“Promising” won’t cut it this year, it’s time for the Sabres to be good again.

dudacek

It's time for the Sabres to expect to be there again. Finally.
And to believe they can do something once they get there.

-Mike Harrington

https://buffalonews.com/sports/columns/mike-harrington-its-time-for-sabres-to-perform-with-swagger-thats-been-missing-for-too/article_7cc6f64c-5651-11ee-9d77-a7d6efede8b8.html

As training camp opens, this is the proper tone. End the decade of despair.

No more building and waiting and hoping for someone from the outside or something in the future to save us. And this goes for the fans as much as the players.

Expect to win.

It’s time to be good again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The attached Buffalo News link by Lance Lysowski is an overview of the roster. There is nothing new about his observations and cataloguing of players. Lance pointed out that the GM set a course and held to it. For the most part, he set out to rebuild the system and then draw from it. He pointed out that the GM was not going to expend assets for rental players or high profile players on the market.  

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/buffalo-sabres-kevyn-adams-training-camp/article_905a61c0-4e4b-11ee-ae10-df3032cd26fb.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

They should be a good NHL team this season.

The risks being taken with goaltending and the injury to Quinn are the only things dragging on my optimism.

I think they can compensate for the Quinn injury. Goaltending for me is the big factor. Assuming Levi is who we hope for we should be a playoff team but that's also assuming our offense produces around same amount. We could take a little less scoring if our defense is better which I expect it will be.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Radar said:

I think they can compensate for the Quinn injury. Goaltending for me is the big factor. Assuming Levi is who we hope for we should be a playoff team but that's also assuming our offense produces around same amount. We could take a little less scoring if our defense is better which I expect it will be.

"Can" yes....but actually will is doubtful IMHO.  GMKA seems content with a "next man up" response vs. some outside options.  If goal scoring production drops and goals against does not improve, then he should be held accountable.

5 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

"Can" yes....but actually will is doubtful IMHO.  GMKA seems content with a "next man up" response vs. some outside options.  If goal scoring production drops and goals against does not improve, then he should be held accountable.

Don't think it's doubtful really and furthermore we don't know how long until Quinn returns. Seems you have a much lower opinion of KA than do.

26 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They were mostly good last year.

This is true. This season, they need to be good. No qualifiers. On balance and over the course of 82 games, a good NHL team. That should be enough to get them into the playoffs. (And, I mean, they missed the playoffs by a whisker last season.)

28 minutes ago, Radar said:

Don't think it's doubtful really and furthermore we don't know how long until Quinn returns. Seems you have a much lower opinion of KA than do.

Not necessarily, I am just saying that I expect him to stand pat with the current roster vs. acquiring outside talent to replace Quinn (while he is out).  I am also saying that if the team falls short on meeting expectations (which should be higher this year), then GMKA is accountable.

• Like (+1) 1

To make the playoff in the NHL many good things will have to happen and there has to be a certain amount of good luck too.  Good teams make their own good luck mostly.

If the goaltending stands up they will make it.  If the team D is just a very little bit better they will make it.

• Like (+1) 1

I must be living in an alternate universe. I never ever viewed Quinn‘s injury as so vital that because he is injured we won’t make the playoffs or be good. Or because we don’t replace his “talent level” with outside acquisitions we won’t make the playoffs or be good. I just don’t see his injury for 2023 being a tipping point between making the playoffs or not. Now if you’re talking Dahlin, TNT, Skinner, Tuch, or Levi …. Ok I can see that argument having merit. At least that’s how I see it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@PASabreFan we crumbled when you stopped hearing what I was actually trying to say. I still love you 😘

But in this case, so far I was wrong, you were right.

Hedged bets and built-in excuses everywhere in this thread.

I hope the team is made of sterner stuff than the fans.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I must be living in an alternate universe. I never ever viewed Quinn‘s injury as so vital that because he is injured we won’t make the playoffs or be good. Or because we don’t replace his “talent level” with outside acquisitions we won’t make the playoffs or be good. I just don’t see his injury for 2023 being a tipping point between making the playoffs or not. Now if you’re talking Dahlin, TNT, Skinner, Tuch, or Levi …. Ok I can see that argument having merit. At least that’s how I see it.

Thank you. It's one more bit of data that this board is prospect-obsessed.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

@PASabreFan we crumbled when you stopped hearing what I was actually trying to say. I still love you 😘

But in this case, so far I was wrong, you were right.

I mean you're one who has been afraid of the present. Good to see you come around. No matter what KA and DG said at the presser, it really is playoffs or bust.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Thank you. It's one more bit of data that this board is prospect-obsessed.

I think it’s because that’s all we had until last season.  Now we have a solid core, emerging young players, and prospects.  

I have been saying playoffs or bust since the last season ended.  It’s time.  It’s past time actually.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I mean you're one who has been afraid of the present. Good to see you come around. No matter what KA and DG said at the presser, it really is playoffs or bust.

I've never been afraid of the present.

I've always been about building a foundation so the present can actually matter.

Edited by dudacek

9 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Quinn’s development will be delayed and he may have broken out to a new level. As you state he is not a core piece to making the playoffs yet.

He will be a nice addition upon his return, similar to an offensive acquisition at the deadline.

52 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think how certain fans may choose to fan (e.g., some may want to temper expectations and insulate themselves from crushing disappointment) has anything to do with how the players approach their season.

For my own part, and I know I've posted it here in the past, I'm a recovered fan of my favourite pro sports teams. Of all games that did it, it was a Ryan Fitzpatrick era road game against the Bengals when the Bills' unexpected success started to fall apart. I'm in it for the upside and the fun. If things take a turn for the worse -- either in a particular game or over a stretch of time -- I work to divert my energy and attention to other things. Darcy's parting Sabres mantra notwithstanding, I'm not into the suffering.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don't think how certain fans may choose to fan (e.g., some may want to temper expectations and insulate themselves from crushing disappointment) has anything to do with how the players approach their season.

For my own part, and I know I've posted it here in the past, I'm a recovered fan of my favourite pro sports teams. Of all games that did it, it was a Ryan Fitzpatrick era road game against the Bengals when the Bills' unexpected success started to fall apart. I'm in it for the upside and the fun. If things take a turn for the worse -- either in a particular game or over a stretch of time -- I work to divert my energy and attention to other things. Darcy's parting Sabres mantra notwithstanding, I'm not into the suffering.

A healthy approach.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.