Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

29 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Correct - after last season’s performance nobody is paying 1.85m to claim him. He’s destined for Rochester where he belongs and will play well. That’s the obvious move to get our nhl defense contracts to 8. They’ll do the same for Comrie and get the goalies to two. Comrie has a better chance of being claimed but still less than 50% I’d guess

To sell used cars? I just don't like the thought of him being in the organization in case he needs to be called up at some point. He brings hate to my heart (although he seems like a nice guy and I wish him well)

9 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

I dont think you can approach 40 mil on defense though.  What am I missing? Dahlin 10, Power 7, Noah prob 6, Sam 4.285, Clifton 3.33 that's 30.6 and we have about 12 allocated over the remaining 5.  The year after next , we'd have to pay 3 - say 2.5 average to have 8. So that's 38+ mil on defense.  

What you're missing (your phrase, not mine) is that only the next 3 are going to count towards that total spent on D and that one of them will be Ryan Johnson who will be on a cheap contract.  Those 3 additional contracts will likely come in at $6MM total (or less).  

Additionally, though Skinner makes $9MM, their 2 best C's will combine for just over $14MM.  The goaltending will either be cheap (Levi will earn less than $2MM even with hitting on his bonuses) or extremely cheap (should they be running UPL as his backup 1 season from now).

Further, the cap will make a fairly significant jump next year with another jump to follow that subsequent year.  They also are set for the next 2-3 years with the ability to bring 1-2 highly skilled rookies into the lineup on ELCs.

IF goaltending holds, this team is in a very sweet spot contract wise.  They'll be close to the cap (in a year, they're still clear of it this year) but they shouldn't have to be jumping through the same sort of hoops that Vegas and Tampa have been jumping through.

10 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

The year after next

I think some people simply can't imagine that far out into the future.  If we have cap space now we should spend it, future be damned!

4 hours ago, sweetlou said:

It just gives DG flexibility. As it stands now my d would be

Dahlin- Clifton

Power- Johnson

Mule- Joker

Trades and injuries will change this.

Muel in the third pairing?  wut.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd bet money you could waive Bryson and no one would claim him. 

I tend to agree, but I think Stillman would get snatched up.

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Zero chance this happens especially Johnson he's a Borderline. third Pairing defenseman 

Which Johnson are you referring to?  Veteran Erik or prospect Ryan?

38 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It didn't really cross my mind about the other johnson he's been in college 4 years he probably might be ready for the bottom 2.

So my answer is .

why-not-both-why-not.gif

I was hoping for a bit more on the back end.  Free agency or a trade...I really had my hopes on ONE player a bit better than what the Sabres got.  Maybe Johnson or Clifton will be a better fit on the Sabres and they will turn out to be good?  

Unless something else big is going to happen in the trade market, it looks like slight improvements to the back end plus the young guys getting one year better are the order for this season.  Might be good enough to get them into the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Yep stillman and Bush would be claimed most likely that’s why I think they stay in the active roster as 7/8 d. Joker I believe will be traded, if not he’s the #6. Jokers much better in a limited Role against lesser lines

Ryan Johnson is a wildcard for me. 22 years old, 4 years on one of the best teams in college. I don’t know how much AHL time he needs. He might be ready to step in by mid season if not the start of the year.

Muel Dahlin

Power Clifton

Johnson&Johnson

Stillman Boosh

Joker is packaged in a deal for a goalie upgrade. Bryson can go

• Agree 1

I think with Quinn injured we could see 8 defense on the roster and 7 playing for a little bit. I think Ryan Johnson goes to Rochester because he'll need the time and experience but by end of year he might be getting callups

If Samuelsson gets hurt, Johnson actually makes sense as his replacement. Eventually 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Ryan Johnson is a wildcard for me. 22 years old, 4 years on one of the best teams in college. I don’t know how much AHL time he needs. He might be ready to step in by mid season if not the start of the year.

Muel Dahlin

Power Clifton

Johnson&Johnson

Stillman Boosh

Joker is packaged in a deal for a goalie upgrade. Bryson can go

Yep big training camp for Johnson, savoie, rosen, rousek and maybe even Benson. I could be terribly wrong but wouldn’t be surprised if Benson is NHL ready before savoie.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

That's not what I'm saying I'm happy with the signing if it was just replace to replace the Joker

I'm hoping they have a trade for a proven top 4 

Joker was our 4 last year.  If you think Clifton replaces him then he becomes the 4.  No? 

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Joker was our 4 last year.  If you think Clifton replaces him then he becomes the 4.  No? 

Joker should be on the 3rd pairing with Johnson this year, to me the biggest question mark on D is Samuelsson, personally I'm not a big fan, never have been to be honest. 

Just now, Buffalonill said:

In reality Joker is on the 3rd Pairing 

In reality he should be on a 3rd pairing.  For Buffalo we has on the 2nd pair. 

Between newly added  E Johnson and Clifton, I think Clifton is more likely to crack the top 4.  

E  Johnson will be a 6/7 defender and play about 40-50 games unless injuries to other players force him into a bigger role (which is likely to happen a few times).  

1. Dahlin - Muel

2. Power - Clifton

3rd pair rotation and depth:  

Lyubushkin/Stillman - Joker/Johnson 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Joker should be on the 3rd pairing with Johnson this year, to me the biggest question mark on D is Samuelsson, personally I'm not a big fan, never have been to be honest. 

Joker and Johnson are both RHD so maybe not.  Depends on a lot of things and how the players mesh.   

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Joker and Johnson are both RHD so maybe not.  Depends on a lot of things and how the players mesh.   

There is the handedness issue again.

Dahlin is a great defenseman and has quite a bit of experience on his off side. He seemed to be fine.

Joki, EJ and Boosh may not be as good on their off side, meaning they could be a liability. Stillman may get extra games because he is LHD.

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

In reality he should be on a 3rd pairing.  For Buffalo we has on the 2nd pair. 

Between newly added  E Johnson and Clifton, I think Clifton is more likely to crack the top 4.  

E  Johnson will be a 6/7 defender and play about 40-50 games unless injuries to other players force him into a bigger role (which is likely to happen a few times).  

1. Dahlin - Muel

2. Power - Clifton

3rd pair rotation and depth:  

Lyubushkin/Stillman - Joker/Johnson 

Or.

1. Dahlin - Muel

2. Power -Hanifin 

3. Johnson- Clifton

That's playoff bond 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I think Benson, Savoie and Kulich are all on the Sabres next year. 

Maybe individually at some point in the season, but IMHO not all 3 to start the season. That's just too much new and unproven rookie learning curve to the start the season with. 

Never mind. Just saw your reply.

Edited by irregularly irregular

1 minute ago, irregularly irregular said:

Maybe individually at some point in the season, but IMHO not all 3 to start the season. That's just too much new and unproven rookie learning curve to the start the season with. 

Next year, as in 24-25. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.