What’s left for KA to do this Summer?

GASabresIUFAN

It looks like the NHL roster is very close to complete.  We have 25 players under contract for about 77 million. As of today we have 3G, 9D and 12F plus Quinn on IR.  I don’t see any major acquisition(s) coming at this point, even in goal.

So what’s left to do? 
1. The biggest priority has to be getting Dahlin and Power extended. How much and for how long?

2. Complete Rochester’s roster.  Murray and Weissbach have Q-offers to sign. Anything else need to done? 

3. Trim the NHL roster to 23.  Which D get moved or waived?  Bryson and Joki seem like the candidates on the block.  Do we move VO?  Do we move a goalie or a 2nd D to add a 13th forward?

4.  Camp battles: Who starts as Power’s partner? Where do any of the D outside the top 3 play?  Who joins the second line? Who centers the 3rd and 4th lines?  Where does VO play if retained? Can any of the kids crack the lineup? Who wins the backup goalie job?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to What’s left for KA to do this Summer?
47 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Still need a goalie.  

I completely agree but KA is “confident in the guys we have.”

Hard to fix a problem that you don’t believe exists. 

KA’s rationale:

“You can go sign a veteran goalie that’s played a lot of games, but if you don’t think he’s better than the ones you have, why would you do that? So you can walk in here and say we got someone who played a lot of games?” Adams said.

https://theathletic.com/4661807/2023/07/03/sabres-free-agency/

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I completely agree but KA is “confident in the guys we have.”

Hard to fix a problem that you don’t believe exists. 

KA’s rationale:

“You can go sign a veteran goalie that’s played a lot of games, but if you don’t think he’s better than the ones you have, why would you do that? So you can walk in here and say we got someone who played a lot of games?” Adams said.

https://theathletic.com/4661807/2023/07/03/sabres-free-agency/

OK then, bank on Levi and UPL  and hope everyone else stays healthy and gets better -  and let the chips fall.  

I just checked the Amerks roster and that is also looking like it’s near completion.

They have under contract 2G, 7D, 15F once Murray and Weissbach re-sign.  I don’t know if Neuchev and Novikov will be here in the fall, but I assume so.  Rousek may make the Sabres.  Komarov is signed, but I don’t think he is AHL eligible.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Goalie is it.  Anything else is gravy.

I think his statements to various media outlets are cover.

The statements are spin.  They're technically true, but they provide a perception that isn't accurately reflecting the degree to which they are true.  He might still have a career in politics if this hockey thing doesn't pan out.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The statements are spin.  They're technically true, but they provide a perception that isn't accurately reflecting the degree to which they are true.  He might still have a career in politics if this hockey thing doesn't pan out.

Precisely. 

He'll still be exploring opportunities with other teams still making some financial decisions.  

• Agree 1

Well, I don't think he's done enough to get us in the playoffs so he needs to make a trade or two. 

The D is better and deeper but it's not what I'd call great. Could still be improved. 

Goaltending is rookie dependent. He seems prepared to gamble a whole season on a rookie's performance. As a fan I'm not.

We still do not have good 2 way players who can play on the PK or in hard/gritty shutdown type roles and win face offs consistently. 

I don't see us as better enough to move past the competition unless there's a total collapse by somebody and Ottawa will also be pressing for that last playoff spot. It's just not enough to give me confidence. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

4.  Camp battles: Who starts as Power’s partner? Where do any of the D outside the top 3 play?  Who joins the second line? Who centers the 3rd and 4th lines?  Where does VO play if retained? Can any of the kids crack the lineup? Who wins the backup goalie job?

Who wins the starting goalie job? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Exactly! Totally agree.  

After all the years of following sports not just hockey… It’s amazing that some people still believe whatever the GM says is exactly what’s going to happen or what he’s thinking/planning. Since when is a public statement to the media 100% of what a GM does all the time? Right around never, that’s when. I feel pretty comfortable in guessing that Adams is not done taking calls, placing calls, offering deals, and listening to deals. despite what he may say or imply for public consumption. The same thing was said last year. And the year before that, and the …

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well, I don't think he's done enough to get us in the playoffs so he needs to make a trade or two. 

