Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

That’s the kind of win that’s basically like yea they’re going to get in.  

I'll take solace in the fact they barely beat Columbus 

The islanders wearing the home whites 

just looks right - brings back images of Trottier, Bossy, Gillies and Billy Smith 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Great out of town scoreboard as usual. Sabres should be in a playoff spot technically within a few days, is my prediction

We are in a new stage now, “math is unlikely” need not apply. We will be 2 points back after today with only 1 team in between. Caps schedule is ridiculously hard in a travel sense, and yes they have games in hand but when you have like 3 saved up your schedule gets ridiculously compacted down the stretch, which adds to the difficulty.

it’s our spot to lose. Keep playing at the pace we have been lately and we’ll snag it 

This didn’t age well. This is why I’m never optimistic on here! 🤣

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Great out of town scoreboard as usual. Sabres should be in a playoff spot technically within a few days, is my prediction

We are in a new stage now, “math is unlikely” need not apply. We will be 2 points back after today with only 1 team in between. Caps schedule is ridiculously hard in a travel sense, and yes they have games in hand but when you have like 3 saved up your schedule gets ridiculously compacted down the stretch, which adds to the difficulty.

it’s our spot to lose. Keep playing at the pace we have been lately and we’ll snag it 

4 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

This didn’t age well. This is why I’m never optimistic on here! 🤣

Hulu Fx GIF by The Bear

IMG_4742.png

I found the Flyers response tonight and their excellent effort against the Leafs to be an interesting point of contrast. Torts causes a stir benching the captain and yet the team rises and plays better. Full accountability. 

Now would Granato have the balls to sit Skinner in the press box?

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I found the Flyers response tonight and their excellent effort against the Leafs to be an interesting point of contrast. Torts causes a stir benching the captain and yet the team rises and plays better. Full accountability. 

Now would Granato have the balls to sit Skinner in the press box?

No, 

The only balls Donny has is to get butthurt when the fans chant and then to double speak at the podium. 

He's not as bad as Ralph K, but he is trending that way rapidly. 

A development coach, that has lost the ability to develop. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The Preds are 13-0-2 in thier last 15 games. They really don't have alot of talent. Saros has regained his vezina level form after struggling to find his game much of the year. Josi's Norris level play is dragging along a bunch of bottom pairing/AHL level players to respectable defence. The top line of free agent additions O'Reilly and Nyquist along Forsberg have provided very solid two-way play. The middle six is cobbled together by a good third line center in Sissons, a couple young guys and some spare parts on a rotational basis. They may have the best forth line in hockey. 

Brunette deserves some Adams consideration, the whole is definitely better than the sum of its parts. Trotts is doing a great job in a rebuilding year, I expected a bottom five finish. I'm glad I didn't give up my season tix. 

14 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Nothing official, but I read it was suicide. He was battling depression apparently. I didn't realize he was that young. He wasn't just a goon either. I believe he had like 148 goals too. 

It sounded like it might be based on the statement from the family.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. 

The high death rate amongst NHL enforcers is commonly connected by the media to their CTE issues. The reality is the vast majority of these guys have long histories of drug and alcohol abuse going back to their playing days. 

I'm certain CTE doesn't help, but the drugs and alcohol would be the prime drivers of the suicides and other physical health related issues. If it were otherwise, football players and boxers would also be dying at similar rates.

Here's a prime example of a media hack blaming Simon's death on fighting.

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

Ya I got owned tarred and feathered on that one 

You're the young doc on every medical drama. Doctor! Doctor! Put the paddles down. Doctor, it's over. Time of death... November 7.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hank said:

Brunette deserves some Adams consideration, the whole is definitely better than the sum of its parts.

Adams already has Granato, he’s content.

Just kidding, I know what you meant. Brunette has done a good job, plus he’s a Sudbury boy (1 hour from me).

6 hours ago, Hank said:

The Preds are 13-0-2 in thier last 15 games. They really don't have alot of talent. Saros has regained his vezina level form after struggling to find his game much of the year. Josi's Norris level play is dragging along a bunch of bottom pairing/AHL level players to respectable defence. The top line of free agent additions O'Reilly and Nyquist along Forsberg have provided very solid two-way play. The middle six is cobbled together by a good third line center in Sissons, a couple young guys and some spare parts on a rotational basis. They may have the best forth line in hockey. 

Brunette deserves some Adams consideration, the whole is definitely better than the sum of its parts. Trotts is doing a great job in a rebuilding year, I expected a bottom five finish. I'm glad I didn't give up my season tix. 

Veteran leadership and good goaltending, but the big thing is how they responded after the cancelled frill, the trip to the U2 show in Vegas. They were slumping and it was taken away, they responded. No country club without earning it. 

Similarly I read today in a Vancouver article how their locker room is now lightening up and having some fun. The words used were "we earned it". In other words they were not rewarded first as an incentive. The bar was raised and when it was met then and only then were they rewarded. 

• Like (+1) 1

Caps v Leafs is good. Ovevhkin has one, Matthews 2.  Matthews scores hatty goal after absolutely fantastic shift of possession (and weak d by 😎but offside challenge, overturned. Goal was 23 seconds after entry. Broadcast makes no mention of linesman failing at his job, instead blames skater (bertuzzi) for 1 or 2 centimeters. NHL.

Edit sunshine emoji is the number eight and close parenthesis.

Edited by Getpucksdeep
Bad software

9 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Caps v Leafs is good. Ovevhkin has one, Matthews 2.  Matthews scores hatty goal after absolutely fantastic shift of possession (and weak d by 😎but offside challenge, overturned. Goal was 23 seconds after entry. Broadcast makes no mention of linesman failing at his job, instead blames skater (bertuzzi) for 1 or 2 centimeters. NHL.

Edit sunshine emoji is the number eight and close parenthesis.

Quality edit explanation. Thnx 😊 

I’ve always thought dropping the gloves and fighting was stupid. I’m a fan of scrums and scrimmages after chippy play or when someone takes a cheap shot because that’s legit emotion 

Edited by OverPowerYou

43 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

You do realize they have Evidence that he "did what he did " because of CTE the family painted the damn Picture 

You have to let this one go 

Evidence?

This article from 2000, before the media madness on CTE said that at age 19, Chris Simon was drinking his way out of hockey. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2000/02/03/a-spiritual-awakening/794f2c2f-6232-4cf2-9f6b-03c9ce4e28b0/

Edited by JoeSchmoe

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So are you paying for this?

It opened for me. Try incognito maybe?

Essentially it said his problem with alcohol started when he was 16 playing in the OHL and partying with the 20yo players in the big city (Ottawa).

It did say he cleaned up under Ted Nolan's supervision and was 9 years sober when the article was written. Arguably CTE could have caused him to fall off the wagon, though many career players struggle outside the structure of playing on a hockey team.

In any case the long story short is he was prone to party lifestyle without the head injuries.