OT: Is it time for a new pizza thread?

JoeSchmoe

Coming from Canada, we like to hit the pizza joints of Niagara Falls, NY (as it's closer than Buffalo proper). Most are hole in the wall type places that all serve good pizza and wings (esp compared to Canada). It seems everyone has their favourite.

I may have mentioned before that WAY back in the day, nothing could touch Sammy's on Hyde Park Blvd. Then maybe 15 years ago the quality went down. 

Last weekend we tried Joey's in the LaSalle neighborhood. It was good enough to go back... But still no old school Sammy's.

Any others hit the NF pizza joints?

Any new faces on the scene in the Buffalo area?

• Thanks (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

WHY??????

Why would you do this to me???

WHY?????

Pizza is my addiction, I went up from 198 to 244 lbs during covid. I just crested down below 233, AND YOU POST THIS!!!!

Why don't you kick my dog while your at it..... 😛

Those are just love pounds keep it up 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm in Dallas visiting my daughter  any good "buffalo pizza" here she is taking me to "Duffs" tomorrow  I'm not excited 

I bought a t-shirt from there and I wear it every time I visit Rochester/Buffalo just to see how many people catch the "Southlake, TX" part.

To answer your question though, pizza is hit or miss and a lot more miss than hit here. We have one local (for me) one that's decent enough, but it isn't worth the drive for you (I live where my neighbor across the road has 4,000 acres). Funny enough, the lack of decent wings here is the reason I've got quite good at making wings. I don't know why I don't try making pizza. 

If you want a wood-fired, non-"traditional" pizza, this place in Fort Worth is pretty good and the beer is decent. Although, honestly, the sandwiches are the best thing on the menu.

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm in Dallas visiting my daughter  any good "buffalo pizza" here she is taking me to "Duffs" tomorrow  I'm not excited 

If you can get over to Fort Worth, check out Buffalo Bros.  There is a location in downtown Fort Worth and one near TCU.   The guy who runs them is from Kenmore.  If you're in town Monday that would be a good day because Buffalo Bros. has half off all their pizzas including whole pies and slices (excludes only pizza-wing combos).  If you do decide to go Monday for dinner let me know; maybe I can meet up with you.

The Duff's in Southlake is... okay, but it's set in a strip mall and just doesn't have a Buffalo vibe.  The wings are okay though.

image.thumb.png.d15bd90b640e58a75871bd469d949e90.png

PIzza from Buffalo Bros.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

• spndnchz changed the title to OT: Is it time for a new pizza thread?
1 hour ago, Night Train said:

I live in the Tonawanda NY area. Wheelers is a bar known for their outstanding pub food and has won local awards for their pizza and wings. I love both. 2nd to none IMO. 

TC's is very good.

I worked at Pizza Junction on Erie Ave. in NT back in the mid 80's, 2 of the guys I worked with started Good Guys Pizza, very thick, but very good as well.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

TC's is very good.

I worked at Pizza Junction on Erie Ave. in NT back in the mid 80's, 2 of the guys I worked with started Good Guys Pizza, very thick, but very good as well.

I have no idea how they stay in business putting 10 lbs of cheese on every pie. Moving from Buffalo to Wheatfield in high school sucked in regards to food. We lived not far from good guys. When my family would order them I would ride my bike back to Buffalo and get pizza from there. Their fingers used to be OK but they changed them around covid.  Niagara county is a place I would avoid if I'm looking for good food. 

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Kr632 said:

I have no idea how they stay in business putting 10 lbs of cheese on every pie. Moving from Buffalo to Wheatfield in high school sucked in regards to food. We lived not far from good guys. When my family would order them I would ride my bike back to Buffalo and get pizza from there. Their fingers used to be OK but they changed them around covid.  Niagara county is a place I would avoid if I'm looking for good food. 

Isn’t Good Guys is in Niagara county?

11 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don’t get up to NF NY for pizza, but this Canadian Joe sure does. Here’s his review of Joey’s. He has dozens of reviews — I enjoy them. (Joes everywhere!)

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

PIzza from Buffalo Bros.

Cup and Char pepperoni for the win !!!!!!!!!

although when it comes to the dough super thin crust for me... dare I say Brooklyn style. Living out here in Washington state it took me over a decade to find a pizza place suitable for my sophisticated Buffalo pizza palette

44 minutes ago, Kr632 said:

I'm guessing you lived in the Krueger neighborhood in between Ward and Ruie Rd?

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Isn’t Good Guys is in Niagara county?

Yes it is, NT

26 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm guessing you lived in the Krueger neighborhood in between Ward and Ruie Rd?

Yes it is, NT

I know. Been there hundreds of times. It was good when it was Pizza Pickup. They had the first Galaxian machine, then Galaga , then Asteroids,… 😂

That was the point. It’s good food and in Niagara county.

It’s been a while though. Maybe it’s gone down hill.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

If you can get over to Fort Worth, check out Buffalo Bros.  There is a location in downtown Fort Worth and one near TCU.   The guy who runs them is from Kenmore.  If you're in town Monday that would be a good day because Buffalo Bros. has half off all their pizzas including whole pies and slices (excludes only pizza-wing combos).  If you do decide to go Monday for dinner let me know; maybe I can meet up with you.

The Duff's in Southlake is... okay, but it's set in a strip mall and just doesn't have a Buffalo vibe.  The wings are okay though.

PIzza from Buffalo Bros.

31$ ? Or am I looking at that wrong 

And is it worth it? Might have to ask her to pick one up

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Somebody would make a friggin killing… If they opened up a “New York” or even “Buffalo style” pizzeria in Orlando near of the theme parks.

Buffalo Bros in Fort Worth was opened by a local restaurateur at the suggestion of one of his chefs who is from Kenmore.  The restaurateur has several restaurants under different names and themes, but he has two locations of Buffalo Bros.  The chef, Ed, is now part owner and partner.  They've talked about expanding to Dallas but haven't gotten there yet. 

Maybe someday Florida, who knows?  I think part of the issue would be scalability; right now they do runs to Buffalo for Sahlen's, loganberry syrup, Bison Brand French Onion Dip, etc.  You can do that for a couple restaurants but if you get too many you really need commercial supply (especially if the restaurants are not geographically close).  For other things he sources them locally, like he gets the kimmelweck buns baked locally to his spec.

Edited by Doohickie

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It says 1/2 off on Mondays on the box.  That one was about $13 I think (on Monday).

I used to think that was a lot of money for a pizza (the regular price of $26) but it's slightly cheaper than La Nova in Buffalo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.