Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

So Detroit didn't get good enough to really compete, and Ottawa got a little worse.  This is good for Sabres fans.  I will say that Detroit brought in DeBrincat for less than the expected (projected?) extension price of 9M per.  So Yzerman did do one thing right so far this summer.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Grelczyk got 17:14 a game, Clifton got 17:51

It was because of McAvoy’s Injury of course, but Clifton actually ranked 3rd on the Bruins in terms of total ice time last year, behind only Lindholm and Pastrnak.

Bruins rolled lines and rotated D so there's really not much difference and these stats don't tell you much. I've seen a lot of Bruins games and I know how Clifton was used and why. Rest easy, that's why I said we should sign him in free agency a long long time ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

So Detroit didn't get good enough to really compete, and Ottawa got a little worse.  This is good for Sabres fans.  I will say that Detroit brought in DeBrincat for less than the expected (projected?) extension price of 9M per.  So Yzerman did do one thing right so far this summer.

They're probably replacing him with vladimir tarasenko who I was Hoping buffalo would get 

8 hours ago, Derrico said:

I keep reading this but I don’t see that in the game logs based on time on ice.  I will be up front and admit I have no idea Boston’s depth chart but Clifton rarely played 20 minutes or more per game even long before Orlov came.

For reference Joker was our number 4 and he regularity played more than 20 minutes per game.  

Especially if Clifton can play on the PK as I’ve read on here, why was he rarely playing 20 minutes per game if he’s a second pairing penalty killer?

https://www.rotowire.com/hockey/player/connor-clifton-5684

Joker for reference https://www.rotowire.com/hockey/player/henri-jokiharju-5426

Boston used all 6 defenceman a lot more than the Sabres, who played their top 2 a ton and their bottom 2 sparingly.

Some of the disconnect goes to perception as to who/what your 3rd pair is, and to misperception about how often players actually play with their ”partner.”

For example, most people on here would probably say JJ Peterka was a 2nd liner for Buffalo last year and Casey Mittelstadt was a 3rd liner, when Casey was actually the Sabres 5th forward and JJ the 10th in terms of average ice time.

That’s probably because JJ played a lot with Cozens, who definitely was the 2C. But it ignores all those times when special teams or a shortened bench or line juggling meant that JJ wasn’t playing when Cozens was.

On a per game basis, Clifton ranked 4th among Bruins defencemen, not including Orlov. By the measure of total ES ice time, he was 2nd.

https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?report=timeonice&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20222023&seasonTo=20222023&gameType=2&playerPlayedFor=franchise.6&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evTimeOnIce&page=0&pageSize=50

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Boston used all 6 defenceman a lot more than the Sabres, who played their top 2 a ton and their bottom 2 sparingly.

Some of the disconnect goes to perception as to who/what your 3rd pair is, and to misperception about how often players actually play with their ”partner.”

For example, most people on here would probably say JJ Peterka was a 2nd liner for Buffalo last year and Casey Mittelstadt was a 3rd liner, when Casey was actually the Sabres 5th forward and JJ the 10th in terms of average ice time.

That’s probably because JJ played a lot with Cozens, who definitely was the 2C. But it ignores all those times when special teams or a shortened bench or line juggling meant that JJ wasn’t playing when Cozens was.

On a per game basis, Clifton ranked 4th among Bruins defencemen, not including Orlov. By the measure of total ES ice time, he was 2nd.

https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?report=timeonice&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20222023&seasonTo=20222023&gameType=2&playerPlayedFor=franchise.6&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evTimeOnIce&page=0&pageSize=50

It's why I keep saying he's Power's partner. I'd say Dahlin's but they like him on his offhand. Clifton is going to be leaned on, E Johnson is going to be the defense Okposo. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Who's the long beard for the goalie room? I hope it's not Comrie. 

I personally think Comrie will beat out UPL and the Sabres will finally move on from UPL. I think Comrie started last year well (he did) and then between the Def injuries and his own injuries the season got away from him. Devon Levi is highly motivated on his own, I think he already has pro level habits so I don't actually worry much about his ability to stay focused and deal with the in season adjustments. 

Edited by LGR4GM

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I personally think Comrie will beat out UPL and the Sabres will finally move on from UPL. I think Comrie started last year well (he did) and then between the Def injuries and his own injuries the season got away from him. Devon Levi is highly motivated on his own, I think he already has pro level habits so I don't actually worry much about his ability to stay focused and deal with the in season adjustments. 

Looking over his numbers since he was a junior, I don’t know that Devon Levi has ever had what I’d call a slump.

He’s had the odd off game and occasionally even sprinkled a few close together, but he has been incredibly resilient and consistent.

