The summer doldrums of hockey. The I met a player thread.

Porous Five Hole

Sat on a plane with Dale Murphy... nice guy... 

Got Gilbert Perrault's and Gerry Korab's auto at a signing... both were joking with each other... 

Met OJ at an airport, signed my superman comic book... lost that a long time ago...

Used to go to UMass games and skated after UMass practices  where I met Quick and journeyman D who played for Sabres, Toronto I forget his name... both nice Quick was kinda quiet... 

Met Steve Santini now with i think Mini.. played with NJ, St Louis.   Met McAdoo when I was little...

When I went back to school for Radiology I drove limos... met Kaletta after a game and gave Paul Hamilton a ride to the airport from MSG very nice guy.

8 hours ago, will said:

when i was in college, i found myself in a car being driven by a 14 year old girl (only one who was sober) through downtown lake placid with 7 passengers as well as craig conroy and ed heinrich in the trunk with a case of beer (clarkson was in the ECAC tournament).  of course, the town cops stopped us within 100 feet of our destination, and after about 10 minutes of pleading by the girl's mother in freezing temperatures, they let us go.

brief as it is, this story took some *turns*.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Sat on a plane with Dale Murphy... nice guy... 

Dale Murphy the baseball player?

Off topic, but I think he might be one of the most underrated baseball players ever. I was a kid, but It just seemed to me like for the day, the value he was to his team, the way he played, his overall talent wasn't talked about much compared to many of the other stars of the day. Phenominal player.

• Like (+1) 1

Luce I:  McDonald's, breakfast after Mass.  About 1976.  Signed an autograph on a McDonald's napkin for me.  This was an exercise devised by my father to give me confidence approaching strangers on my own.  'Cause that's smart policy for a five-year-old.

Perreault:  Numerous times starting in about 1978.  Basically, whenever we were late for Mass and had to stand in the back.  Yeah, he would say hi and pat me on the head and all that.  Good dude. It greatly annoyed my mother that I paid more attention to Perreault than to the altar.

Luce II:  2004.  Soho.  I told him the McDonald's story and bought him a beer.  He really seemed to enjoy that I had remembered him.

Peters I:  The Arena.  Around the same time.  He was a scratch for a camp scrimmage and my father and I had met up at the scrimmage for lunch and we sat near Peters in the stands.  I made fun of Peters's clothing (seriously he was dressed like a pauper) for a guy who had so much money.  He was not happy with me.  

Peters II:  Some bar about a month later.  He remembered me and started antagonizing me before a mutual friend intervened.

Lorentz:  A few times, in a few restaurants.  Always a nice guy to talk to.

Martin, Brennan's Bowery Bar, about a year before he died.  I don't know whether he's a conversationalist, but he definitely wasn't that night.  

Afinogenov and Numminen:  Hutch's, April or May 2007.  Had a brief conversation about them taking the Isles--or was it Rags--down the next day.  Playoff time, though, definitely.

Simonick, was it around 2010?  NHLHQ, Toronto.  I posted about it here at the time.

Pegula I:  Avant Building bar, the day after he bought the team.  My friend wanted a picture with him but was afraid to ask, so I went up to him and said, "Hey, Terry, would you take a picture with my friend?"  He looked like he never had had such a request before.  And yes he let me take the picture with her.

Pegula II / Jeanneret I:  They were having dinner at the bar at Chop House, and so were my brother-in-law and I.  We didn't chat for too long, only a couple of minutes.

Black:  A few times.  Not my favorite guy, to be honest.

Miller:  A few times, in a few restaurants and one Walgreens.  I never talked to him until the Walgreens, which was about a month before the trade deadline, and I wished him luck.  Also Noureen is very cute in public but definitely doesn't wear the "stripper look" from magazine covers when she's out and about.

Ray:  A few times in a few restaurants, also once at the arena in between periods, and then I sat down next to him in a club last month, and he recognized me, which I thought was pretty cool, and which made my friends wonder how the hell Rob Ray knew my face, which was even funnier.

I think that's it.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I’ve had public encounters with Rob Ray, Jim Lorentz, Larry Playfair, Dave Andrechuck, John Tucker, probably a couple of others, but never initiated a conversation beyond “hey, “player”.

September 2010 I was at the clubhouse for The Links at Ivy Ridge for lunch after a round of golf and Rick Martin walked in with his foursome.  He sat next to me at the bar.  We had a pretty good conversation about the state of the Sabres.  He was quite vocal in his disapproval of the state and direction of the team.  He was very personable.  It was a genuine thrill on my part to be talking to a boyhood hero.  I was floored when he died the following Spring.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

Rick Martin walked in with his foursome.  He sat next to me at the bar.  We had a pretty good conversation about the state of the Sabres.  He was quite vocal in his disapproval of the state and direction of the team.  He was very personable.  

I had a feeling that the one time I met him, he just was in non-conversational mood. 

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I had a feeling that the one time I met him, he just was in non-conversational mood. 

