How serious do you take preseason games?

Zamboni

How serious do you take preseason games?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How serious do you take preseason games?

• It is an exact replica of how the season will go. So I take preseason games very seriously.
    • It’s a good indicator of how the team will be this season. So how they play in the preseason will be sorta like the regular season.
    • Preseason is used to gauge the rookies and line combos. So there is some validity to the results as far as how the regular season will go.
    • Preseason games are 100% meaningless. You can’t take anything from those games. It’s exhibition. Regular season games are completely different.
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/10/2023 at 10:00 PM

"Obviously" it depends on how the coach treats it and who dresses for the games. "Obviously" the Boston game was a junk roster from them and not full from us and so it tells you very little. You can see a few people's individual skills but you learn nothing about how the team will play.  A dress rehearsal like the Pens game tells you more. If your team doesn't give you a full effort in a game like that before their own fans it raises questions. "Obviously" they can be better in a real game, but what has anyone seen to make them think that'll be the case?

(and "obviously" I'm in a foul mood learning we kept Bryson)

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

"Obviously" it depends on how the coach treats it and who dresses for the games. "Obviously" the Boston game was a junk roster from them and not full from us and so it tells you very little. You can see a few people's individual skills but you learn nothing about how the team will play.  A dress rehearsal like the Pens game tells you more. If your team doesn't give you a full effort in a game like that before their own fans it raises questions. "Obviously" they can be better in a real game, but what has anyone seen to make them think that'll be the case?

(and "obviously" I'm in a foul mood learning we kept Bryson)

Why would you be upset about Bryson being on the roster? He's a fringe player who will get insignificant playing time. His role is as a utility player. I would rather have Ryan Johnson get a lot of playing time in Rochester than replacing Bryson on the roster right now. There's simply too much agitation over a player who will get marginal minutes. He's not worth being bothered about. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Why would you be upset about Bryson being on the roster? He's a fringe player who will get insignificant playing time. His role is as a utility player. I would rather have Ryan Johnson get a lot of playing time in Rochester than replacing Bryson on the roster right now. There's simply too much agitation over a player who will get marginal minutes. He's not worth being bothered about. 

Because Stillman is a better player and MIGHT get claimed off waivers.  With his contract there was absolutely no way Bryson was getting claimed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Because Stillman is a better player and MIGHT get claimed off waivers.  With his contract there was absolutely no way Bryson was getting claimed.

I thought Stillman had a good preseason. However, I'm not getting upset whether Bryson or Stillman get claimed. Both of them are bottom pair defenders who won't get much playing time. They are essentially utility players. Bottom roster players hang on and bottom roster players get dispatched. It's part of the system that all teams have to contend with. The players that we get on waivers, such as Jost, and the players that we do lose make little difference in outcome. As I said to @PerreaultForever, these types of transactions are not worth being bothered over. 

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I thought Stillman had a good preseason. However, I'm not getting upset whether Bryson or Stillman get claimed. Both of them are bottom pair defenders who won't get much playing time. They are essentially utility players. Bottom roster players hang on and bottom roster players get dispatched. It's part of the system that all teams have to contend with. The players that we get on waivers, such as Jost, and the players that we do lose make little difference in outcome. As I said to @PerreaultForever, these types of transactions are not worth being bothered over. 

See how you feel the first time Bryson goes in the lineup. 😉

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

See how you feel the first time Bryson goes in the lineup. 😉

I have no problem with Bryson being a utility defender who gets a limited number of minutes per game. His talent level and skills match his role. I would rather see him being a utility defender than having Ryan Johnson playing that role right now. In the not too distant, after some playing time in Rochester, Johnson will be moving up to the big club and make that unit stronger. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Because he's:

Vuilnis_bij_Essent_Milieu.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Also, we ditched Lybushkin, and when they traded for him they said Stillman added some grit and so, although both are mediocre at best, we have taken what little toughness we had on the back end and tossed it away in favour of a little guy who should be a career AHL player and nothing more. 

Keeping the 3 goalies is also insane. Can they really not make up their mind???

We are simply not making progress here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

One thing that just hit me is that the Penguins really turned up the intensity after the Krebs-Crosby fight and the Sabres did not match it.

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Also, we ditched Lybushkin, and when they traded for him they said Stillman added some grit and so, although both are mediocre at best, we have taken what little toughness we had on the back end and tossed it away in favour of a little guy who should be a career AHL player and nothing more. 

On this front, no.

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Have bemoaned giving Lyubushkin away enough that didn't need to rebring it up in that response.

Frustrating when they say the goal is competing in the playoffs and then they make moves that weaken this season's team.

