What’s left for KA to do this Summer?

GASabresIUFAN

Just now, dudacek said:

Oh I agree, but you’re out here in B.C. Don’t you think every move they make is aimed at getting better without hitting the rebuild button?

They have absolutely nothing behind Demko and would be lost without him.

You’re bang on with that statement.

They were told by Linden about 5 years ago  to rebuild. Benning and ownership said no so Trevor left. He was dead right. 

The Canucks honestly don’t have the feel of knowing what they’re doing sometimes. Even last year they could’ve gotten worse and better odds for the hometown phenom but instead they went the other way and won games they shouldn’t have. 

I don’t know what they’ll fully look like this year but they risk staying out of the dance longer because of their lack of biting the bullet. They’d probably be rebuilt already had they listened to Linden back then. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I know Greenway has his doubters, but I really like the concept of a Mitts Cozens Greenway 2nd line next year.

I think the doggedness and skill of the first two will elevate the levels of each in Greenway.

I think the size and defence of Greenway will create space for the skill guys and improve the line defensively.

And I think the size/speed/skill mix of the Sabres top 6 overall would be like defending a landslide, especially with Dahlin out with one unit and Power with the other.

I see Tuch Thompson Cozens and Greenway tearing into the opponents like dire wolves with Skinner and Mitts ripping away at the flanks like hyenas.

This is awesome.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I know Greenway has his doubters, but I really like the concept of a Mitts Cozens Greenway 2nd line next year.

I think the doggedness and skill of the first two will elevate the levels of each in Greenway.

I think the size and defence of Greenway will create space for the skill guys and improve the line defensively.

And I think the size/speed/skill mix of the Sabres top 6 overall would be like defending a landslide, especially with Dahlin out with one unit and Power with the other.

I see Tuch Thompson Cozens and Greenway tearing into the opponents like dire wolves with Skinner and Mitts ripping away at the flanks like hyenas.

One of the steps that has to happen for the team to become champion quality is for Tage and Cozens to improve their defensive skills. 

I think there will ne more concentration on defensive play from the whole team this season though. 

As Eric Johnson said the Avs took the next step when they slightly dialed back on offense and dramatically improved the defense.

This did improve their offense possession numbers as they had the puck more often 

• Like (+1) 7

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

That is a very optimistic and dare I say lofty view of Greenway and his abilities. I definitely didn't see any of that last year and Minnesota clearly didn't see that but I guess it's possible (?). He has the size, so I guess you're suggesting he still hasn't reached his full potential and will late bloom sort of like Thompson? Well, I hope you're right, and if you are it's the trade of the decade for the Sabres but I personally can't pin my hopes on that. I see Greenway as a kind of less skilled but younger John Van Riemsdyck at best and possibly a lot less.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

That is a very optimistic and dare I say lofty view of Greenway and his abilities. I definitely didn't see any of that last year and Minnesota clearly didn't see that but I guess it's possible (?). He has the size, so I guess you're suggesting he still hasn't reached his full potential and will late bloom sort of like Thompson? Well, I hope you're right, and if you are it's the trade of the decade for the Sabres but I personally can't pin my hopes on that. I see Greenway as a kind of less skilled but younger John Van Riemsdyck at best and possibly a lot less.

I’m not pushing Greenway as some sort of Mike Foligno in waiting.

In the 2 seasons prior to last, he put up 59 points in 118 games with no PP time playing on a checking line against top opponents with a heavy dose of D-zone starts. He also had 252 hits and he isn’t prone to running around and taking stupid penalties. He is also an absolute mountain of a man, one of the biggest forwards in the national hockey league.

He’s never been given the opportunity to play with players as talented as Mitts and Cozens, and his amateur numbers show he might have more offence inside him, but he’s never been a goal scorer. I’m not pitching him here as a Van Reimsdyk.

I’m hoping more for a reliable pillar of a player in the way Mike Grier was on the flank of Chris Drury. More of a 40 points to Casey’s 60 and Dylan’s 70 while doing everything on the 2nd line that Victor Olofsson couldn’t. Basically, I’m looking to him to be that “playoff-type” hockey player you say this team lacks.

It’s definitely an optimistic view. But looking at his career, last season marked an outlier - clearly the worst of what he’s had to offer. Physical play and defence have been his calling cards.

He got stale and he’s being given a second chance.

We’ve seen Donnie work magic with guys like this before.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’m not pushing Greenway as some sort of Mike Foligno in waiting.

In the 2 seasons prior to last, he put up 59 points in 118 games with no PP time playing on a checking line against top opponents with a heavy dose of D-zone starts. He also had 252 hits and he isn’t prone to running around and taking stupid penalties. He is also an absolute mountain of a man, one of the biggest forwards in the national hockey league.

He’s never been given the opportunity to play with players as talented as Mitts and Cozens, and his amateur numbers show he might have more offence inside him, but he’s never been a goal scorer. I’m not pitching him here as a Van Reimsdyk.

