Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

But that only took a week! It’s barely enough time to reach double digits in people talked to!

It’s almost like Treliving knew who he wanted to hire before he fired Keefe and he didn’t even do a thorough search.

😜

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

So Columbus, NJ, LA, Seattle need a HC. I find it interesting that Gallant’s name really isn’t prominent in any of these searchs. 

Reputation for not getting along with GMs. Probably true. I think a GM afraid of losing his job might make the move but a GM who thinks he's safe might shy away.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hard to say, but maybe Marner agrees to waive his no trade clause for some teams. Nylander might be fine. Matthews hard to say. Clash of egos or he buys in like Eichel did with Cassidy? 

Thing is, Eichel had sort of hit rock bottom. Hadn’t played in a year, when he did play that year, wasn’t that good, then had a big drama with the Sabres. It had to be a humbling experience.

Matthews? He’s at the top of his game, probably doesn’t think his poop stinks, and likely thinks he’s a god, like Marner does. Doubt he’s going to want a coach coming in to knock him off his game. 

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

Thing is, Eichel had sort of hit rock bottom. Hadn’t played in a year, when he did play that year, wasn’t that good, then had a big drama with the Sabres. It had to be a humbling experience.

Matthews? He’s at the top of his game, probably doesn’t think his poop stinks, and likely thinks he’s a god, like Marner does. Doubt he’s going to want a coach coming in to knock him off his game. 

I think the Vegas locker room and team culture had a lot to do with it as well. That was a fairly close knit team and Eichel knew people were doubting him and he wanted badly to show he was not the problem, the Sabres were. 

idk about Matthews. He seems like a diva and a bit of a d*ck but if they change the team maybe he adapts. Maybe not. I definitely don't see Marner changing though. He's never shown anything in that direction. 

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

Canucks have 5 shots after 28 minutes. Trail in the game 2-1 but are up in the series 3-2.

They have done well with few shots all series long.

Broadcast said that Joshua leads the playoffs in hits.

He will since he's still playing. Tied with Coyle at the moment with 59. 

Which is a pretty high total as they are only half way through. Gudas had the most hits last year for the full playoffs with 91. 

Much more hitting in the East this year than the West overall. Vancouver has the most hits by a Western team though by a fair bit. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/nhl-hits-leaders-2024-playoffs

22 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Here is something else to chew on about the Pegula hires.

Granato joins a list of coaches fired by the Sabres who may never get another Head Coaching gig. He is not mentioned as a possible candidate for any of the numerous jobs.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Housley finds his way back to a head coaching job at some point. He’s got the associate job with the rags right now. People will come calling with a little more success there. 

And Bylsma is racking up the wins with Coachella Valley in the AHL. Seattle hasn’t hired anyone yet, right? 

and right as I start googling I find this

On 5/15/2024 at 2:38 PM, Flashsabre said:

Friedman: Blue Jackets' GM search

“Kings senior adviser to the GM Marc Bergevin and Kraken assistant GM Jason Botterill are believed to have talked to Columbus, but it doesn't appear that a decision is imminent.”

Oh please hire Botts.

I’ve been thinking about this one. Was Botterill really that bad? Sure, there was a trade of a 6th for a later 6th. Truly a boneheaded move and I wonder why he did it. But the rest of our current team is basically Botterill’s. Besides that, if the rumors were true, Pegs forced the signing of Skinner on him. And, whether we truly think ROR had to go, Pegs also forced him to trade him prior to the bonus payout.

The Krueger hire was a bad one, but the hire sounded more like no one else wanted the job. The Nylander pick was bad and I don’t think we really found anyone of worth in the latter rounds. If anything, it’s negative on him for not listening to his scouting staff, which are virtually the same people around today. 

36 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I’ve been thinking about this one. Was Botterill really that bad? Sure, there was a trade of a 6th for a later 6th. Truly a boneheaded move and I wonder why he did it. But the rest of our current team is basically Botterill’s. Besides that, if the rumors were true, Pegs forced the signing of Skinner on him. And, whether we truly think ROR had to go, Pegs also forced him to trade him prior to the bonus payout.

The Krueger hire was a bad one, but the hire sounded more like no one else wanted the job. The Nylander pick was bad and I don’t think we really found anyone of worth in the latter rounds. If anything, it’s negative on him for not listening to his scouting staff, which are virtually the same people around today. 

Murray drafted Nylander

31 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Murray drafted Nylander

Unquestionably a big miss on that one. There were some big mistakes all over in that draft though. We could have picked Tyson Jost (picked just 2 spots later than Nylander) 🙂

Imagine if we'd picked McAvoy. That was probably the only draft the Bruins won in recent memory with McAvoy and Frederic in the first round. Imagine if we'd picked McAvoy first round and Lindgren second (or even Peeke). Our entire D conversation over these years would have been different. But alas, we got Nylander and Asplund.   Is KA still making these same mistakes? Time will tell. 

All our GMs in these bad years are the same. Inexperienced guys who made big mistakes and the coaching hires have been horrible. Besides Kreuger, I think Jbots biggest mistake was trading Foligno. Heart and soul guys matter. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Besides Kreuger, I think Jbots biggest mistake was trading Foligno. Heart and soul guys matter. 

Collecting prospects was more important than setting up a team for the the prospects to slide into.

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

Edited by Weave
  • Agree 1