And have griped about the 3 headed monster enough to not bring that up in the reply again either.

(Still expect them to make the playoffs, but moves like those reduce the margin for error to make it happen.)

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Have bemoaned giving Lyubushkin away enough that didn't need to rebring it up in that response.

Frustrating when they say the goal is competing in the playoffs and then they make moves that weaken this season's team.

And have griped about the 3 headed monster enough to not bring that up in the reply again either.

(Still expect them to make the playoffs, but moves like those reduce the margin for error to make it happen.)

I suppose, but when they do something stupid do we really just give it a pass and say well I griped about that earlier so it's fine now. It's just not. 

I don't know what it is, but this team seems set on trying to redefine what hockey is and has absolutely no understanding of defense at all. The Bryson move makes it seem like this is a choice, 

Goaltending, ever since KA took over is just ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I suppose, but when they do something stupid do we really just give it a pass and say well I griped about that earlier so it's fine now. It's just not. 

I don't know what it is, but this team seems set on trying to redefine what hockey is and has absolutely no understanding of defense at all. The Bryson move makes it seem like this is a choice, 

Goaltending, ever since KA took over is just ridiculous. 

Wasn't implying that you shouldn't be saying that.  Sorry if it came across that way.  Just stating why the post you quoted to which your response added both those other items hadn't already addressed them.  After a certain point, see no reason in rewriting the entire novella of items that have been frustrating about this off-season.  (Don't need to rewrite the entire novella of items that have been good either.  😉 )

• Like (+1) 1

I want 105-110 points this season. That’s a 15-20 point increase YoY. Similar to the Devils who also had a young team but matured over a season or two. 

I didn’t need the preseason to be good but I needed it to flash that we were a young, skill-driven, fast team who were committed to better defense from all 5 on the ice.

Pair that with a failure to upgrade defense and goalie; I find myself carrying 12 years of anxiety at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 2

Obviously some posters need to be constantly reminded on a weekly basis why Lyubushkin is no longer on the team. It has nothing to do with management “not wanting him anymore because they are dumb dumbs”. Keep pushing that false agenda. Most see through it.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

If Clifton is no better than a 3rd pairing guy, than they seriously overpaid him. 

We shall see. 

10 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

If I cared about the pre season then why am I picking buffalo to reach the stanley cup ? 

season 1 friends GIF

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

I have no problem with Bryson being a utility defender who gets a limited number of minutes per game. His talent level and skills match his role. I would rather see him being a utility defender than having Ryan Johnson playing that role right now. In the not too distant, after some playing time in Rochester, Johnson will be moving up to the big club and make that unit stronger. 

You keep saying utility player. Bryson has no utility. Your bottom pairing isn’t just there to eat a couple minutes while the top four rest. They need to actually defend and be competent. Bryson is neither.

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

You keep saying utility player. Bryson has no utility. Your bottom pairing isn’t just there to eat a couple minutes while the top four rest. They need to actually defend and be competent. Bryson is neither.

Why do you think that coach DG kept him on the roster?

42 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Why do you think that coach DG kept him on the roster?

I’m guessing Bryson’s skill aet better matches the type of game DG wants the team to play.  My concern with that is, as an overall player, he is not the 7th best D man in the organization.  He may be the 7th or 8th best with that particular playing style though.

Im not sure that is good enough for a team with playoff expectations though.

Edited by Weave
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I voted “3”, on balance.

But the game against Pittsburgh was concerning, as others have noted. And Crosby absolutely sent a message to his teammates — and they responded. Buffalo did not respond. Not a great look.

To date, KA built speed, skill, and character… We lack physicality…

Our checking is spotty and we are consistently out hit by opponents.

Who steps up to defend our players?… Who steps up to set a tone… reset the tone…or provide a spark?

KA added Greenway… Clifton… for a reason… Like to see a few more of our players get physical … to balance our speed, skill, and character.

This is a KA roster… and a DG coaching issue, imo

Decent goaltending and a few tweaks, we can dominate a tough Division and Conference for the next several years.

44 minutes ago, Believer said:

To date, KA built speed, skill, and character… We lack physicality…

Our checking is spotty and we are consistently out hit by opponents.

Who steps up to defend our players?… Who steps up to set a tone… reset the tone…or provide a spark?

KA added Greenway… Clifton… for a reason… Like to see a few more of our players get physical … to balance our speed, skill, and character.

This is a KA roster… and a DG coaching issue, imo

Decent goaltending and a few tweaks, we can dominate a tough Division and Conference for the next several years.

The grit is why I wanted Stillman to stick around vs Bryson.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.