I’m hoping more for a reliable pillar of a player in the way Mike Grier was on the flank of Chris Drury. More of a 40 points to Casey’s 60 and Dylan’s 70 while doing everything on the 2nd line that Victor Olofsson couldn’t. Basically, I’m looking to him to be that “playoff-type” hockey player you say this team lacks.

It’s definitely an optimistic view. But looking at his career, last season marked an outlier - clearly the worst of what he’s had to offer. Physical play and defence have been his calling cards.

He got stale and he’s being given a second chance.

We’ve seen Donnie work magic with guys like this before.

Oh it's possible. I'd say not probable, but possible. If he is like another Grier I'd be happy. 

Mike Foligno.......sigh..........you got me thinking how we could really use a modern day Mike Foligno. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

As Eric Johnson said the Avs took the next step when they slightly dialed back on offense and dramatically improved the defense.

This did improve their offense possession numbers as they had the puck more often 

Same for Washington under Trotz.  

• Agree 2

On 7/3/2023 at 4:27 PM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The Sabres missed by 1 point last season.  The team was that close and that good with some stretches that were terrible.

KA has done enough that the Sabres will contend for the playoff and will make it baring disaster.

KA has brought in some key pieces on D, including what I felt was key - a playoff battle tested vet.

The 8-game streak without a point is the killer. just a couple OT losses and we were in.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

I want to see Greenway play when 100% healthy.  He missed all of last offseason (camp/preseason and the start of the season) with a bad shoulder.  He reaggravated it again early last season and again when on the Sabres.  I'm very hopeful in seeing a much better player this year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/5/2023 at 12:53 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Oh it's possible. I'd say not probable, but possible. If he is like another Grier I'd be happy. 

Mike Foligno.......sigh..........you got me thinking how we could really use a modern day Mike Foligno. 

Who is a modern day Mike Foligno?  1018 games, 355 goals, 727 pts, 2049 PIM.  Your not allowed to play that way any more. 

Nick and Marcus combined are just getting close to the old man’s numbers.  

• Like (+1) 2

Interesting quote from Granato this morning that seems to indicate he’s not expecting to be adding much in the way of reinforcements or rookies.

Also touches on the whole development vs winning argument. Basically saying this group is no longer inexperienced, and will be expected to be accountable.

Q: As expectations rise and you have all of these young prospects pushing for spots, how does that balance work for you? You mentioned last year shifting how you coach a bit, maybe being a little tougher on guys. How do you strike that balance?

We were always tough, but it was a different demand. It was kind of shifting. There’s an organic approach to it, which is the most impactful. They were immersed in gaining experience because we wanted them to soak as much in through the NHL the last couple of years as possible. There are guys who played the bulk of their NHL career in the last couple of years. We wanted them to be immersed in the moment, learn from the moment and soak the experience out of it and pay attention to details and absorb it, even if it’s a mistake. Maybe you thought you were going to outscore a team and you forgot how important defense is or stick position is or details are. Those players gained that experience and I talked to our team just past the midway point, that young is old. You may be young in age but not in experience. Guys that have been with us as a coaching staff by the end of the year had 162 opportunities to grow and that’s more than enough for me. We’ve provided those growth moments as opportunities. Now it’s about applying those and being more consistent, having more conviction. So for any young guys coming in, it’s the guys that return that this is their ball. I see a roster that is going to look a lot like last year. That group last year brought us to a level that they’ve earned the first right to keep this thing going in a positive direction. And if we have a shift in focus, like I talked about, with greater attention to detail, those are the guys that are going to have to do it

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

That group last year brought us to a level that they’ve earned the first right to keep this thing going in a positive direction. And if we have a shift in focus, like I talked about, with greater attention to detail, those are the guys that are going to have to do it

Us fans can debate HCDG and GMKA's approach all we want BUT it's their team and they think they know this is the correct way to do things going forward.  I can't argue too much against it.  I guess this type of "attitude" from the management is why we see Girgs and KO back for one more year.  Maybe even they have hope that VO (who thought he was gone) may put in the D work he desperately needs (and even admits).  Everything is a risk, and it looks they see it differently than some of us.

I can get behind this with the forwards and the D (with the moves made this year) but I admit that it puts a lot of pressure on UPL to not only get his own game under control, but he has to help his partner throughout the season.  I'd feel better if MAF was the man to do that.

Ooh Aah!  Sabres on the Warpath! 

Edited by Cheektorado
  • Like (+1) 1

FWIW, earlier today I listened to an interview on WGR with Jason Karmanos from July 3.  When asked if the Sabres were done, he said they were still interested in adding depth on D.  I think that was before they re-signed Clague, so that might have been what he was referring to, but it might also mean they're still in the mix on Pesce and Hanifin if and when the price comes down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

FWIW, earlier today I listened to an interview on WGR with Jason Karmanos from July 3.  When asked if the Sabres were done, he said they were still interested in adding depth on D.  I think that was before they re-signed Clague, so that might have been what he was referring to, but it might also mean they're still in the mix on Pesce and Hanifin if and when the price comes down.

This might be reading into a comment too much, but I’d think he wouldn’t have said adding depth if they were still trying to add a top four defenseman. 