He was guarded at first.  I’m sure he’s been hounded his share of times.  Fortunately I am an introvert so he didn’t get the sense he was going to be hounded.

I dated (hung out with? was talking to? what do we call it now?) Jeremy Roenick’s daughter, Brandi, one summer (2014-ish?) when I lived in San Diego. She was doing some equestrian practice with an ex-girlfriend of mine in Rancho Santa Fe and we met through her at some dressage thing.

The worst part was I didn’t realize it was him until the third time we’d met and I said “oh *****, you’re Jeremy Roenick” to his face. Not my finest moment.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It was the spring heat wave of '02. Canadiens at Sabres. I had dawdled in the parking lot waiting for RJ clips on the radio. When I finally headed down Perry St., which was by then basically abandoned, I saw a really nice sports car off to the side. The hood was up, and it was steaming. So was the athletic young man peering at the engine. As he pulled off his shirt so he could use it to grab onto the radiator cap, I slowed down, lowered the passenger window and asked, "Need a ride?" I'll never forget Rhett Warrener's reply.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It was the spring heat wave of '02. Canadiens at Sabres. I had dawdled in the parking lot waiting for RJ clips on the radio. When I finally headed down Perry St., which was by then basically abandoned, I saw a really nice sports car off to the side. The hood was up, and it was steaming. So was the athletic young man peering at the engine. As he pulled off his shirt so he could use it to grab onto the radiator cap, I slowed down, lowered the passenger window and asked, "Need a ride?" I'll never forget Rhett Warrener's reply.

You never thought it would happen to you…..

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

I dated (hung out with? was talking to? what do we call it now?) Jeremy Roenick’s daughter, Brandi, one summer (2014-ish?) when I lived in San Diego. She was doing some equestrian practice with an ex-girlfriend of mine in Rancho Santa Fe and we met through her at some dressage thing.

There I was thinking that the story about being drunk in a packed car in Lake Placid with a 14 year old girl at the wheel (because she was sober) wouldn't be topped.

• Like (+1) 1

My son relayed a cool story to me today. He plays tier2 Junior A.

An older friend of his works at summer hockey camps for kids, juniors and pros. He invited my son down to help him with the kids, skate with the juniors and check out the pros.

The pros finished their drills and a few were still doing a few things on their own as the juniors were coming on. One guy asked my son if he could feed him some passes for one timers. My son couldn’t believe and immediately set up to help.

The player was Owen Power. They briefly chatted after and will maybe do it again tomorrow.

• Awesome! (+1) 4

On 7/26/2023 at 10:06 AM, mjd1001 said:

Dale Murphy the baseball player?

Off topic, but I think he might be one of the most underrated baseball players ever. I was a kid, but It just seemed to me like for the day, the value he was to his team, the way he played, his overall talent wasn't talked about much compared to many of the other stars of the day. Phenominal player.

No the defenseman for Caps and Detroit... sorry Larry Murphy.

22 hours ago, French Collection said:

My son relayed a cool story to me today. He plays tier2 Junior A.

An older friend of his works at summer hockey camps for kids, juniors and pros. He invited my son down to help him with the kids, skate with the juniors and check out the pros.

The pros finished their drills and a few were still doing a few things on their own as the juniors were coming on. One guy asked my son if he could feed him some passes for one timers. My son couldn’t believe and immediately set up to help.

The player was Owen Power. They briefly chatted after and will maybe do it again tomorrow.

They met again today and Owen gave him his stick, signed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

I met Mike Keenan the summer before he won the cup with the Rags. I had to tow his Mercedes wagon from Bristol back to Rochester after he plunked a deer with it. I had to meet him at the Lock, Stock and Barrel, a bar near the Bristol ski resort. He was hammered!!! Only other hockey player I met was Andy Ristau, not long after he got jumped in pre-game warmups by the entire Hershey Bears team. They were kicking him in the head and everything. It was ***** brutal. Half of the Bears should've been arrested. I met him in the elevator that went up to the suites. He was a big dude.

But my biggest thrill was when I was like 12 and I got to meet Cal Ripken and Eddie Murray after the Orioles played a double header against the Indians in that old shithole stadium in Cleveland. We told them we were from Rochester and they talked with us for like 15 mins and gave me their autographs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Love this topic and enjoy reading all the stories.

Have "met" a lot of players by going to the fan event things the team has hosted throughout the years. Most of the time it's just "Hello (player signs autograph), Thank you"

A few of the more notable and friendly guys were Gare, Barnes, Gratton and Pominville. Pommer was years ago when the slug jerseys just came out. I hate them now as they wore on me in the wrong way but I was wearing my new Pominville jersey. Got an autographed picture and he asked if I wanted my jersey signed too. Stupid me says oh no thanks I just got this and then I'll never wear it again. It now sits in my closet where it has for a good 15 years untouched. Oops.

