We need to talk about Zach Benson making the team this year, 2023

LGR4GM

Benson 2023  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Does Zach Benson make the Sabres 2023 roster (meaning he stays up in the NHL for the season)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Does Zach Benson get 9 or less NHL games before being sent back to Jrs?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will Zach Benson make the Sabres roster in 2024?

• Yes, he will make the NHL next season (2024)
    • No, he will go back to jrs or AHL (with exemption)

I said when we drafted him that Zach Benson at #13 that he was immediately the best prospect in the system. I still believe that right now although I will say that Savoie was closer to him than I expected. That all said, Benson has just consistently shown he is that dog. What I mean is that he isn't some 18yr old kid out there trying to figure it out, he is out there playing his game. He forechecks like a pro, he manipulates like a pro, and he has so much battle in him that I can't wait until he is maybe an inch taller and 20lbs heavier. 5'11" 190lbs Benson will be other teams nightmare fuel. 

Now, last night it was a preseason game. There were about maybe 5-6 NHL regulars in Boston's lineup so it wasn't like Benson was playing a true forward or defensive lineup. That said, Benson played his game. One of the GDT questions that I think is very good to ask is, would Rosen or Kulich be as good with Tage and Skinner? I said no, that Benson wasn't good because he was with Tage and Skinner. Meaning, I do not think Benson was good because Skinner and Tage were making him look good but that Benson was playing exactly how he would play with them or Okposo and Zemgus. There is a surety and maturity to his game that works with anyone he plays with. 

Now was he perfect last night? No, I remember a "clever" little backhand pass that went straight to a defender. For as good as he can be forechecking there were times where larger players were able to just push him off the puck, although I remember on one of those occasions, Benson just revved his engine higher and took the puck anyways. My point here is should we be thinking about Zach Benson in Buffalo this season? He was not a liability at all last night with Tage and Jeff. He is only going to get better and the NHL is a place that will 100% challenge him. His bump pass to Skinner though and his manipulations of opposing players was on full display, he has the skills and the brain right now to make the jump. 

Personally, I would send him back to jr. I think he needs to improve his skating speed (he has high end edges but that initial jump needs to improve). I think his shot could also see improvement and the WHL would give him time to work on that as well. Overall he needs about another 5-10lbs of pure muscle to really be able to bounce off or fight through some of the checks and I think the lighter WHL schedule versus the NHL would give him the time to do that. Finally, next year there will be 3 or so forward spots open but JJP, Cozens, Quinn, and Krebs will all have another year of NHL time (and Quinn should be healthy) so it gives us some more mix and match options for guys like Savoie or Benson to get a touch of sheltering when needed. 

That said... Benson is that dog. He is going to continue to make it harder and harder to justify returning him to the WHL. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I'm saying No, Yes, Yes. Unless he suddenly looks bad during the rest of camp, he's at least earned a shot at up to 9 regular season games. I don't want to say he'll be wasted in Juniors this year, but I really wish we could send him to Rochester instead.

You can see he  has all the intangibles you want for a top 6 player, but he needs work on strength/speed like LGR said.

I don't think he'll be eligible for Rochester next year either, but I think if he can keep this up he'll make it unneccessary to care about that. Plus in theory we'll have more room for a rookie to crack the line up with Oloffsson gone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I voted 9 games, then back to Juniors.  Let's see what he looks like in real NHL games, if he needs work he will have learned what to work on next.  I just think they can afford to give him time to mature physically, even though he looks very good right now.  

If we were in a shambles, like most of the seasons in the past 12 years, I would say he makes the team.  Right now we have emerging players with NHL experience and other very good prospects to look at.  Benson will be even better next year.   

The Sabres are going to skate circles around a lot of teams when just of few of these kids come up.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

No.  Yes.  Yes.

I think he has the raw talent to make the team now.  He would have if this was 2016 or 2017.

He does not need *seasoning* in the WHL.  He needs to bulk up and mature more into a *man body*.  He is only 18, right?

Too bad he can't go to the AHL.

If the Sabres feel he is ready then I think they will also have decided to trade VO - probably for a #7 Dman, maybe even a top 6 if the right dance partner emerges.  That does not seem to follow the *plan*, but maybe KA feels it's time to alter the plan a bit.

I actually think the great play of Levi may help make up the Sabres mind on Benson.  Levi is the real deal.  So, why not put in Benson and trade VO for an upgrade on D - a big nasty stay at home type #6.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

No.  Yes.  Yes.

I think he has the raw talent to make the team now.  He would have if this was 2016 or 2017.

He does not need *seasoning* in the WHL.  He needs to bulk up and mature more into a *man body*.  He is only 18, right?

Too bad he can't go to the AHL.

If the Sabres feel he is ready then I think they will also have decided to trade VO - probably for a #7 Dman, maybe even a top 6 if the right dance partner emerges.  That does not seem to follow the *plan*, but maybe KA feels it's time to alter the plan a bit.

I actually think the great play of Levi may help make up the Sabres mind on Benson.  Levi is the real deal.  So, why not put in Benson and trade VO for an upgrade on D - a big nasty stay at home type #6.

Yes Benson is 18 until May. 

I think people need to spend less time thinking about their pet theories on development and their master plan for the roster and more time watching Zach Benson play.

This team has developed a culture/environment that will allow any young player to thrive if that player is ready. Quinn's absence has created a hole.

The pertinent questions are the on-ice questions and so far the answers are 'yes'.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

He's a young 18 for an NHL-er and not gifted with a massive, mature physique. He needs time to grow more. A 9-game stint will give him enough experience and insight into the NHL game that he can work on it while working out and eating lots of protein.

