Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Damn Sam

I find the Selke voters seem to hand it out as a consolation prize to someone who will never win a scoring title or an MVP but who puts up good offensive numbers and is reliable defensively.

Never seems to be a pure defensive guy like Danault.

Gainey and Ramsay were true Selke guys in my mind.

• Like (+1) 2

One agitation about the current standings system

This season has truly been odd for us between our solid 5v5 stats, low goal differential and the fact we have 21 out of 23 wins in regulation. We're in 4th in RWs in the Atlantic Division. So frankly this year would look a lot different if we had some PP goals and few more OT Losses versus regulation losses. That doesn't mean it makes this season any less annoying but it is rather interesting to look at.

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

It’s just difficult with Reino because he went on record saying he was open to a long term extension 

I see Kevyn bridging Reino as the first sign he was about to blow it up.  It was a signal more than a year before the Eichel trade that Eichel was gone as well as his inner circle. 

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I can't exactly go after Adams for giving another 1 year deal during COVID and under Krueger's "guidance"

I can.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, French Collection said:

I think Buffalo passes those three teams before the season ends. They won’t make the playoffs but will finish stronger than their first 50 games.

Almost every year the playoff teams have positive goal differentials so I can see NYI, Caps and Habs dropping.

I know fancy stats are painting a new picture but goal differential was a metric that Bowman used to describe good teams.

Oh I think it's a fine statistic to look at but in the end there are always exceptions to almost every stat and the only one that matters is win percentage.ti 

I think Washington definitely drops. NYI probably but they are a veteran team, might still pull off a deadline deal and the Roy effect is unknown. Montreal is an odd one. I didn't expect them to be (relatively) even with us and thought they were in for the multi year rebuild but they seem to be doing a very good job. They are less skilled but also a much tougher team than us and they might (stress "might") be better than us down the stretch if grittier playoff style hockey comes into play. Ottawa is playing better as well so even with improved play, we could still finish dead last in the division. 

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I see Kevyn bridging Reino as the first sign he was about to blow it up.  It was a signal more than a year before the Eichel trade that Eichel was gone as well as his inner circle. 

I can.

I’m repeating myself.  KA did not see Jack and Sam as fitting his timeline.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Hopefully all of buffalo will Be on the panthers side to win the cup sam was a Awesome player never complained and wanted to be with Buffalo long term 

Sure he did.

Second time I've heard this today. Maybe I'll believe it the third time.

… probably not.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I want to see what he does NEXT year AFTER signing his big contract with whoever (maybe Florida). I doubt he puts these numbers up again but we shall see, 

Nylander signed his big deal mid season and his numbers have already dropped off since the ink dried.

• Like (+1) 1

MacKenzie Weeger. Good D-man. But 8th year in the league, 30 years old.  Never scored more than 8 goals in a year.  Averaged 6.5 goals per 82 games before this year. 7th round pick so didn't have a high pedigree coming into the league.

This year?  leading the league in goals from the blue line (Dahlin is 2nd).  On pace for 23-24 this season over 82 games.  Had 31 TOTAL over the rest of his career.  Did not see that coming.

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Odd time of the season to do it so there must have been a major disagreement on how to proceed.

I don’t disagree with the firing at all just find the time of the season a little odd.

He wants to move certain people at the deadline Davidson doesn’t want moved? That’s about the only reason I can think of for it to happen right now. 

… or the other way around, I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

MacKenzie Weeger. Good D-man. But 8th year in the league, 30 years old.  Never scored more than 8 goals in a year.  Averaged 6.5 goals per 82 games before this year. 7th round pick so didn't have a high pedigree coming into the league.

This year?  leading the league in goals from the blue line (Dahlin is 2nd).  On pace for 23-24 this season over 82 games.  Had 31 TOTAL over the rest of his career.  Did not see that coming.

He would be the exact type of guy to staple to Power long term.

The contract is long but with his skating and brains I don’t see him as a guy that falls off a cliff. 

In my mind their biggest need is a top end RHD to pair with Power long term and help him along.