A Top 4 Defenseman is Adams Top Priority per Lebrun

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I really think the Sabres need a true second pairing Dman to play with Power.  Joki might be an okay 2nd pair guy with another Dman but I'd rather see Power paired with a pure stay-at-home kinda guy, and Joki is more of a 2-way guy and joins the rush.

Most people agree with you that it would be advantageous to bring in another player to pair with Power. The issue then becomes who is available and what is the price? KA is very conscious of the contracts (price and term) that he brings in. So far, he hasn't found a good match yet. There's still more time to work out what he considers to be good value deals. We shall see. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

True but KA just doesnt seem like that kinda GM

I agree with your comment about the GM's conservative trait. As @Doohickie stated this GM is very deliberative, detailed and thoughtful before making decisions. He's not the type of GM searching for blockbuster deals that make a big splash. He's more inclined to steadily make incremental improvements than big roster moves. In my view, that is why he has been so successful. He's not looking for a short cut in the rebuild process. He has a blue-collar mentality where you chip away every day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with your comment about the GM's conservative trait. As @Doohickie stated this GM is very deliberative, detailed and thoughtful before making decisions. He's not the type of GM searching for blockbuster deals that make a big splash. He's more inclined to steadily make incremental improvements than big roster moves. In my view, that is why he has been so successful. He's not looking for a short cut in the rebuild process. He has a blue-collar mentality where you chip away every day.

Generally agree with him on this but it doesnt preclude him from getting creative with the process... just not using his current players and prospects... or even high picks... still use what he already knows he is moving on from... problem is and agree he doesnt appear to even want to do that.

I think KA has done a good job overall. But sometimes I think (fear) he sees it more important to get an average Dman at below average value than getting a legitimate top-4 Dman at slightly above value cost.  Getting that roster hole filled is so critical for the next few years that I wouldn't worry about a slight overpay to fill it.

On 6/27/2023 at 8:14 PM, RETURNTOGLORY said:

Would you make a play for Karlsson? 

I just looked up his salary:  $11.5 million AAV for four more years, at the end of which he will be 37.  That would wreck just about any team's salary structure.  I bet his complaint is that the Sharks aren't competitive.  OF COURSE NOT, and it's because of your salary, Erik!

Edited by Doohickie

On 6/29/2023 at 7:11 AM, JustOneParade said:

I think KA has done a good job overall. But sometimes I think (fear) he sees it more important to get an average Dman at below average value than getting a legitimate top-4 Dman at slightly above value cost.  Getting that roster hole filled is so critical for the next few years that I wouldn't worry about a slight overpay to fill it.

I think the plan is probably based more along cap lines. 

So in very rough numbers, the cap will be about 90 million in a few years. If your D gets what, a third? That's roughly 30 million. If you have two superstars in Dahlin and Power that's roughly 20 of that 30 leaving you 10ish for the other 4 D men. After Samuelsson there's not much money left there for this 4D and so paying a guy like Clifton 3 million plus is about as good as you can do. 

• Like (+1) 3

One thing I would note is that last year we had 1 player on defense over 25, we added 2 to our top 7 in the last little bit here. That's 3 guys who are a bit older in life, and in Erik's case, way more experienced in hockey than anyone else on the roster last season. Add to that Dahlin being what I would call a veteran now and the defensive core has really changed in a short period of time. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

One thing I would note is that last year we had 1 player on defense over 25, we added 2 to our top 7 in the last little bit here. That's 3 guys who are a bit older in life, and in Erik's case, way more experienced in hockey than anyone else on the roster last season. Add to that Dahlin being what I would call a veteran now and the defensive core has really changed in a short period of time. 

There is a lot of value in what Erik can bring. A lot like when Punch brought in Tim Horton.

I always remember back when Chuck Knox traded Bobby Chandler for Phil Vilipiano. It was really a terrible trade from a talent and game impact point of view but Phil brought a lot of leadership that couldn’t be quantified. Paying your 6/7 defenseman over $3M sounds crazy but I hope he has the same impact that some credit Phil V with.

• Like (+1) 5

Friedman was discussing Pesce being part of the return to San Jose for Karlsson, He mentioned that Pesce can block a trade to SJ. Interestingly he brought up the same point for Buffalo, I wonder if both teams were told no by Pesce’s Camp. 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman was discussing Pesce being part of the return to San Jose for Karlsson, He mentioned that Pesce can block a trade to SJ. Interestingly he brought up the same point for Buffalo, I wonder if both teams were told no by Pesce’s Camp. 

He has a ntc? Didn't know this 

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

Even if you don’t think he is going to be great in the role, I think it’s pretty definite that Clifton is the #4 defenseman to start the season.

I'm skeptical.  I want it to work but I will believe it when I see it.

42 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm skeptical.  I want it to work but I will believe it when I see it.

Yeah, I’m optimistic, but I kind of think he might be more of a 4/5 than a rock solid 2nd pair guy.  We’ll see how it goes.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brett-pesce

M-NTC  submits a list of 15 teams he would be willing to be traded to.

I would thunk Buffalo is a better choice than SJ or Nashville at this point. The one team no ones mentioned with regards to Pesce is Edmonton. They have the cap space, they have the need, they are in "all in now" mode.

Just now, Scottysabres said:

I would thunk Buffalo is a better choice than SJ or Nashville at this point. The one team no ones mentioned with regards to Pesce is Edmonton. They have the cap space, they have the need, they are in "all in now" mode.

We aren't trading for Pesce. We signed 2 rhd already. 

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

... what... what do we think a #4 looks like?

Lol, it’s been so long we don’t even know.

I know that Clifton was in the top 4 for stretches with Boston but he was also surrounded by a great defensive team.  I don’t see him as a high end 2nd pair guy, but I think he’ll play fine on a 2nd pair, especially if he is paired with Dahlin/Power.  I’m hopeful that the signing works out.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Lol, it’s been so long we don’t even know.

I know that Clifton was in the top 4 for stretches with Boston but he was also surrounded by a great defensive team.  I don’t see him as a high end 2nd pair guy, but I think he’ll play fine on a 2nd pair, especially if he is paired with Dahlin/Power.  I’m hopeful that the signing works out.

If accompanied by a nice looking goalie add (increasingly less likely), I think the signings on D look great. Without that, the signings to me look pretty good.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.