What Now?

GASabresIUFAN

I would first send Levi to Rochester.  I personally would assume that Tuch is out for a 2 more weeks, Tage for 6 weeks assuming that it is his thumb is broken and not his wrist (12 otherwise), and Quinn until the All-Star break.

Then I would assemble the best roster I can for Buffalo and figure out the best style of play needed to keep the team's heads above water until at least the New Year.  That probably means a more conservative system, particularly defending.

Then pray.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Yep.  Mitts and Cozens need to step up as 1C & 2C and keep the ship afloat.  They can do it.  We’ve seen it over the last calendar year.  It’s up to them to take control of the top 2 lines. Sprinkle in some Kulich and Rosen where needed.  Make a delicious sauce.  

it'll be a big challenge & i hope they step up, but its hard for me to expect them to. Tbh if i had to bet its probably more likely 1 of them gets injured than turning the teams fortune around. As our issues with size just got worse. I truly hope im wrong of course.

As an aside am i wrong for hoping this Tage injury doesnt bring about a Kane acquisition? You can see the storyline playing out for it. Disappointed fanbase, lost its premiere offensive threat. Kane seems like the lowhanging fruit a GM with no ideas would look to.

15 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I would first send Levi to Rochester.  I personally would assume that Tuch is out for a 2 more weeks, Tage for 6 weeks assuming that it is his thumb is broken and not his wrist (12 otherwise), and Quinn until the All-Star break.

Then I would assemble the best roster I can for Buffalo and figure out the best style of play needed to keep the team's heads above water until at least the New Year.  That probably means a more conservative system, particularly defending.

Then pray.

Right NOW Comrie isn't even off IR.  He did NOT look good when he came back from his leg injury last year. 

NONE of these goalies has seized the starter's role.  Levi lost his last start.  So did UPL.  So did Comrie.  UPL is 0-2-1 in his last 3 starts.  Comrie is 1-1-0 in his 3 starts.  Levi is 2-1-0 in his last 3 starts.

Would absolutely NOT send Levi down to Ra-cha-cha until one of the other 2 has actually claimed the crease.  This team needs wins NOW.  Unitl 1 of the goalies actually steps up and gives them a better chance of winning than the other ones do, they need to be looking at how the oppenent plays and put in the goalie that matches up best against that oppenent's style of attack.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

it'll be a big challenge & i hope they step up, but its hard for me to expect them to. Tbh if i had to bet its probably more likely 1 of them gets injured than turning the teams fortune around. As our issues with size just got worse. I truly hope im wrong of course.

As an aside am i wrong for hoping this Tage injury doesnt bring about a Kane acquisition? You can see the storyline playing out for it. Disappointed fanbase, lost its premiere offensive threat. Kane seems like the lowhanging fruit a GM with no ideas would look to.

If we were getting 2015 pre injury Kane, I’d lean that way but his injury has a zero percent success rate with NHL players. Not sure the Sabres can take that risk. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Then pray.

I would think breaking the wrist is an easier comeback... breaking your thumb is way worse...depending on the location, the thumb doesn't get mobility back... ever... and I'm a proud owner of doing both multiple times in my stupid youth...

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, inkman said:

If we were getting 2015 pre injury Kane, I’d lean that way but his injury has a zero percent success rate with NHL players. Not sure the Sabres can take that risk. 

Especially given their stance on Jack’s, let’s be real 

unless that was just phoney baloney 

48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Right NOW Comrie isn't even off IR.  He did NOT look good when he came back from his leg injury last year. 

NONE of these goalies has seized the starter's role.  Levi lost his last start.  So did UPL.  So did Comrie.  UPL is 0-2-1 in his last 3 starts.  Comrie is 1-1-0 in his 3 starts.  Levi is 2-1-0 in his last 3 starts.

Would absolutely NOT send Levi down to Ra-cha-cha until one of the other 2 has actually claimed the crease.  This team needs wins NOW.  Unitl 1 of the goalies actually steps up and gives them a better chance of winning than the other ones do, they need to be looking at how the oppenent plays and put in the goalie that matches up best against that oppenent's style of attack.

Joke's on me.  I complete forgot that Comrie is still on IR.🤣

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Especially given their stance on Jack’s, let’s be real 

unless that was just phoney baloney 

Eichel’s was due to his previous request to leave. Once he requested a departure he no longer was anything but an asset. When said asset wants to have a surgery that would be a first in his sport; you aren’t letting him have it unless your doctors are fully familiar and happy with the operation. Since they weren’t, the Sabres were not about to roll the dice on their most valued asset. 

Kane is a risk for his money spent and his on ice performance but has no potential of turning a top asset into mush. 

Why you feel the need to rehash Eichel and bring him up is beyond my comprehension. 

I’d love to see a trade to get someone but I’m unsure who particularly would fill multiple points of need, be worth the contract and not require $1.50 on the dollar.

[Levi switches off Muel-23PO so he doesn't overhear the conversation about a certain effort by Solo.]

