Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Aren't all the rumors that Matthew doesn't want to leave?

But are they legit or are they more Loaf fan fiction?

"Well, of course he wants to stay.  It's DREAMY here.  And who DOESN'T like Hall and Oates?"

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

16 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Aren't all the rumors that Matthew doesn't want to leave?

I'm not really listening to anything out there, so I have no idea if that's the rumbling or not.  I just think with everything we've seen from him over the years, he doesn't look like someone who wants to stay there.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

But are they legit or are they more Loaf fan fiction?

"Well, of course he wants to stay.  It's DREAMY here.  And who DOESN'T like Hall and Oates?"

Probably a combination of both. If Matthews is smart he won't say anything unless he's committed to burning a bridge. And The Leaf Blowers couldn't imagine anyone wanting out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I'm not really listening to anything out there, so I have no idea if that's the rumbling or not.  I just think with everything we've seen from him over the years, he doesn't look like someone who wants to stay there.

I think he wants to be wherever he can make the most money. Maybe that's Toronto, maybe that's somewhere else. I usually discount the whole tax argument for the most part (I think players will go where they can win or personally succeed, even if that costs them an extra few %), but Matthews might be one of those guys that cares.

24 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I think he wants to be wherever he can make the most money. Maybe that's Toronto, maybe that's somewhere else. I usually discount the whole tax argument for the most part (I think players will go where they can win or personally succeed, even if that costs them an extra few %), but Matthews might be one of those guys that cares.

How much money do you think Matthews makes in advertising/spokesperson income in Toronto?

How much do you think he would make in Arizona?

Just now, Curt said:

How much money do you think Matthews makes in advertising/spokesperson income in Toronto?

How much do you think he would make in Arizona?

Sure, Arizona, but NYC, Philly, LA, or Chicago (just to randomly name cities) would be close.

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

Probably a combination of both. If Matthews is smart he won't say anything unless he's committed to burning a bridge. And The Leaf Blowers couldn't imagine anyone wanting out.

He’s got a poker face when discussing how much he loves Toronto imo. He doesn’t seem like the type who embraces being under the magnifying glass.

Plus someone with more cap space than Toronto could give him the max, with less tax.

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

He’s got a poker face when discussing how much he loves Toronto imo. He doesn’t seem like the type who embraces being under the magnifying glass.

Plus someone with more cap space than Toronto could give him the max, with less tax.

The max?  No one is paying him the salary maximum.

48 minutes ago, Curt said:

The max?  No one is paying him the salary maximum.

True.  But he'll get more than either McDavid's or MacKinnon's current deals.  Which will put him closer to that than any other player currently in the league.

17 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh except Darryl Hall's place is in Putnam county on rte 22 just north of Westchester

Actually it's in Pawling which is in Dutchess County. Daryl's Place is roughly a mile north of the county border with Putnam (I myself live in Brewster).

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Taro T said:

True.  But he'll get more than either McDavid's or MacKinnon's current deals.  Which will put him closer to that than any other player currently in the league.

Yeah, Matthews will probably sign for more than McDavid or MacKinnon but maybe less in terms of cap %.

Year from now cap will probably go up to like $88M maybe.  15% of that would be just over $13M.

I don’t really see how Matthews will get any significant raise from his previous contract in terms of cap %.  I think it’s nuts what the Leafs gave him on his current deal.

31 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Actually it's in Pawling which is in Dutchess County. Daryl's Place is roughly a mile north of the county border with Putnam (I myself live in Brewster).

Sorry you are right... keep forgetting where that line is... We pass it on the way to my wife's friends house... and have stopped in a few times to see music... we live in northern westchester near putnam line off 684... ps I still play hockey in Brewster...  do you play?

Edited by North Buffalo

40 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Sorry you are right... keep forgetting where that line is... We pass it on the way to my wife's friends house... and have stopped in a few times to see music... we live in northern westchester near putnam line off 684... ps I still play hockey in Brewster...  do you play?

No, don't have an athletic bone in my body. The Brewster Ice Arena is literally in the middle of nowhere but can lay claim to hosting the only "pro" team to ever play in Putnam: The FPHL's Brewster Bulldogs.

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest advantage that Matthews has in Toronto is endorsements, it’s reported that he makes about 3.5 million per season in these alone. 
Based on His Existing Salary, going to a team in a more tax friendly market would increase His Net Income by approximately 1.2 Million. I cannot imagine that the endorsement deals in Tampa, Vegas, Dallas or Seattle would be close to what he is making in TO, so his annual net income would probably close to the same amount. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/income-tax-calculator

Allowing Matthew’s NTC to kick in without an extension worked out was not a smart move 

12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The biggest advantage that Matthews has in Toronto is endorsements, it’s reported that he makes about 3.5 million per season in these alone. 
Based on His Existing Salary, going to a team in a more tax friendly market would increase His Net Income by approximately 1.2 Million. I cannot imagine that the endorsement deals in Tampa, Vegas, Dallas or Seattle would be close to what he is making in TO, so his annual net income would probably close to the same amount. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/income-tax-calculator

Allowing Matthew’s NTC to kick in without an extension worked out was not a smart move 

https://strategyonline.ca/2023/03/01/rbc-drafts-auston-matthews-for-big-vantage-campaign/

As someone who has sat through his commercials far too many times I can confirm this.😁

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, sabremike said:

No, don't have an athletic bone in my body. The Brewster Ice Arena is literally in the middle of nowhere but can lay claim to hosting the only "pro" team to ever play in Putnam: The FPHL's Brewster Bulldogs.

And they still have a junior team there... and Steve Santini, who I think is with the Blues organization now, his father and Uncle own the rink.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/21/2023 at 8:50 AM, Flashsabre said:

https://strategyonline.ca/2023/03/01/rbc-drafts-auston-matthews-for-big-vantage-campaign/

As someone who has sat through his commercials far too many times I can confirm this.😁

One more reason to hate RBC.  I already hate RBC.  This is just the icing on the hatred cake that brightly burns with passion.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ..
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Dunn led his team in ice time, was a team leading +28, and was second on his team in both total points and even strength points with 64(49). That is solid top pairing production, and seems like a reasonable deal at 7.35 per. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Dunn led his team in ice time, was a team leading +28, and was second on his team in both total points and even strength points with 64(49). That is solid top pairing production, and seems like a reasonable deal at 7.35 per. 

He did but I just don't think he's that good. I'd say 6.5 like Lindholm or 6.25 like Weegar was where I'd see him ending up as he's about equal to them at best.

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He did but I just don't think he's that good. I'd say 6.5 like Lindholm or 6.25 like Weegar was where I'd see him ending up as he's about equal to them at best.

At the time Lindholm signed, his career high was 34 points.  Weegar’s best was 44 points. Obviously there is more to value than just point production, but with the cap going up, I think that deal is pretty damn fair. 

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

At the time Lindholm signed, his career high was 34 points.  Weegar’s best was 44 points. Obviously there is more to value than just point production, but with the cap going up, I think that deal is pretty damn fair. 

Just curious, but would you have wanted him on the Sabres at that money and term?