The D is better and deeper but it's not what I'd call great. Could still be improved. 

Goaltending is rookie dependent. He seems prepared to gamble a whole season on a rookie's performance. As a fan I'm not.

We still do not have good 2 way players who can play on the PK or in hard/gritty shutdown type roles and win face offs consistently. 

I don't see us as better enough to move past the competition unless there's a total collapse by somebody and Ottawa will also be pressing for that last playoff spot. It's just not enough to give me confidence. 

He isn’t looking to “get us in the playoffs” this season. He’s buying time in hopes the young players continue to develop in an accelerated fashion. 

1 minute ago, Sidc3000 said:

He isn’t looking to “get us in the playoffs” this season. He’s buying time in hopes the young players continue to develop in an accelerated fashion. 

Oh I completely disagree, I think KA is in fact looking to get the Sabres in the playoffs this coming season. Even if it means four games and out. I think KA has a lot of faith in the talent that’s on the team currently. Right or wrong, good or bad, he just has a lot of confidence in what he has built over the course of three years. Barring any major injuries to major top six players… I think the Sabres have a really good shot of making the playoffs. Regardless of if they upgrade the goaltending. Upgrading the goaltending would be a more comfortable position going into the season. I hope it happens, but if it doesn’t, it’s not a guaranteed missing of the playoffs next season. At least that’s how I see it now in July.

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I pretty much agree with all of this, I think he is once again in a similar situation as last season, I think Levi is going to be a stud but he's still going to be a rookie, there will be ups and downs imo and not having someone good enough to handle the downs is a huge mistake. I also agree, I think the D is improved but I feel like we're still missing a top 4 guy. I was hoping for solid 2 way forwards to replace Okposo and Girgensons and we didn't do that plus we weren't very good at all on faceoffs and have done nothing to improve that either. I like the 2 defensive defensmen adds plus they bring toughness. I'm not sure this is a playoff team as is to be honest, Quinn being out is another blow that we could not afford to take. I hope I'm wrong obviously!

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He better get this team into the playoffs or he can kick rocks 

It’s obvious they are on their own timeline and our frustrations as fans doesn’t matter. They’re willing to ride out the development of this young team to see where it takes them. 

Edited by Sidc3000

5 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

It’s obvious they are on their own timeline and our frustrations as fans doesn’t matter. When DG snapped at the reporter last year it was plainly obvious. They’re willing to ride out the development of this young team to see where it takes them. 

If they're goal is to "develop" and not care about playoffs then everyone can be fired. 

The time is now for Buffalo to take over the Eastern conference not wait another year .

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

As others have said he is patient and will not overpay.

I think he is keeping his powder dry and will make a move or two to get the roster trimmed a bit. Teams are over the cap or up against it with rosters to fill. There will be some cap casualties and he has space to pick one or two up.
He can also retain 50% of VO’s salary to make him more attractive.

It is nice depth to have 9 NHL defensemen but I think he moves 1 or 2 in an upgrade. Something like Joki+ for Hanifin. Bryson will not draw any interest, especially being above minimum wage, so I would send him down.

One of Comrie/UPL will probably be moved as well.

I’ve been saying it forever but there is still time to weaponize the cap space.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Precisely. 

He'll still be exploring opportunities with other teams still making some financial decisions.  

He knows how important it is to have a vet goalie to sit next to Levi in the locker room

i fully expect a trade to be made. Think they will have a real close look at Gibson

I also think they will bring in Hanifan   The fit is too good    He has history with Granato, correct ?

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

He knows how important it is to have a vet goalie to sit next to Levi in the locker room

i fully expect a trade to be made. Think they will have a real close look at Gibson

I also think they will bring in Hanifan   The fit is too good    He has history with Granato, correct ?

I question if they want his long contract in my honest opinion I don't see it happening. 

I think they go with a guy that has 1-2 years left 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.