Levi: Your backcheck on Pasta was garbage. What now?
Jef Solo: My bad. We've got to find a defensive system somewhere around here. Any ideas?
Levi: No. Where are we?
Jef Solo: The Ellis system.
Levi: Ellis system... there's not much there. [turns to camera, deadpans] It's the Matt Ellis of Defensive Systems. [applause]

Jef Solo: No. Wait... this is interesting. Granato.
Levi: Granato system?
Jef Solo: Granato's not a defensive system; he's a man. HCDG. He's an offense guy. Good for kids, high event hockey, keep the goalies busy. You'd like him.
Levi: Thanks.
Jef Solo. Yeah, you learn offense first, then focus on defense. HCDG conned a job out of somebody with it. We go back a long way, HCDG and me.
Levi: Can you trust his defense?
Jef Solo: No. Hell no! But he doesn't Kruegerize me to the 4th line, I can tell you that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

59 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Eichel’s was due to his previous request to leave. Once he requested a departure he no longer was anything but an asset. When said asset wants to have a surgery that would be a first in his sport; you aren’t letting him have it unless your doctors are fully familiar and happy with the operation. Since they weren’t, the Sabres were not about to roll the dice on their most valued asset. 

Kane is a risk for his money spent and his on ice performance but has no potential of turning a top asset into mush. 

Why you feel the need to rehash Eichel and bring him up is beyond my comprehension. 

I’d love to see a trade to get someone but I’m unsure who particularly would fill multiple points of need, be worth the contract and not require $1.50 on the dollar.

That’s the reason I bring him up, actually: specifically because it’s beyond your comprehension

😉

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

[Levi switches off Muel-23PO so he doesn't overhear the conversation about a certain effort by Solo.]

Jef Solo: My bad. We've got to find a defensive system somewhere around here. Any ideas?
Levi: Ellis system... there's not much there. [turns to camera, deadpans] It's the Matt Ellis of Defensive Systems. [applause]

Jef Solo: Granato's not a defensive system; he's a man. HCDG. He's an offense guy. Good for kids, high event hockey, keep the goalies busy. You'd like him.
Jef Solo. Yeah, you learn offense first, then focus on defense. HCDG conned a job out of somebody with it. We go back a long way, HCDG and me.
Jef Solo: No. Hell no! But he doesn't Kruegerize me to the 4th line, I can tell you that.

Love these 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

So if I give Mitts 4x6/6.5 mil with the hope that if he stays good we can retain him once Skinner's done, we'd have 18.5mil in cap next year. The issue being we also have Krebs and Jokiharju to either sign or trade and we seem to have a logjam on the roster.

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Quinn - Cozens - Peterka

Greenway - Mitts - ???

??? - ??? - ???

??? ,  ???

With those ???s we could fill them with Benson/Savoie/Kulich/Rosen/Rousek or others like Krebs/RFAs/UFAs

Defense is mostly filled with

Muel - Dahlin

R Johnson - Power

???  - Clifton

??? potential would be Jokiharju/RFA's/UFAs

Goalie

Levi , ???

??? potential would be Comrie/UPL/UFAs

The primary issue I see is a logjam of forwards and a lack of more role players. Plus a guy like Lindholm would be a center meaning we are then likely running

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Greenway - Mitts - Cozens

Quinn - Lindholm - Quinn

??? - ??? - ???

??? , ???

To retain him it would at very least cost 6 to 7mil as well leaving us with very little to play with to fill the goalie spot along with 5/7 D plus 10/11/12/13/14F

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

THAT was well done.  Bravo, or whatever passes for praise in your long since past galaxy located oh so far away.

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Levi situation is the goaltender version of Mitts.  Mitts signed after his college season ended and was excellent with 5 pts in 6 games.  The next season Jbot threw him to the wolves and although he survived the season, it was pretty clear he wasn’t NHL ready.  

Levi signs after his college season and was mostly excellent in his 7 game tryout.  KA anoints him the no.1 G and it’s clear now he’s not ready for the job.   Like Mitts before him he should have been sent down.  Let’s not make the same mistake twice.  Send Levi down and let him earn his way back. 

It’s sad when UPL is the best option, but that’s the bed KA made for us and the team.  

Beautiful analogy.  Well said. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Levi situation is the goaltender version of Mitts.  Mitts signed after his college season ended and was excellent with 5 pts in 6 games.  The next season Jbot threw him to the wolves and although he survived the season, it was pretty clear he wasn’t NHL ready.  

Levi signs after his college season and was mostly excellent in his 7 game tryout.  KA anoints him the no.1 G and it’s clear now he’s not ready for the job.   Like Mitts before him he should have been sent down.  Let’s not make the same mistake twice.  Send Levi down and let him earn his way back. 

It’s sad when UPL is the best option, but that’s the bed KA made for us and the team.  

I give the kid another game but yeah, he should go down and play a lot.  