Met Hasek a few months back at a signing at Dave & Adams. Had an old team yearbook. As I'm standing there he preceded to leaf through it and was talking about his old teammates that were on each page. My wife actually took a pic of him holding the sharpie with this huge smile on his face. When I walked away one of the employees even commented about how I not only got him to sign it but he read it too haha. He really took his time with everyone which was awesome for such a high stature NHL'er.

Andrew Peters was the opposite. Loved him on his TV show and on the radio. He wasn't really that friendly but maybe just having a bad day. It happens. Seemed like he had a million places he would've rather been. Probably the case with most of them.

Missed autograph jersey #2 happened last year at the fan fest. We knew Warrener was going to be there. Was going to take my jersey just in case. Decided not to and of course ended up meeting him. Told him I was kicking myself for not bringing it with me. Really nice guy. Said something about moving back to town or that he would be here more often so maybe next time. Hoping he's at this year's event again so I can make up for that.

Talked to Darryl Shannon that same day. Also very personable. Had a quick chat about the goatheads coming back. Said it was a great look and he was also happy the team decided to do that.

Those are my silly stories but figured I'd chime in on here for once. Go Sabres!

Edited by SabreFan78
  • Like (+1) 2

Does it have to be Sabres?

Bob Gainey in Pittsburgh when he was coaching the North Stars in '91.  I told him I thought he was doing a great job and wished him good luck the following season.  He asked me who the hell I was and so I told him.  Then he told me to F OFF - nice guy other than that.  It was in a downtown hotel lobby little shop.  He was buying Bic disposables.  I needed a train ticket to get to Carnegie.

Tockett in Pittsburgh.

Mario was our neighbour in Pittsbugh before he built out in the sticks.  Mount Lebanon.  Nice pool.  We kinda crashed his cup party in '91.  Cup was in the deep end.  Everyone was giddy and plastered.  No one noticed us at all so we left.  Kind of boring really.

Ernie Whitt ran over my brothers foot.  The only one who I am confident will know of this dude is @Thorny

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Bob Gainey in Pittsburgh when he was coaching the North Stars in '91.  I told him I thought he was doing a great job and wished him good luck the following season.  He asked me who the hell I was and so I told him.  Then he told me to F OFF - nice guy other than that.  It was in a downtown hotel lobby little shop.  He was buying Bic disposables.  I needed a train ticket to get to Carnegie.

Tockett in Pittsburgh.

Mario was our neighbour in Pittsbugh before he built out in the sticks.  Mount Lebanon.  Nice pool.  We kinda crashed his cup party in '91.  Cup was in the deep end.  Everyone was giddy and plastered.  No one noticed us at all so we left.  Kind of boring really.

Ernie Whitt ran over my brothers foot.  The only one who I am confident will know of this dude is @Thorny

Blue jays catcher???

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Tockett in Pittsburgh.

Ernie Whitt took some mighty cuts back in the day.

• Like (+1) 1

Great thread.

I met Danny Gare at an autograph session in one of the local malls when I was a kid.  He was really nice.  Then, in the late 1990s, I went to my first Sabres game in Buffalo in forever.  We went to a bar downtown after the game, and there was Gare, pretty sauced, big grin on his face and having a great time with anyone who wanted to chat with him.

A few years later, I was on vacation in Florida during the week of the NHL all-star game, which the Panthers were hosting, and I ran into Miro Satan at a hotel.  I almost bumped into him, looked up, recognized him and reflexively said "Miro!"  He looked up, I said I was a Sabres fan and wished him luck.  He was pretty nice too.

Never got to meet Rico, who was my favorite player as a kid.  I did see Perreault once in the late 1970s picking up takeout food from a restaurant on Maple Road as I was entering with my family.  We didn't talk but he obviously knew he'd been recognized and smiled.

23 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Great thread.

I met Danny Gare at an autograph session in one of the local malls when I was a kid.  He was really nice.  Then, in the late 1990s, I went to my first Sabres game in Buffalo in forever.  We went to a bar downtown after the game, and there was Gare, pretty sauced, big grin on his face and having a great time with anyone who wanted to chat with him.

A few years later, I was on vacation in Florida during the week of the NHL all-star game, which the Panthers were hosting, and I ran into Miro Satan at a hotel.  I almost bumped into him, looked up, recognized him and reflexively said "Miro!"  He looked up, I said I was a Sabres fan and wished him luck.  He was pretty nice too.

Never got to meet Rico, who was my favorite player as a kid.  I did see Perreault once in the late 1970s picking up takeout food from a restaurant on Maple Road as I was entering with my family.  We didn't talk but he obviously knew he'd been recognized and smiled.

Rico was an awesome guy.   Fast, huge hands, and amazingly good hand-eye coordination.   He was a finisher on the ice and also a fantastic golfer.  From what I’m told he had an ability to remember people after meeting them only one time or after a long period of time.    Several people have told me they were surprised that he remembered them on a second meeting.  Either he really had a great memory or he just knew how to make others feel good.    I meet him a bunch of times and he presented himself like we knew each other.   

He should be a HoF member if not for that devastating knee injury.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.