Fingers crossed that will carry over to the Sabres.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It's why I keep saying he's Power's partner. I'd say Dahlin's but they like him on his offhand. Clifton is going to be leaned on, E Johnson is going to be the defense Okposo. 

Without any other moves, he's absolutely getting the 1st chance to grab the 4 spot.  Even if a move gets made for Pesce or someone else of that reputation would expect that guy to get 1st look at replacing Samuelsson on the top pairing to see if the more talented guy could develop the same sort of chemistry with Dahlin as Muel has displayed.  And Muel Lyubushkin or Muel E. Johnson should be one of the best if not the best 3rd pairing shutdown D tandem in the league; and Muel Jokiharju would still be a respectable 2 way 3rd pairing (and one of the top 2 way 3rd pairings in the league).

42 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Without any other moves, he's absolutely getting the 1st chance to grab the 4 spot.  Even if a move gets made for Pesce or someone else of that reputation would expect that guy to get 1st look at replacing Samuelsson on the top pairing to see if the more talented guy could develop the same sort of chemistry with Dahlin as Muel has displayed.  And Muel Lyubushkin or Muel E. Johnson should be one of the best if not the best 3rd pairing shutdown D tandem in the league; and Muel Jokiharju would still be a respectable 2 way 3rd pairing (and one of the top 2 way 3rd pairings in the league).

What's really fun is that with Dahlin and Power as your 1 and 2... a lot easier to figure out who is the 3-6. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What's really fun is that with Dahlin and Power as your 1 and 2... a lot easier to figure out who is the 3-6. 

That’s really the key to this defence, having at least one of those 2 on the ice 40 minutes a night is going to be a huge advantage.

But I also think this summer Adams did to the defence what he did to the offence last summer: pushed the JAGs (Clague, Bryson, Stillman) out of the starting lineups. However they end up being used, Mule, Cliffy, Joker, EJ and Boosh are all legitimate NHL defencemen.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm just worried about the work load for Levi, if he plays more than 35-45 games this season think he might be over worked. That's why been harping to upgrade the other goalie in the room. 

“Frank Seravalli says he thinks we’re nearing a conclusion on the 2018 Hockey Canada investigation and teams are bracing for suspensions”

Some teams might be rocked by this. No idea which players were involved or not but a team like St Louis had Thomas and Kyrou on the team. That would be a huge blow for them if those players were involved. A Hart Trade might happen if he is cleared in the investigation.

Here is the roster. Clague was in the team: 

https://www.quanthockey.com/wjc-u20/en/teams/team-canada-players-2018-wjc-u20-stats.html

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

“Frank Seravalli says he thinks we’re nearing a conclusion on the 2018 Hockey Canada investigation and teams are bracing for suspensions”

Some teams might be rocked by this. No idea which players were involved or not but a team like St Louis had Thomas and Kyrou on the team. That would be a huge blow for them if those players were involved. A Hart Trade might happen if he is cleared in the investigation.

https://www.quanthockey.com/wjc-u20/en/teams/team-canada-players-2018-wjc-u20-stats.html

Not comfortable this is fact, but pretty sure I read Clague was not at the banquet or even in town that night.

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

They shouldn't be allowed back in the NHL 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I didn’t know where else to put this… And it certainly doesn’t deserve it’s own thread…

what the hell are the Toronto Marlies doing in Amherst New York on a Tuesday morning?

7006060B-0C6F-4079-AB98-9972C64E920C.jpeg

Do they have a youth team associated with the Marlies themselves?  The Amerks lend their name to a local youth hockey organization here in Ra-cha-cha.  

If they do, could be as simple as letting that team use it to go to a summer tournament seeing as how the Marlies aren't using the bus.  Saves them the cost of renting a bus and is likely a tax writeoff.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Do they have a youth team associated with the Marlies themselves?  The Amerks lend their name to a local youth hockey organization here in Ra-cha-cha.  

If they do, could be as simple as letting that team use it to go to a summer tournament seeing as how the Marlies aren't using the bus.  Saves them the cost of renting a bus and is likely a tax writeoff.  

Exactly.

Junior and University team busses are rolling through here in the summer, being used by soccer and baseball teams and others.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I went from liking carolina to absolutely hating them now

Hated the Whalers.  (Pat Verbeek's a pencil necked geek!)

Still dislike the way their fans got the vapors in '06 and then how Ol' Camelface was whining about Lindy Ruff when his team had just captured the Stanley Cup.

Welcome to the proper side.

#### those guys.

23 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Makar was on that team.  That would be huge if he were involved.  😞