Zach Benson's NHL tryout, 2023

LGR4GM

What is the status of Savoie? He has got to be ready to play games at this point. Do they send him down to the Amerks on a conditioning stint? 

With Benson I am wondering if Kane comes into play. They decide Benson needs to go back but can’t have VO as the full time winger in the lineup. If they have an idea Kane is going to sign then it makes it easier to return Benson to junior.

Edit: and the minute I post it they announce Savoie is headed to Rochester on a conditioning stint😃

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Flashsabre said:

What is the status of Savoie? He has got to be ready to play games at this point. Do they send him down to the Amerks on a conditioning stint? 

With Benson I am wondering if Kane comes into play. They decide Benson needs to go back but can’t have VO as the full time winger in the lineup. If they have an idea Kane is going to sign then it makes it easier to return Benson to junior.

I don't get Buffalo fans obsession with Kane if it was 4 years ago sure the guy is just a name now.

And his defensive game is absolutely horrendous.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, Buffalonill said:

I don't get Buffalo fans obsession with Kane if it was 4 years ago sure the guy is just a name now.

And his defensive game is absolutely horrendous.

Yes but his offensive game is still very good when healthy. The guy is a world class hockey player who is a free agent and has been connected to Buffalo by every insider. He instantly makes the PP much better. That is why there is interest in talking about him. 

Just now, Flashsabre said:

Yes but his offensive game is still very good when healthy. The guy is a world class hockey player who is a free agent and has been connected to Buffalo by every insider. He instantly makes the PP much better. That is why there is interest in talking about him. 

Wouldn't you rather Have one of the rookies take his spot ? He's not what he used to be .

This will be like getting eric Staal again 

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Wouldn't you rather Have one of the rookies take his spot ? He's not what he used to be .

There’s certainly a middle ground between over the hill vet and green grass rookie 

Just now, Buffalonill said:

I don’t think the rookies are ready quite yet.

Im not judging Kane on last year when he tried to play through the hip injury. Before that he was still his usual self.

I think he is much better than last year.

Im just connecting the dots.Im not banging the table for him but there is a lot of smoke around so let’s see how it plays out.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Patrick Kane played in the NHL as an 18-year-old at Benson’s exact size.

Played every game. In fact, he missed only 11 games total in his first 5 seasons.

Didn’t Kane post the best USNTDP numbers ever? I don’t think they are comparable as prospects. I know you’re speaking more to their sizes, but I’d be surprised if Benson has a higher hockey IQ than Kane did at 18 to help him stay slippery. 

9 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Didn’t Kane post the best USNTDP numbers ever? I don’t think they are comparable as prospects. I know you’re speaking more to their sizes, but I’d be surprised if Benson has a higher hockey IQ than Kane did at 18 to help him stay slippery. 

There’s also a 7 month difference, which, the younger you are, is a greater relative amount of time 

to a growing kid that can be an eternity

It’s the difference between now and our likely offseason 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Kane had 72 points as a rookie. He wasn’t Jack Quinn or JJ Peterka. If Benson is only Quinn or Peterka does that mean he doesn’t belong?

58 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There’s also a 7 month difference, which, the younger you are, is a greater relative amount of time 

to a growing kid that can be an eternity

It’s the difference between now and our likely offseason 

I am speaking to them being the same size at 18 and that not holding Kane back.

My entire point is size becomes irrelevant if your awareness and your attitude (and, of course, your skill) are at a sufficiently high level.

We don’t know yet if Benson is at the level, but it doesn’t matter how big he is, what matters is how good he is.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Kane had 72 points as a rookie. He wasn’t Jack Quinn or JJ Peterka. If Benson is only Quinn or Peterka does that mean he doesn’t belong?

I am speaking to them being the same size at 18 and that not holding Kane back.

My entire point is size becomes irrelevant if your awareness and your attitude (and, of course, your skill) are at a sufficiently high level.

We don’t know yet if Benson is at the level, but it doesn’t matter how big he is, what matters is how good he is.

