GDT: Sabres @ Blue Jackets - October 4, 2023 - 7:00PM, Sabres.com📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Elder Johnson is not on the ice despite being listed on the game day roster 

Love that they're putting Benson out there with 2 3rd liners.  He's been the wing on the top line every preseason game he played (even that very 1st one where he was on a line with Greenway - in Washington there were very few actual NHLers playing), this'll be an opportunity to see how he does in a 3rd line role and with players that outsiders won't be able to say are elevating him.

Also, interested to see how Johnson does with Samuelsson.  Expecting that pairing to work well.

And if the Dahlin-Clifton experiment works, expecting we'll see Power- Jokiharju most of the entire season.  (Arrg.)

• Like (+1) 1

As @LGR4GMhas pointed out in the past, it doesn’t matter who Benson plays with because he is gonna play his same game regardless. He has a way of imposing his game on the opponent and I expect him to be just as relentless in his pursuit of the puck as we’ve seen in every game, from the rookie 3x3 tourney, to the Prospects Challenge, to the preseason games. The question I have is will his new line mates take advantage.

Kinda makes me think this is more due diligence on Benson: how much of his performance has been the product of his linemates; can he play further down the roster; how does he compare to Rousek in the same situations against the same opponents?

Everything they’ve done so far with this kid indicates he’s getting very real consideration for making the team.

• Like (+1) 1

Erik Johnson sitting out concerns me.

He’s 35. How available will he be?

The plus side is I’m really looking forward to test-driving a Mule/Ryan Johnson combo: once Ryan finds his footing there could be a lot of reliable minutes for blue and gold right there.

4 minutes ago, Quint said:

I hear Luukonnen is supposed to play the whole game. If he ***** the bed, I wonder what's going to happen?

Well, if he does, then they either give him the Comrie v Dallas treatment (Ukka, rub some dirt on it, and get your butt back out there) or Comrie gets to play against somebody besides Pittsburgh down the stretch to show what he can do.

Personally, expect him to give up a couple of questionable goals but not be a total disaster.  (Basically, expecting him to be himself.)

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The plus side is I’m really looking forward to test-driving a Mule/Ryan Johnson combo: once Ryan finds his footing there could be a lot of reliable minutes for blue and gold right there.

He's 35 and is starting his 16th season in the NHL, he doesn't need to be playing any preseason games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Love that they're putting Benson out there with 2 3rd liners.  He's been the wing on the top line every preseason game he played (even that very 1st one where he was on a line with Greenway - in Washington there were very few actual NHLers playing), this'll be an opportunity to see how he does in a 3rd line role and with players that outsiders won't be able to say are elevating him.

Also, interested to see how Johnson does with Samuelsson.  Expecting that pairing to work well.

And if the Dahlin-Clifton experiment works, expecting we'll see Power- Jokiharju most of the entire season.  (Arrg.)

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

As @LGR4GMhas pointed out in the past, it doesn’t matter who Benson plays with because he is gonna play his same game regardless. He has a way of imposing his game on the opponent and I expect him to be just as relentless in his pursuit of the puck as we’ve seen in every game, from the rookie 3x3 tourney, to the Prospects Challenge, to the preseason games. The question I have is will his new line mates take advantage.

I see Benson's most likely outcome in this game as elevating the two linemates he has and considering I think highly already of Rousek's game, I bet this line produces tonight. Krebs is the wildcard IMPO. Can he do more than breakup plays and make some nice passes? Does he have a shot and a better understanding of time and space? 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’m just hoping his body holds up over the season. 

That's why you go out and get yourself a second, back-up Johnson. 

I imagine EJ is filling the veteran gap left by Anderson and, while I expect him to play far more often than Anderson, I don't think expecting him to play a full season is a given. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LabattBlue said:

20-21 4 GP
21-22 77 GP
22-23 63 GP

6 other times in his career, he has missed 20+ games in a season. 

He may be fine, but if I was a betting man, I’d bet he misses at least 25 games to injury. 

He was never expected to play all 82.

He was brought in to play 50 to 55 and to spend the rest as mentor in the room and practice.

The hope is that he will be able to play in the playoff too.  That is when his experience will be most appreciated.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

He was never expected to play all 82.

He was brought in to play 50 to 55 and to spend the rest as mentor in the room and practice.

The hope is that he will be able to play in the playoff too.  That is when his experience will be most appreciated.

Huh?  I can understand missing some games to rest him, but they signed him expected him to be hurt for a 1/3 of the season or more?

Edited by LabattBlue

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Which begs the question why did KA trade our only RHD depth D?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.