GDT: Sabres @ Flyers - November 1, 2023 - 7:00PM, TNT/MAX/MSG-B📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

40 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I've read this post several times, and it has a peculiar power to both confuse and enlighten me.

Also: Sabrespace HOF post, imo. Just a sparkler.

Agree. POTY. What has confounded me over the years is how and why people give goalies the "didn't have a chance" excuse. I guess I know why. You were a goalie in grade school floor hockey and are scarred by all the leakers. You have a narrative about a certain goalie. You have a plum job as an analyst for Terry Frackbags. There's a bare minimum percentage of shots you have to stop to stay in the bigs. Period. Those saves by definition have to include many you had no business stopping. If you didn't have a chance on that deflection, the next save on a deflection must be pure luck?

40 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What was it?

(On a broadcast note, Dan failed on Biro's first NHL goal. He didn't make it special for the young man. He is a functional NHL player with no finish around the goal. Dan, not BB.)

They did a nice tribute during a break in action. I don’t recall if it was late first period or early second.

It started with the Brad May replay, the goal, the frantic May Day call, they then switched the camera to the RJ emblem on a Sabres players jersey - zooming into the emblem from a distance to up close.  Last, they showed a shot of him in later years, headset on calling the PBP.  

They talked about him passing away, his long time service with the Sabres, the iconic calls, the friendly personality, the knowledge, the great players he saw over 50+ years in NHL, the many people he knew, Hall of Fame, Hewitt award, etc.  It was well done IMO.  

Ed Olczyk mentioned RJ was big into horse racing, something they both have in common, and he will miss talking to him. 

It was good, very nice of them, sincere, and not overblown.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

I didn't watch last night.  Was Bryson his usual awfulness?

Not awful, but sheltered.  He played 8 minutes. He got pushed around at times and finished -1, he was credited with 1 hit and 2 blocked shots.  He did ok, mostly invisible.  

The Sabres blocked 18 shots as a team.  Joker, Power and Dahlin all saved goals IMO.  

I still cannot believe how slow and lifeless they were. 

• Like (+1) 3

At some point we should be concerned about how they look for a 60 minute game, but not on game 10. 

They are finding ways to win games.  That is most important now.  5 and 5 after 10 is not great.  Not even good.  But it's not bad either. 

The Sabres are slowly putting it together.  We see it in spurts in many games.  Last night was one of those.  The Colorado game was perfect all round.

Any time the Sabres play the Flyers I am very happy with a win no matter how it looked.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Night Train said:

Samuelson had cement feet much of the game and got run over twice. That isn't the first time smaller guys just truck him.  Concerning.

Samuelsson had 6 hits.  The team total was 13.  

Joker had a nice game after a bad start, he blocked 5 shots.   

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

At some point we should be concerned about how they look for a 60 minute game, but not on game 10. 

They are finding ways to win games.  That is most important now.  5 and 5 after 10 is not great.  Not even good.  But it's not bad either. 

The Sabres are slowly putting it together.  We see it in spurts in many games.  Last night was one of those.  The Colorado game was perfect all round.

Any time the Sabres play the Flyers I am very happy with a win no matter how it looked.

True.  The Power Play is by far the worst aspect of their game.  It’s shockingly bad and they give up odd man rushes against us. 

Pressure - the opponent just puts pressure on whoever has the puck.  The last thing they will do is stand and defend, and let us pass the puck.  

Edited by Pimlach

13 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Most goals you can't blame on the goalie. If they save all the ones they're supposed to get, you might have an .800 goalie. A real NHL goalie makes proportionally more saves on all the goals you can't be blamed for. 

UPL saves comparably less of the goals he can't be blamed for, and let's a few in he's supposed to get too.

200.gif?cid=60e32e67lqvkhhfw3g5z0mpp3zkq

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

True.  The Power Play is by far the worst aspect of their game.  It’s shockingly bad and they give up odd man rushed against us. 

Pressure - the opponent just puts pressure on whoever has the puck.  The last thing they will do is stand and defend, and let us pass the puck.  

Punch - Did Dodo put an extra shot of espresso in your Americana this morning?  You are on 🔥!

1 minute ago, Broken Ankles said:

Punch - Did Dodo put an extra shot of espresso in your Americana this morning?  You are on 🔥!

I didn’t sleep.  Took my wife to the hospital last night, heart trouble.  She is being tested right now and I am waiting … 

I must be escaping the stress.  Sleep can wait. 

• Sad 10

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I didn’t sleep.  Took my wife to the hospital last night, heart trouble.  She is being tested right now and I am waiting … 

I'm glad I didn't make a Dodo joke. Best wishes to the real Mrs.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Samuelsson had 6 hits.  The team total was 13.  

Joker had a nice game after a bad start, he blocked 5 shots.   

Yeah but sometimes a moment is so stark it becomes iconic in a way. That was startling to see an NHL defensemen just erased from a play like that.

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you your wife.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Agree. POTY. What has confounded me over the years is how and why people give goalies the "didn't have a chance" excuse. I guess I know why. You were a goalie in grade school floor hockey and are scarred by all the leakers. You have a narrative about a certain goalie. You have a plum job as an analyst for Terry Frackbags. There's a bare minimum percentage of shots you have to stop to stay in the bigs. Period. Those saves by definition have to include many you had no business stopping. If you didn't have a chance on that deflection, the next save on a deflection must be pure luck?

There are shots that a goalie has no chance on.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

And what if there are too many of them? They don't stay employed long.

The conundrum of your seemingly obvious statement is that inexplicably it cannot be true.

It is absolutely true. Human reaction time has its limits and it is a team game.

2 hours ago, John Tucker said:

I didn't watch last night.  Was Bryson his usual awfulness?

I am not a fan of Bryson to say the least, but in 2 games this season he has played well. He looks much stronger on the boards and the puck and his passing is crisp. I hope he keeps it up as he is obviously well like by the organization.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Prayers and good vibes your way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.