Benson - Keep him here

Night Train

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Overcome by Events.  Oh no, life is happening, what am I to do.   While we’re at it, can we shoot the term “Out of pocket” into the sun.  Just heard 3 different definitions from 3 different age groups. It went from “being broke” to “out of office with limited electronic communication” to “out of your mind”.  If a phrase has that many different interpretations, maybe it just sucks. 

To me, out of pocket means spending my own money and getting reimbursed by my employer later for work related expenses.

Another explanation just to muddle things more.

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

"Out of pocket" to me roughly means that I will be unavailable:  "I will be out of pocket while I'm on vacation."  Although I also know @French Collection's definition.  The meaning of the phrase is contextually based.

Never heard this usage before.  Seems weird.

I’ve only ever heard it used in the context of paying out money in some way or another.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Never heard this usage before.  Seems weird.

I’ve only ever heard it used in the context of paying out money in some way or another.

In medical expenses, "out of pocket" literally means the portion of a bill that is not covered by insurance and there someone has to pay it themselves..."out of their own pocket."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

In medical expenses, "out of pocket" literally means the portion of a bill that is not covered by insurance and there someone has to pay it themselves..."out of their own pocket."

My boss says out of pocket all the time for not being available.  He'll say; hey man, just in case you're needing me, I'll be out of pocket until 2 PM, I'm taking care of some personal stuff.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, inkman said:

Overcome by Events.  Oh no, life is happening, what am I to do.   While we’re at it, can we shoot the term “Out of pocket” into the sun.  Just heard 3 different definitions from 3 different age groups. It went from “being broke” to “out of office with limited electronic communication” to “out of your mind”.  If a phrase has that many different interpretations, maybe it just sucks. 

WTF?! I've never heard any of those and they don't even make any sense.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

This is pretty much the universal definition I know even outside the medical world. It's anything you have to pay for yourself.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

And just like that Benson slides to .54ppg with a goal and an assist last night. Should be interesting when Quinn and Thompson return how they do the lines. 

Skinner - Tage - Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - JJP
Benson - Mitts - Greenway
VO - Krebs - KO

BUT.... that brings the 3 full scoring lines thing closer to reality, and I think Benson - Mitts - Greenway might actually be a pretty good shutdown line as well as a scoring line.  If VO just doesn't work with Krebs and KO, swap him with Greenway maybe.

But really:  VO must go.  Even playing better hockey lately, he just doesn't seem to naturally complement any line he plays on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 12:53 AM, Doohickie said:

Skinner - Tage - Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - JJP
Benson - Mitts - Greenway
VO - Krebs - KO

BUT.... that brings the 3 full scoring lines thing closer to reality, and I think Benson - Mitts - Greenway might actually be a pretty good shutdown line as well as a scoring line.  If VO just doesn't work with Krebs and KO, swap him with Greenway maybe.

But really:  VO must go.  Even playing better hockey lately, he just doesn't seem to naturally complement any line he plays on.

Skinner - Tage - Tuch
Benson- Mitts - JJP
Greenway - Cozens - Quinn
Robinson - Krebs - KO

Couple of changes, but I think this is close. Maybe a conversation for a different thread, but there might be a world where Skinner is moved at the deadline/offseason. The issue is that depending on what the return is, we may have to keep some salary just to stay above the cap floor (and get value). 

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Skinner - Tage - Tuch
Benson- Mitts - JJP
Greenway - Cozens - Quinn
Robinson - Krebs - KO

Couple of changes, but I think this is close. Maybe a conversation for a different thread, but there might be a world where Skinner is moved at the deadline/offseason. The issue is that depending on what the return is, we may have to keep some salary just to stay above the cap floor (and get value). 

No.  Sabres are $15M above the cap floor.

On 12/14/2023 at 4:36 PM, DarthEbriate said:

With Skinner out, put the kid on the top line and see how it goes. Maybe his all-around game will help them give up fewer odd-man rushes (though he is still prone to rookie penalties).

After the Vegas game last night, I'm guessing keeping him here looks good.

He does something most of our roster fails to do. Help produce chances and goals. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.