Matthew Savoie will take part in the AM Skate 10/6

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per Granato He is progressing well and may return to a practice group next week 

I'd like to be encouraged by this news.

However, I recall hearing/reading that the injured shoulder is the same one that he had injured a while back. This has the feel of a situation where the player's trying to stave off surgery in order to make the team. Colour me concerned.

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'd like to be encouraged by this news.

However, I recall hearing/reading that the injured shoulder is the same one that he had injured a while back. This has the feel of a situation where the player's trying to stave off surgery in order to make the team. Colour me concerned.

Maintenance Day podcast said it was not the same shoulder. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Ctaeth said:

good news, but i really hope that he/they aren't hurrying him back

No rush for sure. There is more pressure from him wanting to get back than the team needing to have him.

When he is ready he will hopefully stick around for a look. If he can’t get preseason games he may qualify for a conditioning stint in Rochester.

• Brawndo changed the title to Matthew Savoie will take part in the AM Skate 10/6
On 9/18/2023 at 6:19 PM, Brawndo said:

You know what's weird?  When I click that link it comes up as a twitter.com domain in my browser, which then nicely resolves:  I don't know how/why x.com is coming up on some people's browsers/apps.

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per Granato will join the AM Skate with the team tomorrow 

Non-contact jersey?   He could still be weeks away from being cleared for contact.

I'll predict both him and Benson are shipped back to juniors before the end of the weekend.   

It's the right thing to do.    They're not physically ready for the rigors of an NHL season.     

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Non-contact jersey?   He could still be weeks away from being cleared for contact.

I'll predict both him and Benson are shipped back to juniors before the end of the weekend.   

It's the right thing to do.    They're not physically ready for the rigors of an NHL season.     

Benson has at least earned a shot to experience real NHL action (not preseason hockey). I'd say let him get a taste of the pro life, have him travel with the team for the first away game and access his play after the first few games. I've got to imagine he's been putting in 100% effort so far and that is not sustainable over the course of the season, against full NHL squads. 

Let him figure out what he needs to work on, and get more reps in practicing with the team before sending him back to WHL. Considering the head coach situation there I'd lean keeping both Savoie and Benson around this team as long as they can without burning a year off their ELC.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Highly doubt it

Their WHL team is a complete wreck right now

Savoie can easy receive a conditioning stint in Rochester 

Benson likely gets a few NHL games.

At minimum they’d want the whole coaching issue in Seattle fixed before they send their last 2 1sts to play with them.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t obsess with this burning a year of the ELC. At this point, I would prefer Savoie stays put and once 100%, does a conditioning stint in Rochester, gets in some games with the big club, off to the WJC in December, and then back here. 

Benson unless he is completely overwhelmed in his 9 game stint, also stays. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I don’t obsess with this burning a year of the ELC. At this point, I would prefer Savoie stays put and once 100%, does a conditioning stint in Rochester, gets in some games with the big club, off to the WJC in December, and then back here. 

Benson unless he is completely overwhelmed in his 9 game stint, also stays. 

The one thing Benson hasn’t looked like the entire preseason is overwhelmed. Quite the opposite in fact. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Preseason and regular season are two different animals. 

I understand all that, but that’s no reason to downplay what Benson has shown in the preseason, so until he does look  overwhelmed, it’s all we have to go by. And it’s worth noting he hasn’t been skating entirely against scrub lineups, either. He’s held his own against some very good players this preseason. Now maybe he routinely gets his ass handed to him in practice and the coaches feel differently about his chances, but we haven’t seen that evidence to date.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Based on Benson practicing with Thompson and Skinner rather than Biro and Rousek a week out from the opener, I’ll predict your prediction will not be realized. 

• Like (+1) 2

States he is back to 100% at the present time but still has not taken any contact yet. 

He could be placed on IR tomorrow 10/7 and practice with the team until the 13th or 14th and then be assigned to Rochester 

The Amerks have 14 day stretch where Savoie could play six games on a rehab assignment if they assign Him Oct 13th or 14th. 

After that make a decision whether or not to give him games in Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.