There is literally no sound reason to put him on the roster permanently this season. Putting him on the roster would be an act of impatience. One doosh move by an opposing player crumpling him along the boards is all it would take. Let's not forget what happened to Nathan Gerbe:

"Gerbe's season was interrupted the following year by a hit from Marc-André Bourdon of the Philadelphia Flyers on December 8, 2011, where Gerbe was driven head-first into the boards.[27] This caused him to miss time and he eventually required spinal surgery during the summer.[28]"

As we know, there's always a potential for injury out there and with his style of play I suspect he'll be hunted. It's in the team's best interest (let alone Benson's) to ensure he's prepared as much as possible to face those circumstances. I think one more year of physical development would be appropriate.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This kid's O talent is off the charts.  We knew that when he was drafted.  Give him open ice and he'll crave teams up like a Thanksgiving turkey.  However, to compete in 5 on 5 battles he'll need to get stronger and he'll also need to work on his two-way game.  Honestly, he reminds me of a Reinhart (maybe better) and I mean that as a compliment.  

I just don't think he's ready for full-time, full-tilt NHL action.  The pre-season games so far are against veterans getting in game shape, AHLers, and other prospects.  He won't have the time and space to operate once the rosters are all NHLers.

The Sabres also don't have to rush him.  The current turmoil with his CHL team notwithstanding, the Sabres can allow him to work on his strength and D-game with one more CHL season and then jump to the NHL as we did with Reinhart.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 6

44 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think people need to spend less time thinking about their pet theories on development and their master plan for the roster and more time watching Zach Benson play.

This team has developed a culture/environment that will allow any young player to thrive if that player is ready. Quinn's absence has created a hole.

The pertinent questions are the on-ice questions and so far the answers are 'yes'.

And I think people need to keep in mind that these are exhibition games and that Benson is in no way receiving the kind of love and attention from the enemy teams that he would during a regular season game - especially games after January.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ... said:

And I think people need to keep in mind that these are exhibition games and that Benson is in no way receiving the kind of love and attention from the enemy teams that he would during a regular season game - especially games after January.

Agree completely.

Of course, the same applies to Rosen, Kulich, Rousek and anyone else competing for a spot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

He's in a unique, interesting situation.

He's young at 18, so immediately you think wait a year. Understood.

Quinn gets hurt and there may..with an emphasis on may...be an opening. 

His curret WHL team has a situation with the coach. 

His skill set now may be even better than the Sabres thought at this stage. He makes plays. 

Conclusion - 9 game tryout should be a given. Then make your decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ... said:

He's a young 18 for an NHL-er and not gifted with a massive, mature physique. He needs time to grow more. A 9-game stint will give him enough experience and insight into the NHL game that he can work on it while working out and eating lots of protein.

There is literally no sound reason to put him on the roster permanently this season. Putting him on the roster would be an act of impatience. One doosh move by an opposing player crumpling him along the boards is all it would take. Let's not forget what happened to Nathan Gerbe:

"Gerbe's season was interrupted the following year by a hit from Marc-André Bourdon of the Philadelphia Flyers on December 8, 2011, where Gerbe was driven head-first into the boards.[27] This caused him to miss time and he eventually required spinal surgery during the summer.[28]"

As we know, there's always a potential for injury out there and with his style of play I suspect he'll be hunted. It's in the team's best interest (let alone Benson's) to ensure he's prepared as much as possible to face those circumstances. I think one more year of physical development would be appropriate.

The bold is short-sighted. If he makes the team better, that is the best reason, and should be the only reason that matters.

Gerbe was 24 in 2011. the analogy doesn't follow.

On the other hand, Clayton Keller is the same size as Benson is right now. When he was an even smaller teenage rookie he put up 65 points. He's survived for 6 years at that size in the NHL without significant injury.

I'm not saying Benson is ready. I am saying his play should determine that, not any bias about small players.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The bold is short-sighted. If he makes the team better, that is the best reason, and should be the only reason that matters.

Gerbe was 24 in 2011. the analogy doesn't follow.

On the other hand, Clayton Keller is the same size as Benson is right now. When he was an even smaller teenage rookie he put up 65 points. He's survived for 6 years at that size in the NHL without significant injury.

I'm not saying Benson is ready. I am saying his play should determine that, not any bias about small players.

So you're saying that the team's potential benefit trumps player safety. Got it.

And my argument is not a small-player bias, it's a human development concern. Certainly parents of young males should understand this.

I used the Gerbe example only to point out what happens when a person gets crushed along the boards. Shall I find another, less distracting example?

10 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I voted no, yes, yes.

But, if he did make the team this year, he is line 1, or 2 all day long. Place Tuch on Cozens wing with Benson joining Tage and Skins, or Benson straight on Cozens wing?

In that hypothetical, I'd prefer Tuch with Cozens to start with. I think we saw last year that giving Cozens 2 rookie was a bit of feast or famine. Spreading the youth/experience out a bit should ideally help both lines.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ... said:

So you're saying that the team's potential benefit trumps player safety. Got it.

And my argument is not a small-player bias, it's a human development concern. Certainly parents of young males should understand this.

I used the Gerbe example only to point out what happens when a person gets crushed along the boards. Shall I find another, less distracting example?

I'm saying maybe Benson isn't the helpless little boy you've decided he is. The preseason is helping to determine whether or not he has the ability to cope, just as it is for the similarly sized Connor Bedard — who everyone has pencilled into an NHL lineup — and just as it did for Keller.

I'm using the Gerbe example to point out that the risks of the game are inherent to it, and aren't necessarily a product of physical development. We could talk about the Lindros brothers or many other mammoth human beings whose careers were cut short.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.