Sabres sign Defenseman Connor Clifton to 3 year 3.33 AAV Deal

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Downplaying or dismissing Granato‘s role in the acquisition of several players so far since he has taken over as coach, is ignorant in my opinion. Not to mention other players that aren’t even on the Sabres anymore praising what Adams and Granato are building towards. It’s a nice change. It’s nice to see.

That’s great. The penalty kill is atrocious and he lost many points not pulling goalies earlier enough when it was painfully obvious 

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

That’s great. The penalty kill is atrocious and he lost many points not pulling goalies earlier enough when it was painfully obvious 

Wuh?! This is just so weird I don’t even know what to do with it.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Granato learned how to take timeouts and how to pull his goalie as the season wore on.

I'm not sure you could ever quantify getting points in the standing back by swapping your goalie earlier. Usually you get shelled for 3 before you even consider a goalie change. Even with the Sabres potent offense, you're not going to win every game in which you give up 3 or 4 goals.

9 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Granato learned how to take timeouts and how to pull his goalie as the season wore on.

I'm not sure you could ever quantify getting points in the standing back by swapping your goalie earlier. Usually you get shelled for 3 before you even consider a goalie change. Even with the Sabres potent offense, you're not going to win every game in which you give up 3 or 4 goals.

Granato had multiple games he kept them in for 5. Offense turned around but 5 is a… safe lead. He’s doing all the same failings as McDermott. All culture no smarts. 

11 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Granato had multiple games he kept them in for 5. Offense turned around but 5 is a… safe lead. He’s doing all the same failings as McDermott. All culture no smarts. 

I'd have to do some research to check it out, but I also recall the first 2/3 of the season he was obstinate sticking with the starter. But then Granato did start pulling the goalie when necessary as well as taking timeouts. I don't know the game, but he took a timeout and the Sabres responded well by settling down and scoring a goal (they ultimately lost the game anyway).

If Granato continues his own progress early this season... maybe they do scratch back to win a game (or get a point or two) in the couple games the starter doesn't have it.

12 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I'd have to do some research to check it out, but I also recall the first 2/3 of the season he was obstinate sticking with the starter. But then Granato did start pulling the goalie when necessary as well as taking timeouts. I don't know the game, but he took a timeout and the Sabres responded well by settling down and scoring a goal (they ultimately lost the game anyway).

If Granato continues his own progress early this season... maybe they do scratch back to win a game (or get a point or two) in the couple games the starter doesn't have it.

They also legitimately seemed to change from trying to expose the players to experience to a very aggressive winning approach seeing as players who weren't "trusted" were benched and in the end the goalie carousel completely halted.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

They also legitimately seemed to change from trying to expose the players to experience to a very aggressive winning approach seeing as players who weren't "trusted" were benched and in the end the goalie carousel completely halted.

Agreed. There was a very noticeable shift in coaching focus from “developing” to “winning” that happened to close out the season.

I see no reason for that to shift in the coming year.

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

I don't think pulling a goalie does much most times and in Buffalo's case pulling UPL for Comrie or vice versus just seems redundant. Neither were good. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Seems like most people like the signing, but how many think Clifton can be a solid #4 defenceman?

I look at him more as a 4/5 - a guy who can play top 4 minutes in a pinch, but is better suited for the 3rd pairing.

If you would have told me we were getting Clifton last week, I would be happy with the addition but hopeful that he was brought in to drive a great third pair behind Power's new stud partner, OR that Clifton was followed with a trade for a Very Good Goalie. I would have expressed worry if Clifton was added and none of those other things seemed ready to materialize

Variables include the granato factor as well as a good response to increased opportunity, no shame in being stuck behind McAvoy and Carlo

The addition is very good overall and Power could also make any worries irrelevant with a big step 

Edited by Randall Flagg

9 hours ago, kas23 said:

Seriously, this guy doesn’t come across as a guy who has nearly double the amount of hits as the next Sabres defenseman. I like it. 

The presser sounded like a very awkward job interview.  I got the impression that he knows he's like the #4C but he's trying to talk himself into thinking he's up to the challenge.  I think he might be, but after playing on a much older Bruins team he's going to have adjust to being one of the veterans.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I see no reason for that to shift in the coming year.

I actually think the first month or so will be somewhat developmental in nature, especially for defensive pairings, not worrying about winning but about "playing the right way" as a team.  I also think he Donny will try to use his entire roster (including the extra skaters).  Eventually he will settle in and focus more on winning at any cost.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Seems like most people like the signing, but how many think Clifton can be a solid #4 defenceman?

I look at him more as a 4/5 - a guy who can play top 4 minutes in a pinch, but is better suited for the 3rd pairing.

I kind of hope that's the plan- have him fill a 4/5 role, and be the snarling shutdown guy at the end.  But that means Kevyn has more work to do this summer because Joki is not the answer.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The presser sounded like a very awkward job interview.  I got the impression that he knows he's like the #4C but he's trying to talk himself into thinking he's up to the challenge.  I think he might be, but after playing on a much older Bruins team he's going to have adjust to being one of the veterans.

I got that vibe too. He doesn’t want to say that he’s pushed Joki and Boosh down the depth chart. He also wants to show that he deserves that opportunity.

8 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I got that vibe too. He doesn’t want to say that he’s pushed Joki and Boosh down the depth chart. He also wants to show that he deserves that opportunity.

I'm trying to decide if that means he's humble and what will it mean in the dressing room if he's 4D and Joki's been demoted.  I get it, that's hockey, but it's also as awkward as it came across in the interview.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I'm trying to decide if that means he's humble and what will it mean in the dressing room if he's 4D and Joki's been demoted.  I get it, that's hockey, but it's also as awkward as it came across in the interview.

I guess nobody knows who the best partner for Power is yet. CC may have terrible chemistry with Power. EJ could be a great match but he is not up to 20+ minutes a night. Maybe Joki takes a step and realizes this is a make or break camp for him.

• Like (+1) 1

I view Clifton as Power's partner and I'm not overly worried about him not being able to handle it. Looks like a perfect #4 next to Owen. 

It's interesting how many here view Samuelsson compared to Clifton. Samuelsson is probably a little overpaid and needs to continue developing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I view Clifton as Power's partner and I'm not overly worried about him not being able to handle it. Looks like a perfect #4 next to Owen. 

It's interesting how many here view Samuelsson compared to Clifton. Samuelsson is probably a little overpaid and needs to continue developing. 

I would agree with this. Obviously Buffalo is counting on Sam’s development so that while he is overpaid the first two years, he will be underpaid the duration of the contract.

Edited by tom webster

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.