

Lance Lysowski had an interview with Benson and in it he described how Adams told Team Canada no and explained to Benson why he wasn’t being loaned for the WJCs.  Benson is happy being in the NHL, but it doesn’t seem He had a say in the decision 

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I realize He has been the Sabres best player most nights, but the playoffs are all but dead for this team. Maybe they should have let Him go experience the WJCs. 

No way! Think of the message that sends to the rest of this roster about the organization’s failure to prioritize winning. If he’s one of our best players, he needs to stay. Results of the team were supposed to take priority this season. Especially considering we clearly aren’t hampering his development by keeping him. This shouldn’t be a “hey go enjoy a holiday break from this dogfight, kid, you earned it.”

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

return of the jedi episode 6 GIF by Star Wars

Gross 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.