• Agree 1

Sending Levi down is dumb. Competitors hate to lose. He’ll learn more as a Sabre than an Amerk.

I’d rather have these injuries now than in March.

They just need to tread water until New Years. Figure some sh!t out, then turn it up in Jan.

I’m hoping another young guy (Kulich, Rousek) shines through and that Cozens find himself again.

I’m already looking forward to the Sabres losing to the Bruins in the first round.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

Would Nashville at least consider 

BUFs 2024 1st Top 10 Protected, Krebs, UPL and Rosen 

for Saros

That would be a 1st, a recent 1st and a former 1st plus a goalie

Thats at least 2+ 1sts in value.

My other intriguing idea would be Boone Jenner if the Blue Jackets keep spiraling. He could be a very solid 3C until Thompson returns and then shift to wing. Adds grit, experience and some solid depth 

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

So does anyone have some targets the Sabres could realistically go after and then extend if needed?

One of the problems is likely that all or at least most of these better veteran guys have modified no trade clauses and I'd bet anything Buffalo is near the top of most of those lists. Only Arizona and some of the colder Canadian spots might be higher for some. 

Not sure the Sharks have anyone worth looking at but I'm sure they'd be happy to deal any older veteran as they are pure tank. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Marvin said:

Then pray.

They are already are playing a more conservative system that focuses more on defense.  Isn’t that the plan, to teach defense this year?   Isn’t that byproduct the lower GF?  

Losing Tage, Tuch and Quinn is like losing the first line, the PP, and part of the PK.  

What is the best roster with only five decent forwards?  Mitts, Skinner, Peterka, Cozens , Greenway ….  that’s it.  Maybe Benson helps if he can .  

Maybe a checking line with either Krebs or Jost centering  Girgs and Rousek. 

After that you have Kyle and VO centered by Krebs or Jost to get some filler minutes   

Adam’s did it again.  He overrated his players once again. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Would Nashville at least consider 

BUFs 2024 1st Top 10 Protected, Krebs, UPL and Rosen 

for Saros

That would be a 1st, a recent 1st and a former 1st plus a goalie

Thats at least 2+ 1sts in value.

My other intriguing idea would be Boone Jenner if the Blue Jackets keep spiraling. He could be a very solid 3C until Thompson returns and then shift to wing. Adds grit, experience and some solid depth 

Nashville would take that.  That is too rich. UPL might turn out to be good, then you are adding 3 equivalent firsts. 

Boone Jenner is a fine player that has played his best hockey already, but he is still better than half of the forwards in our lineup. 

13 hours ago, sabremike said:

GET RID OF THE AMATEUR DEVELOPMENT COACH WHO CAN'T COACH HIS WAY OUT OF A PAPER BAG AND HIRE A GODDAMED LEGITIMATE NHL QUALITY COACH WITH A TRACK RECORD OF GETTING THE JOB.

The cold, hard truth. Rather than crying and bemoaning the loss of their gentle father, the players would be doing back flips if they ever got an NHL coach like Gallant. It's a business for them. And they want to win. These same players will also tell you they need an actual GM, or Kevyn needs to do his job.

You can take that to the bank. These are not wide eyed children.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

I don’t think the Sabres will or should panic. Making a trade for a center or other players at this point may just keep us treading water as a borderline almost winning team. Or fail just as bad and have fewer assets.

I see no on ice direction to this team. It’s like Granato throws the puck on the ice and says “go play hockey.” I wouldn’t fire him today but unless we make a big run he should be gone. I’d look to fire him in January. and just let an interim take over.

I think we need a coach with experience in a good organization. I posted this in the Penguins thread but this guy seems ideal:

Jay Leach, Seattle Kraken assistant coach

After four years as the head coach of the AHL Providence Bruins, Leach was hired as one of the inaugural assistant coaches with the Seattle Kraken prior to the 2021-22 season. He was in consideration for the Bruins' head coaching job this past summer after Bruce Cassidy was fired, with the B's picking Jim Montgomery. Leach was described by one former colleague as "warm and engaging."

"If you spend 15 minutes in conversation with him, you'll realize he has that 'it' factor," the former colleague said. "Like, this guy is a leader of men. Someone you'd have no problem being front-facing for your organization."

A few more options. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/35930681/who-top-candidates-nhl-coach-gm-jobs?platform=amp

At least Leach comes out of a winning organization that develops players, that plays tough hockey, and has his feet wet as a head coach and now assistant in the NHL. 

I  don’t see a Scotty Bowman sitting out there. But the coaching has to change. 

I also don’t think that means a huge turnover in player personnel. Depending on the coach. The talent and youth is there to mold. They need an actual system and some toughness added. Both instilled within the players and 1-2 vets who play hard nosed hockey. (Greenway doesn’t supply that and while he has been decent on the penalty kill he doesn’t do much else. I’d send him away). 

I would see where we are on January 15 or 30. Unless we go on one of those 10 game losing streak benders before that. But I’d be combing the coaching carousel and looking at a guy like Leach. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.