Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

53 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

When were they "real good" this year? You mean that one game against the Leafs?

I loved when we smoked Vegas (oh and then we beat them in Vegas 5-2  as well)...and we beat Colorado and the Oilers in a game where we had to beat them twice. There were other good ones as well...heck we even beat your beloved Bruins twice

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

I loved when we smoked Vegas (oh and then we beat them in Vegas 5-2  as well)...and we beat Colorado and the Oilers in a game where we had to beat them twice. There were other good ones as well...heck we even beat your beloved Bruins twice

Your bar is very low.

3 hours ago, TheAud said:

I’m at the Avs-Rangers game. Casey just scored a nice goal for the Avs to take a 1-0 lead late in the second. Super intense game between two great teams. Good for him!

MacKinnon and Rantanen playing over 28 minutes.  

They’re the first and second line.

I’m not sure I’m buying Colorado as a top 3 favorite for the Cup.  Great team.  But way too reliant on 3 guys. 

1 hour ago, Second Line Center said:

MacKinnon and Rantanen playing over 28 minutes.  

They’re the first and second line.

I’m not sure I’m buying Colorado as a top 3 favorite for the Cup.  Great team.  But way too reliant on 3 guys. 

This was the critique last year too. No way that can survive the playoff grind. Same still holds for Edmonton imo. You need real solid depth for a deep playoff run. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This was the critique last year too. No way that can survive the playoff grind. Same still holds for Edmonton imo. You need real solid depth for a deep playoff run. 

I think the thing that favors the Avs over a team like the Oilers is their blueline. When you have Makar and Toews back there (mostly Makar) who carries the puck a LOT, then you don't need McKinnon (or the other forwards) expending as much energy carrying the puck up the ice.   I agree I do not like when forwards get well over 20 minutes of ice time average for the season...but the teams that do that with a STRONGER presense on the blue line are, at least slightly, better off for it.

I still thing Toronto has a chance this year ane next year to take a deep playoff run, but I have doubts as to how thier top 2 lines will hold up having to play every-other-night for week after week after week.  Their top lines don't get a HUGE number for ice time, but when they are out there, they have to work really hard and they are relied on so much.

Carolina, on the other hand, they are just solid.  116 and 113 points the last 2 seasons. (the shortened year before they were on 'pace' for 117) On pace for 110 this year after a very rocky start. And they do not wear down ANYONE on the team. Top 4 D-men all around 20 minutes (no one anywhere near 25+ like the Sabres do). No forwards averageing even over 20. Even strength, the top line and the 4th line are only about 3 minutes per game apart in ice time (they really DO roll 4 lines out there)

Edited by mjd1001

14 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I think the thing that favors the Avs over a team like the Oilers is their blueline. When you have Makar and Toews back there (mostly Makar) who carries the puck a LOT, then you don't need McKinnon (or the other forwards) expending as much energy carrying the puck up the ice.   I agree I do not like when forwards get well over 20 minutes of ice time average for the season...but the teams that do that with a STRONGER presense on the blue line are, at least slightly, better off for it.

I still thing Toronto has a chance this year ane next year to take a deep playoff run, but I have doubts as to how thier top 2 lines will hold up having to play every-other-night for week after week after week.  Their top lines don't get a HUGE number for ice time, but when they are out there, they have to work really hard and they are relied on so much.

Carolina, on the other hand, they are just solid.  116 and 113 points the last seasons. On pace for 110 this year after a very rocky start. And they do not wear down ANYONE on the team. Top 4 D-men all around 20 minutes (no one anywhere near 25+ like the Sabres do). No forwards averageing even over 20. Even strength, the top line and the 4th line are only about 3 minutes per game apart in ice time (they really DO roll 4 lines out there)

Funny thing is that when Rantanen came to play for team Finland in IIHF WC he did not play near as good as expected, a reason was believed that the ice time was shared more equally in team Finland and he never found the right pace in his game.

Even being a Sabre fan, My favourite player is Sebastian Aho. As you said the Canes roll 4 lines with small differenses in ice time. What impresses me with Aho is how much points he makes and how much more points than the player with second most points on the team he has. 

29 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Wings get the loser point. Doesn’t help us much, but we can still gain a point tonight

So?

You should realize that even if we win every single game left all Washington has to do is play .500 hockey (which is below their season play level) and we still miss the playoffs but sure keep dreaming. 

• Eyeroll 1

It’s kind of funny to look at the standings with the way some around here obsess over the <redacted poster name> 500. The Sabres have one less win than Washington, Philly, and Detroit. 

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, shrader said:

It’s kind of funny to look at the standings with the way some around here obsess over the <redacted poster name> 500. The Sabres have one less win than Washington, Philly, and Detroit. 

Taro would be living it up if he was posting. We are the definition of the outlier this year. Usually being close to DeLuca implies aptitude because usually a team isn’t losing all their games in regulation: not the case with us this year thus outside looking in 

sometimes the DeLuca teams aren’t actually good. It’s just not usually the case 

34 minutes ago, French Collection said:

The Islanders and their 15 loser points. The Sabres lost a lot of close games in regulation, I hope they realize how valuable even one point is.

At the end of the day the loser point is actually for playing a team to a tie in the only format that matters/is actually reflective. The points are well-earned because they are reflective of us being worse in regulation 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

So?

You should realize that even if we win every single game left all Washington has to do is play .500 hockey (which is below their season play level) and we still miss the playoffs but sure keep dreaming. 

Lighten up dude, we’re all obviously aware of the situation

• Vomit 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

After tonight,  Washington has 3 games in hand.... lol

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

At the end of the day the loser point is actually for playing a team to a tie in the only format that matters/is actually reflective. The points are well-earned because they are reflective of us being worse in regulation 

It really is very simple: keep games out of column two. That will take you somewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

They need to have a sense of urgency to get at least a point, even in October.

A couple of those points and they are in the thick of this, as unlikely as it seems for a .500 team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1