GDT: 9-15-03 7pm Prospects Challenge Buffalo Sabres vs Montreal Canadiens --Sabres Youtube Channel

bob_sauve28

Savoie and Rosen really stood out to me. But haven’t finished watching. 

Nice to see them win and score. I like the talent we have. 

I think Benson showed his abilities at times but is going to have to get stronger and improve his speed to the degree he is able. But he can build up his legs and body and improve his speed enough and also build up for endurance at the NHL level. But he’s just 18. He will come along. In a way, not dominating at this level should be a positive for him, serving as a motivation over the course of this year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

We had an awesome time at the game and look forward to going again tonight. 

Good price on Sabres gear there too.  Various Sabres ball caps $15 each including tax.  Sweaters at $30 felt like pretty good value as well. 

There were a few Montreal jerseys scattered throughout the crowd.  Maybe sabres should have used zip code when selling these tickets. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

We had an awesome time at the game and look forward to going again tonight. 

Good price on Sabres gear there too.  Various Sabres ball caps $15 each including tax.  Sweaters at $30 felt like pretty good value as well. 

There were a few Montreal jerseys scattered throughout the crowd.  Maybe sabres should have used zip code when selling these tickets. 

I have the feeling that the fans are eager to come back and enthusiastically support this team. They have had to contend with such a long period of failure and organizational dysfunction. The extended mediocrity was so dispiriting. At the end of last season, they got a taste of following a relevant and legitimately competing team for the playoffs. I really hope that this team can start off well and quickly uncork the enthusiasm that has been bottled up for so long. An added incentive for the fans to come back is that this team is entertaining to watch. What the first game of this prospect series indicates is that not only will the Sabres be fun to follow but so will the Amerks. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Further to the above, Savoie is flat out fast. And not only is he fast, he plays fast: the video game play button is pushed down at all times and at both ends. If you aren’t prepared he can overwhelm you. He seems to always be pushing and both of his goals came, in part, from that quality.

Rosen’s hands and feet are NHL level, that’s been the case from day one. People are going to talk about the fact he’s gotten stronger, but what I also saw yesterday was a player who sees the ice better than I thought; he’s taking what the game is giving him, moving himself and the puck to good spots, with authority. Two fantastic assists and a goal scorer’s goal.

There was a lot to like last night from each of them.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Believer said:

Gotta love our pipeline… Full of speed, skill, and savvy.

The issue will be roster spot availability. These high end prospects, specifically in the forward ranks, are fast approaching NHL readiness. By all appearances, they look to be coming in waves of 2 to 3 a season for the next 4 seasons out or so, and while the situation may vary slightly from 1 quarter of a season to the next, the cat is out of the bag now. There can be no denying the Sabres are not only on the verge of a multi-season playoff return, but they have the youth to potentially sustain it for the better part of a dozen years.

Eastern Conference organizations may want to start getting accustomed to a new catch phrase when the Sabres come up on their season schedule......

"BROKEN ARROW"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I thought it was real interesting that with Benson and Kulich sitting at the top of most people’s hopes and dreams list that it was Rosen and Savoie who were the stars up front last night.

My point is not that the first 2 were disappointing - they weren’t - it’s more about the depth of skill the organization has collected and the culture they seem to be establishing.

Hockey isn’t basketball, the same players rarely shine over all 82 games. To win consistently, you need different players stepping up and taking control on those nights their peers might not be doing that.

It’s starting to look like Adams has successfully built the culture of friendly in-house competition he said he was trying to create. No more “it’s Jack’s team, I’ll just sit quietly over here and do my job.” Guys like Savoie and Rosen (or Cozens and Quinn, or…) are saying “this is my team and I can make a difference.”

It’s just a rookie game in September, with players who probably won’t be Sabres, but the approach has been deliberate and we’re seeing signs of it bearing fruit at all 3 levels (NHL, AHL and prospects).

Agree with this.  My only wish is that we could see NOW what Savoie, Rosen, Kulich, Benson will be 2 years from now....when they should be truly ready for the full rigors of the NHL.  They can be a big part of our future success....I just hate that it may still take a year or probably 2 for them to be ready.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Eastern Conference organizations may want to start getting accustomed to a new catch phrase when the Sabres come up on their season schedule......

"BROKEN ARROW"

Agree… and you presented it perfectly… (Had to look up Broken Arrow)…

“A code phrase that a ground unit is facing imminent destruction from enemy attack and all available air forces within range are to provide air support immediately.”

What a great time to be a Sabres fan!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I think there are a few who only want players over 6’3”, over 220 lbs. and fight everyone. 😂

Hell… Did you see 6’0” Lingren get chippy and go face to face with 6’7” Parker-Jones in front of the net??… Laughed at the big lug.

Cant train guts… Either got’em or you don’t. 

Edited by Believer
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Further to the above, Savoie is flat out fast. And not only is he fast, he plays fast: the video game play button is pushed down at all times and at both ends. If you aren’t prepared he can overwhelm you. He seems to always be pushing and both of his goals came, in part, from that quality.

Rosen’s hands and feet are NHL level, that’s been the case from day one. People are going to talk about the fact he’s gotten stronger, but what I also saw yesterday was a player who sees the ice better than I thought; he’s taking what the game is giving him, moving himself and the puck to good spots, with authority. Two fantastic assists and a goal scorer’s goal.

There was a lot to like last night from each of them.

Good point about Rosen. His smarts are a lot better then he has been given credit for. He sees the ice extremely well. His speed and shot make him a great prospect but his understanding of the game will push him further.

He is also 2 drafts from Benson for those who wonder why he showed better. Give Benson another season and he will be dynamite at the pro level.

On 9/16/2023 at 2:52 PM, Flashsabre said:

Habs beat Bruins 4-1. The cupboards are bare in Boston. Not a fan of Lysell. Skates around but doesn’t accomplish much. Some of Habs better players like Reinbacher and Farrell sat out.

Poitras and Lohrei look like the only possible future NHLers in that prospect pool and they are just likely mid level at best. 

Interestingly I posted the comparison to how many prospects the Sabres have on a Boston website and suggested the division was getting ready to flip top to bottom and bottom to top over the next few years and the Boston fans pretty much agreed. It's SO CLOSE you can taste it.

If the Sabres somehow (and I can't see how) blow this rebuild they might as well fold the franchise. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just watched Appert’s post game interview after Saturday’s 4-2 win…

What an impressive guy… Smart… Articulate… Knows the game… Knows his players…

Loves what he does and who he does it for… His players, his coaches, and the Sabres organization… 

We have a great player and coaching pipeline… 

35 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Poitras and Lohrei look like the only possible future NHLers in that prospect pool and they are just likely mid level at best. 

Interestingly I posted the comparison to how many prospects the Sabres have on a Boston website and suggested the division was getting ready to flip top to bottom and bottom to top over the next few years and the Boston fans pretty much agreed. It's SO CLOSE you can taste it.

If the Sabres somehow (and I can't see how) blow this rebuild they might as well fold the franchise. 

I agree that Poitras and Lohrei are their top guys.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.