Savoie Unlikely to Receive AHL Exemption.

Eleven

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-matt-savoie-unlikely-to-receive-an-exemption-to-start-season-in-rochester/article_d4d79f9c-5234-11ee-a27f-679e03c5b1ca.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Summary:  Even though he's 20, 19, he doesn't have 4 full CHL seasons, and doesn't turn 21 until Jan 1--one day too late.  Shane Wright received an exemption, but Lysowski thinks Savoie won't.  And I still think this CHL-NHL agreement is absurd.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

How would you fix it to keep the CHL viable and give the players the most appropriate opportunity?

Well, there's a few things going on here.

1.  Outside of the draft system and ELCs, I support a player's right to play where he wants.  Why should Savoie watch his development be curbed because of some stupid agreement?

2.  I don't really care about the viability of the CHL.  I don't know why I should.  If it disappears, there will be other development paths.  I care about the Sabres.  (You may have noticed me saying something similar in various and sundry Amerks threads over the years--I don't really care about the Amerks except to the extent that the team develops Sabres.)

3.  It's not really my job to fix it, is it?  I would get rid of the whole agreement.  But a nice compromise might be to allow an NHL team one exemption per year.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How would you fix it to keep the CHL viable and give the players the most appropriate opportunity?

Allow a team one exemption every five years to that rule for exceptional prospects who are too talented for the lower league. The occurrence of it would be so limited that it would have little impact on the CHL's viability. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Allow a team one exemption every five years to that rule for exceptional prospects who are too talented for the lower league. The occurrence of it would be so limited that it would have little impact on the CHL's viability. 

Let's face it, the players that would be moved up early are not going to be evenly distributed around the CHL.  What happens when 5 different NHL teams all decide to use this early call up on guys all playing on the same team?  I can't picture teams agreeing to that kind of risk. 

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Let's face it, the players that would be moved up early are not going to be evenly distributed around the CHL.  What happens when 5 different NHL teams all decide to use this early call up on guys all playing on the same team?  I can't picture teams agreeing to that kind of risk. 

If the NHL club has one exemption opportunity every five years, I doubt there will be five different NHL teams making the same request at the same time. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

If the NHL club has one exemption opportunity every five years, I doubt there will be five different NHL teams making the same request at the same time. 

I think shrader is referring to the effect on the CHL team that has a bunch of great players.

Which I really don't care about.

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think shrader is referring to the effect on the CHL team that has a bunch of great players.

I'm aware that he was referring to the CHL with an abundance of elite talent. My point was that even if the elite talent was on this CHL team it doesn't mean that the team owning the rights to one of the players will be able to designate the player for an AHL assignment because their exemption was already used. My point comes down to that the usage will be very limited and less likely to significantly impact the CHL team. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm aware that he was referring to the CHL with an abundance of elite talent. My point was that even if the elite talent was on this CHL team it doesn't mean that the team owning the rights to one of the players will be able to designate the player for an AHL assignment because their exemption was already used. My point comes down to that the usage will be very limited and less likely to significantly impact the CHL team. 

I don't get how these agree with each other, but I have had a LONG day so maybe my brain is worn out.

57 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That's exactly what I meant.

But anyway, the "screw the CHL" stance makes it very difficult for a conversation on a topic that you started.  Every other league has a transfer agreement (ok, most of them) and the CHL needs one as well.

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd just make all 1st rounders have a year shorter waiting time.

How about all drafted players have one year shorter?  Probably only matters with first rounders, but even if you made all drafted players have a year shorter waiting time, it is a small fraction of all players in the chl.

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

How about all drafted players have one year shorter?  Probably only matters with first rounders, but even if you made all drafted players have a year shorter waiting time, it is a small fraction of all players in the chl.

The CHL is concerned about losing their best players.  Who are the CHL players that are drafted?  Their best players.  I really don't see any reason for either side to modify the current arrangement.  The CHL wants to keep their players as long as possible and the NHL gets to retain the rights to a player longer.  They're not going to make waves for a handful of unique cases.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-matt-savoie-unlikely-to-receive-an-exemption-to-start-season-in-rochester/article_d4d79f9c-5234-11ee-a27f-679e03c5b1ca.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Summary:  Even though he's 20, he doesn't have 4 full CHL seasons, and doesn't turn 21 until Jan 1--one day too late.  Shane Wright received an exemption, but Lysowski thinks Savoie won't.  And I still think this CHL-NHL agreement is absurd.

You mean 19. He won't be 20 by December 31st.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

But we want the geese to stay in Canada.

There should be exceptional status given to a select few around December 25th, Ebenezer would approve 👍 

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They already have their own arrangement.  It's usually a V.

Speaking of V, think I'll start watching that old series again 😀

Thanks

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.