“Promising” won’t cut it this year, it’s time for the Sabres to be good again.

dudacek

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don't think how certain fans may choose to fan (e.g., some may want to temper expectations and insulate themselves from crushing disappointment) has anything to do with how the players approach their season.

For my own part, and I know I've posted it here in the past, I'm a recovered fan of my favourite pro sports teams. Of all games that did it, it was a Ryan Fitzpatrick era road game against the Bengals when the Bills' unexpected success started to fall apart. I'm in it for the upside and the fun. If things take a turn for the worse -- either in a particular game or over a stretch of time -- I work to divert my energy and attention to other things. Darcy's parting Sabres mantra notwithstanding, I'm not into the suffering.

My expectations for the team are to make the playoffs or it's a failed season.  Now, if they don't am I going to get up on a soapbox and complain about how much they suck and infer I will not longer be a fan?  Not a chance.  In the end it's still hockey and just a sport.  However, as a fan, I have expectations. They will be met or not be met.

Bottom line, any sports is merely entertainment and while it can add value to my life when things go well I don't let it take value from my life if they don't.  I might not get as much value but in no way am I letting a sports team make my life miserable.  I have enough other things going on in life attempting to do so... things that have far more immediate impact that a W/L record.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Personally, and have been saying this for a while now, expect the team's minimal goal this year is playoffs and they expect to be able to do something once they're there.

The reason Girgensons and Okposo came back is they've lived the horror story and want to be part of the new chapter.  The team believes in itself.  And personally expect a low 100 point season so am there with them.

Remains to be seen if Adams did enough to make that reality.  But that's the expectation.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

It's time for the Sabres to expect to be there again. Finally.
And to believe they can do something once they get there.

-Mike Harrington

https://buffalonews.com/sports/columns/mike-harrington-its-time-for-sabres-to-perform-with-swagger-thats-been-missing-for-too/article_7cc6f64c-5651-11ee-9d77-a7d6efede8b8.html

As training camp opens, this is the proper tone. End the decade of despair.

No more building and waiting and hoping for someone from the outside or something in the future to save us. And this goes for the fans as much as the players.

Expect to win.

It’s time to be good again.

While I agree with the basic premise, Harrington cannot help writing like he’s admonishing a child. It instantly makes me see red and lose interest in his writing. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

As training camp opens, this is the proper tone.

Up to Adams, Granato & Staff, Okposo & Assts, and Veterans… to lead themselves, the new kids, the fans, and the City of Buffalo into the playoffs…

We have the roster and pipeline to do it… and go deep.

No excuses or explanations otherwise will cut it this season.

This is the given reality.

Go Sabres!

18 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

To make the playoff in the NHL many good things will have to happen and there has to be a certain amount of good luck too.  Good teams make their own good luck mostly.

If the goaltending stands up they will make it.  If the team D is just a very little bit better they will make it.

I agree, good things have to happen. This includes a few winning streaks and hot streaks in net. Likewise, a few bad things need to be tampered down. Eight game losing streak cannot happen. This offensive juggernaut we have needs to be able to transition to team defense when the puck is in our zone too.

19 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Nice goal, and it should have been the goal last year.

It was. The Sabres fell excruciatingly short in making the playoffs last year. However, that season was not a failure. It was part of the groundwork for future success that includes this season and the future. 

There is a false notion being promoted by some that this organization has not succeeded because it doesn't have the will or desire to succeed. It is undergirded by the notion that it favors younger players over more experienced players who will help you win sooner. That's not what happened to this rickety franchise. This franchise failed because of an accumulation of a lot of bad decisions by a well-intentioned but clueless owner. The owner belatedly learned from his self-sabotaging mistakes and hired the right GM who formulated the right plan to put this flailing franchise on the right path. 

There is no one, starting with the owner/s, the front office or any of the players who don't believe that this year's version of the Sabres are a playoff team. The premise that the organization has to change to a more winning attitude is bogus. The front office did the spadework that was required to get to this point i.e. in a position to succeed for an extended period of time. And that's exactly where we are at now. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I want them to be better each year than the last.  All I really want/expect is for this season to be better than the last. The Cup?  When they are 'close' to that, then I will have expectations for it. Right now I don't think they are close to the Cup, so I just want this year to be better than last.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.