The Elephant In the Sabres' Room: Fixing the Power Play

bob_sauve28

1 minute ago, inkman said:

I’m sure it’s a minor flaw but I see way too many players on the Sabres PP receiving the puck on their backhand with no chance for a one timer.  Everyone other than Tage is playing in a spot where this occurs more often than not. 

Cozens as the high right guy is the worst offender.

The more I think about it, I’d like to see them put Dahlin there. He’s got a good shot and is a lefty. 

More importantly, he’s got the passing ability to thread the box and find Tage and Tuch (better yet Quinn) on the other side.

Power can certainly be the high guy effectively.

And I’d replace Skinner with Mitts. Jeff is just too chaotic.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

The more I think about it, I’d like to see them put Dahlin there. He’s got a good shot and is a lefty. 

More importantly, he’s got the passing ability to thread the box and find Tage and Tuch (better yet Quinn) on the other side.

Skinny is good for one major gaffe per game on the PP.  Usually just handing the puck to the opposition with an ill advised pass. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You make a great point about the necessity to move the puck more quickly. I listened to Marty Biron commenting on the ineffectiveness of our PP: His comment mirrored exactly what you said:  that they need to move the puck more quickly. 

The quicker the puck moves, the harder it is for the PK structure to be maintained.  Lazy passes along the outside are exactly what the PK wants.

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m sure it’s a minor flaw but I see way too many players on the Sabres PP receiving the puck on their backhand with no chance for a one timer.  Everyone other than Tage is playing in a spot where this occurs more often than not. 

I don't think this is a minor flaw at all.  It slowly puck movement down, which in turn makes the PP easier to defend.

• Like (+1) 1

I could be totally wrong and maybe it just feels this way...but, it seems as though when we are on the kill, we lose the face off and the opponent sits in our zone for the next 45 seconds. When we are on the pp, we lose the draw and it takes 90 seconds to set up for the first shot. It feels like we lose faceoffs a lot more on special teams compared to the rest of the game. Any stats on those? No graphs, that is way over my head....

Moving the puck more quickly will help.

I would like to see Tage move around, if they are covering his one timer move to the net front for a few seconds to screen the goalie and confuse the D. Move to the bumper position where the threat of a shot, dangle or pass can confuse opponents. Then back to the left dot. Find open ice.

I like the idea of Mitts handling the puck below the goal line, he can draw coverage and eyeballs while someone finds a soft spot.

Tuch’s only purpose on the PP is zone entries, try him as a net front presence.

JJP could be an option for zone entries and right dot shot.

They have to try something other than the Dahlin drop pass to TNT/Tuch for entries and moving the puck around the umbrella up high.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Like that they've put Mittelstadt on the top PP.  But he should be the bumper.  

You're suggestion of moving Dahlin to the right boards is interesting.  And it could work.

Would love to have Skinner off that unit and have been advocating for it for a long time.  Rarely call for it anymore because there is no way Granato pulls him off that unit.  But if he were off it, would put Cozens down low in his spot.  Tuch is the obvious choice to be there, but he doesn't ever seem to set a screen when he's rotated to that spot.  Greenway would be another possibility but not sure his hands are good enough to clean up the rebounds that they'd hopefully be generating.  Also, not sure that they should have both of their F's from the top PK unit getting 1st line PP minutes too.

If going with the traditional set up w/ Dahlin up top, would have Peterka on the 1/2 wall opposite Thompson.  Going with your idea of Dahlin there, would put Power at the top of the unit.  Johnson could run the 2nd unit.  That could have Tuch, Skinner, Peterka, and if they're in the lineup one of Benson or Savoie at the bumper rounding out that 2nd unit.

3 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Moving the puck more quickly will help.

I would like to see Tage move around, if they are covering his one timer move to the net front for a few seconds to screen the goalie and confuse the D. Move to the bumper position where the threat of a shot, dangle or pass can confuse opponents. Then back to the left dot. Find open ice.

I like the idea of Mitts handling the puck below the goal line, he can draw coverage and eyeballs while someone finds a soft spot.

Tuch’s only purpose on the PP is zone entries, try him as a net front presence.

JJP could be an option for zone entries and right dot shot.

They have to try something other than the Dahlin drop pass to TNT/Tuch for entries and moving the puck around the umbrella up high.

Yes, moving the puck quickly will help.  But they can't just move the puck, they need to move themselves too.  Their PP tends to be very static once they finally set up and the D get into the passing/shooting lanes leaving them just moving the puck around the perimeter hoping either Tage gets lost somehow and actually gets the shooting lane or Tuch can get a deflection on a shot from Dahlin.

• Agree 1

I have not seen the last 3 games, but it sounds like the PP hasn't gotten any better from the games before then.  From what I've seen, they don't get enough shots on goal and when they do, there's no traffic in front and the goalie make the easy save.  They need to get some shots on goal with the goalie being screened.  That should lead to some shots getting through the goalie and other shots creating rebounds, that lead to high-percentage chances.  The Sabres have more than enough offensive skill to have a PP that's in the top third of the league.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I could be totally wrong and maybe it just feels this way...but, it seems as though when we are on the kill, we lose the face off and the opponent sits in our zone for the next 45 seconds. When we are on the pp, we lose the draw and it takes 90 seconds to set up for the first shot. It feels like we lose faceoffs a lot more on special teams compared to the rest of the game. Any stats on those? No graphs, that is way over my head....

I guess at least two of us are in agreement. 👍🏻

5 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

I want more STP, but coupled with planting a screen in front of goalie.  Either it helps prevent the goalie from seeing it and/or maybe ties up a defender which can further help the screen while creating more open space in the zone.

Yes, that's the key, not just STP but also the net front. Without the net front you just risk losing possession or a stoppage after an easy save. Then we lose the face off and it's another 20 seconds off the clock or more. 

We've had the net front problem for ages though. Even Kreuger recognized it and tried to stick his biggest immovable object in there (Risto) and it worked a little, but in general most of our guys are around the goal but not in tight enough for it to matter. 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Stay teal, Ponyboy

R is for *real, I presume.

Anyway,

Yous guys have got it all wrong ...

STP = Standard Temperature and Preasure

The Sabres need to apply standardized temperature and preasure and that Elephant will run away as if a mouse has entered the Sabres room.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Sabres Fan in NS said:

R is for *real, I presume.

Anyway,

Yous guys have got it all wrong ...

STP = Standard Temperature and Preasure

The Sabres need to apply standardized temperature and preasure and that Elephant will run away as if a mouse has entered the Sabres room.

No sir it’s you who had it wrong 

Pressure 

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Agreed... He does too much figure skating around the blueline for my liking.  If they paint a 10x10' square in front of the net and make him stay there, then maybe he'd be fine!!

To run two good PP units you need at least 7 good forwards (preferably 8).  Right now we have 6 (TNT, Skinner, Mitts, Tuch, Cozens, and JJP).  That means we are two forwards short.  The rest of the forwards have either been ineffective (Z, KO, Jost, Krebs, and VO), rookies (Benson (IR), Savoie, Rousak, and Biro (IR) or lack the necessary skill set (Greenway). 

To diminish this issue, I'd like to see the 2nd unit feature Greenway as a net-front presence and a 2nd D (Joki or Clifton) to pair with Power. If VO gets out of the dog house, I'd add him to the 2nd unit over a 2nd D.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.