I’m not sure it ever becomes irrelevant, probably depends on the player 

listed heights and weights vary in accuracy and one man’s 5’10 185 isn’t necessarily the same as another’s 5’10 185, we know that. There’s so much more to body composition. 

im not saying Benson can’t manage: not at all. But Kane had 7 more months of his body developing into HIS proper height/weight, without those 7 months I can’t say Benson’s physicality is at the spot it needs to be for HIS stature to not be a hindrance 

- - - 

What is Kane anyway, 5’10 177? Obviously we know a player with those markers CAN succeed in the NHL, but what those numbers represent for the specific feasibility of BENSON’s stature isn’t a certainty 

Edited by Thorny

Comapring Benson to a HOFer doesn’t make sense.  It didn’t when we compared Martin St Louis to Gerbe either.

More apt, because the talent levels are likely closer, how many Danny Briere’s or Donald Audette’s played a full season at 18?

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Comapring Benson to a HOFer doesn’t make sense.  It didn’t when we compared Martin St Louis to Gerbe either.

More apt, because the talent levels are likely closer, how many Danny Briere’s or Donald Audette’s played a full season at 18?

Do you know *how many* tires Danny flipped to get himself where he needed to be? 

no actually. Do you know how many? I need a number 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

When healthy - 
A 35 year old coming off a major hip surgery is a big question mark.  

I think the only reason he is connected to Buffalo is because his agent has to convince other teams that a team with cap room is in on the bidding.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not at all. Im suggesting little guys can thrive with the right mix of awareness and attitude, like Marchand has for 15 years.

I’m pushing back against the predisposition he’s going to fail because of things that have nothing to do with how he actually plays.

For me, it was and is, always going to be a long haul thing with Benson: against expectations, he’s earned his chance; can he sustain it?

He’s looked like he’s belonged in 2 games, looked like an impact player against the Islanders and looked overwhelmed against Calgary.

It’s a story that’s still being written.

I just think the slower more detailed development path is the right way to go for most players and small players especially. You want a little 18 year old in your line up you better surround him with some beef. I'd also want more veteran leadership around. So give it time. Put him on a muscle building plan. Let him grow. I see a future for him, there's just no need to rush it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We’re in agreement, then. Ability, not size is what matters.

Not entirely.  I think physical development is also a huge factor.  I have no idea where Benson sits in that regard, and I am not inclined to speculate on it.

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

Do you know *how many* tires Danny flipped to get himself where he needed to be? 

no actually. Do you know how many? I need a number 

2, during a freak roadside incident when he had two tires punctured by a piece of scrap lumber fell off a truck.

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

Not entirely.  I think physical development is also a huge factor.  I have no idea where Benson sits in that regard, and I am not inclined to speculate on it.

2, during a freak roadside incident when he had two tires punctured by a piece of scrap lumber fell off a truck.

That’s some final destination type shite

25 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I hate to say it, but Benson was pretty ineffective last night vs Ottawa.  I'm starting to think they're gonna send him down to juniors once his 9 games are up.

Although I do like that he is willing to mix it up along the boards.  I also liked that he gave an Ott player a "love tap" on the back of the leg after a cross-check in front of the net.

41 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I hate to say it, but Benson was pretty ineffective last night vs Ottawa.  I'm starting to think they're gonna send him down to juniors once his 9 games are up.

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Although I do like that he is willing to mix it up along the boards.  I also liked that he gave an Ott player a "love tap" on the back of the leg after a cross-check in front of the net.

The Sabres have plenty of kids ready in Rochester that should make an impact.  Kulich, Rosen, Rousek, Biro and maybe Savoie.  No need for Benson to play in Buffalo this season.  Sucks that he can’t go to Roch for half a season.  Probably exactly what he needs. 

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly don't see either Savoie or Benson sticking with the Sabres at this point.  The Sabres are in a fight for the playoffs and this is a time for more NHL experience not less.  If this were 2 years ago or last season, I'd say why not keep both, but winning is now the objective and unless they make us clearly better, go back to the CHL work on 200-foot hockey and get stronger. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Had that on my mind too, especially when got Kulich in Rochester.    Savoie might get his 9 games shot when Benson is send down.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.