On 7/4/2023 at 8:58 PM, nfreeman said:

This is awesome.

I haven't seen anything in Greenway's game to show that he's worthy of being above the fourth line.  Now, his injury woes might be a preamble for that.  I'll just watch into the start of next season.  He's the biggest wild card for sure.  I still would like to get rid of Comrie and get some sort of alternative in net. 

With him firing his agent and with top teams being cap squeezed now is the right time imo to offer Tarasenko a good one year deal. Replaces Quinn, makes the second line more dangerous, and if the season goes badly we retain and flip at the deadline. No idea if he'd want to be here but at this point his options are limited and a one year deal is probably all he gets. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like Greenway okay. I’d like to see him be more of an intimidator with his size. He just is not a reliable scorer. It’s possible but I would be surprised if his injury kept him from putting the puck away on chances he had last year. He could still be a player if he would grind harder and develop as a forechecker and defender. 

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I'm concerned that the johnson signing is for the top 4 .

Don Granato puts Erik Johnson on the top defense pairing, he believes the veteran can help Rasmus Dahlin reset from the mental pressure he often puts on himself...

Of course, Granato thinks Johnson, 35, would have a similar effect on Owen Power, the No. 1 selection in 2021. And if Johnson skates with Mattias Samuelsson when the Sabres are down a man, Granato said the youngster “is going to move toward more of an elite penalty killer by virtue of sharing experience with

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-notes-don-granato-believes-erik-johnson-will-help-rasmus-dahlin-other-defensemen/

Maybe the depth is for 5 or 6 like The quote you have 😕

Edited by Buffalonill

27 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm concerned that the johnson signing is for the top 4 .

Don Granato puts Erik Johnson on the top defense pairing, he believes the veteran can help Rasmus Dahlin reset from the mental pressure he often puts on himself...

Of course, Granato thinks Johnson, 35, would have a similar effect on Owen Power, the No. 1 selection in 2021. And if Johnson skates with Mattias Samuelsson when the Sabres are down a man, Granato said the youngster “is going to move toward more of an elite penalty killer by virtue of sharing experience with

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-notes-don-granato-believes-erik-johnson-will-help-rasmus-dahlin-other-defensemen/

Maybe the depth is for 5 or 6 like The quote you have 😕

I think you may be reading too much into DG’s comments.  I think he is of the mindset that he wants to see who has chemistry with whom.  Whose skill set works well with others.  
DG wants to see if Samuelsson and Johnson for on the PK for example even though they likely won’t be paired 5 on 5.  

They have been very adamant of cross training their players so that they can flip sides and play their off side comfortably both for the wingers and D.  They reason for this is simple, injuries or an over abundance of special teams can force guys to play together who normally don’t share the ice and DG wants the guys to be comfortable on those situations.

DG also now has a full complement of real NHL D for the first time.  Bush and Joki are going to battle to see who is our 6th D.  Last here he had 3 guys he could fully trust, now he has 5.  It’s going to take some time to figure out how the puzzle fits together. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

Interesting quote from Granato this morning that seems to indicate he’s not expecting to be adding much in the way of reinforcements or rookies.

Also touches on the whole development vs winning argument. Basically saying this group is no longer inexperienced, and will be expected to be accountable.

Q: As expectations rise and you have all of these young prospects pushing for spots, how does that balance work for you? You mentioned last year shifting how you coach a bit, maybe being a little tougher on guys. How do you strike that balance?

We were always tough, but it was a different demand. It was kind of shifting. There’s an organic approach to it, which is the most impactful. They were immersed in gaining experience because we wanted them to soak as much in through the NHL the last couple of years as possible. There are guys who played the bulk of their NHL career in the last couple of years. We wanted them to be immersed in the moment, learn from the moment and soak the experience out of it and pay attention to details and absorb it, even if it’s a mistake. Maybe you thought you were going to outscore a team and you forgot how important defense is or stick position is or details are. Those players gained that experience and I talked to our team just past the midway point, that young is old. You may be young in age but not in experience. Guys that have been with us as a coaching staff by the end of the year had 162 opportunities to grow and that’s more than enough for me. We’ve provided those growth moments as opportunities. Now it’s about applying those and being more consistent, having more conviction. So for any young guys coming in, it’s the guys that return that this is their ball. I see a roster that is going to look a lot like last year. That group last year brought us to a level that they’ve earned the first right to keep this thing going in a positive direction. And if we have a shift in focus, like I talked about, with greater attention to detail, those are the guys that are going to have to do it

And Ralph sold the snake oil?

I think Don is more than happy to take this long, slow ride with KA.

Job security, it's a helluva drug.

• Agree 1

The physicality that Clifton and E. Johnson bring will be welcome. Their respective hits last year (208 & 121) were easily more than any other defender on the Sabres last season. Their hits the past two years:

Clifton: 156 / 208

Johnson: 165 / 121

Hits are not everything when it comes to physical play but it’s part of it. 

Another element I am hopeful Johnson will improve on D when we are short handed. We let guys sit in the slot way too much. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.