Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

4 minutes ago, irregularly irregular said:

Maybe individually at some point in the season, but IMHO not all 3 to start the season. That's just too much new and unproven rookie learning curve to the start the season with. 

Never mind. Just saw your reply.

I agree.  I think there’s a reasonable shot all 3 are ready to roll starting in 2024.  Maybe not the worst idea to have one of the three make the team if they deserve it this year?  Otherwise your point about dealing with 3 rookie learning curves next year holds true.  

44 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Hanifin is an offensive first defensive and really isn’t what Power needs. Johnson and Clifton fill that role better than he does.

IF they land Hanifin, personally see him anchoring the 3rd pairing (or 2nd if Power anchors the 3rd).  They'd have the ability to ice 3 extremely balanced pairs that way with a playmaker and a stay at home guy on each:

Samuelsson - Dahlin

Power - Clifton

Hanifin - Lyubushkin/Johnson

Spares: Stillman - Johnson/Lyubushkin

Presumes Jokiharju is part of the package for either Hanifin or something else Adams tries to bring in.  And that D could be mixed and matched depending upon situation or opponent and also doesn't go to crud with an injury or 2 (even at the top of the food chain).

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IF they land Hanifin, personally see him anchoring the 3rd pairing (or 2nd if Power anchors the 3rd).  They'd have the ability to ice 3 extremely balanced pairs that way with a playmaker and a stay at home guy on each:

Samuelsson - Dahlin

Power - Clifton

Presumes Jokiharju is part of the package for either Hanifin or something else Adams tries to bring in.  And that D could be mixed and matched depending upon situation or opponent and also doesn't go to crud with an injury or 2 (even at the top of the food chain).

You don’t pay the price of what Hanifan will cost to play him as 5/6d unless you’re cutting down power and dahlins minutes significantly and giving more to the 3rd pairing. Doesn’t mKe sense to do that 

Pesce makes more sense to pair with Power than Hanifan, though I believe Power can work with any partner.  Noah is kind of like Helleybuyck in that I love the player but isn't the right fit for the sabres current structure. Same with Gibson.  Give me Hart from PHI, who's clearly on the block, but Danny's price has to come down.  Hart for UPL, Busch and a  condiitonal 1st (If sabres win one round in the playoffs), a 2nd if they don't.  Hart is really good on a really bad team.  A tandem of Levi and him splitting games for the next 10 years would be nice

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

You don’t pay the price of what Hanifan will cost to play him as 5/6d unless you’re cutting down power and dahlins minutes significantly and giving more to the 3rd pairing. Doesn’t mKe sense to do that 

Don't know that it would "significantly" reduce Dahlin's minutes, but it would reduce them some and would likely reduce Power's as well.  Not positive that's necessarily a bad thing as making sure both of those guys have gas in the tank remaining when the playoffs hit is a good thing.  They also would be able to drop to essentially 4 (or 5 depending upon the situation) D rotating out in crunch time and Dahlin and Power would be 2 of those guys getting the crunchtime minutes.

IF they did land Hanifin (or Pesce or a guy of that quality), providing they didn't lose any of last year's top 3 nor Clifton to get him would leave the Sabres with arguably the best D-corps in the league.  You would have 60 minutes of quality D play every night the top 6 are healthy and you'd still have a very solid D should one be out with injury.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

It seems like a risky move but maybe it could end up like a skinner type trade

This is what I mean when I tell you to take the time to make your posts better and not just subject everyone to whatever pops into your mind.

The Sabres gave up Pu (a 3rd rounder they drafted 2 years before trading him), a 2nd, a 3rd and a 6th for Skinner.

That is night and day from Rosen and their 2024 #1.

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

You need to respect other people's time.  They read this board for good hockey talk.  Not this.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

This is what I mean when I tell you to take the time to make your posts better and not just subject everyone to whatever pops into your mind.

The Sabres gave up Pu (a 3rd rounder they drafted 2 years before trading him), a 2nd, a 3rd and a 6th for Skinner.

That is night and day from Rosen and their 2024 #1.

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

You need to respect other people's time.  They read this board for good hockey talk.  Not this.

When I said Skinner type .

Meaning the Production 

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Samuelsson - Dahlin

Power - Clifton

Not saying they would do this, but it's also possible Dahlin goes back to the left side.

Dahlin-Clifton(?)

Power-Johnson

Samuelsson-Lybushkin

Stillman-Jokiharju

Hanifin to Buffalo seems unlikely to me. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not saying they would do this, but it's also possible Dahlin goes back to the left side.

Dahlin-Clifton(?)

Power-Johnson

Samuelsson-Lybushkin

Stillman-Jokiharju

I wouldn't since it puts a player out of his element on the Top pair and wastes Muel's talents

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Dahlin-Clifton(?)

Power-Johnson

Samuelsson-Lybushkin

Stillman-Jokiharju

I could see it. That in-depth article that did a deep dive on handedness I posted a link to the other day mentioned Dahlin’s metrics actually looked a bit better on the left (great both sides)

I don’t expect it necessarily but if Clifton outperforms Samuelsson I could see an increased likelihood 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Dahlin-Clifton(?)

Power-Johnson

Samuelsson-Lybushkin

Stillman-Jokiharju

Right now, there are a lot of possibilities.  But we know Dahlin and Samuelsson play very well together.  Clifton should complement Power's game very well.  So, personally am expecting those 2 pairings barring another D-man being brought in.  Which leaves 2 of Jokiharju/Lyubushkin/Johnson working the 3rd pairing.  With Stillman getting a great view of a lot of games from the pressbox.

But won't be shocked if they run your lines, but will be mildly surprised.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Right now, there are a lot of possibilities.  But we know Dahlin and Samuelsson play very well together.  Clifton should complement Power's game very well.  So, personally am expecting those 2 pairings barring another D-man being brought in.  Which leaves 2 of Jokiharju/Lyubushkin/Johnson working the 3rd pairing.  With Stillman getting a great view of a lot of games from the pressbox.

But won't be shocked if they run your lines, but will be mildly surprised.

I also think we will see a lot of Dahlin/Powers, Mule/Clifton depending on game situation, schedule, ice time.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.