Power and Mittelstadt Extensions Next?

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Second Line Center said:

Would be all for a 2-3 year deal with Casey. 

3x10-12 mill sign me up.  He can cash in at his age 27 season.  

I think it would be after his age 28 season.  He has one year left on his current deal, then a 3 year extension after that.  Next year is his age 25 season, then 26, 27, 28 after that.

Edited by Curt

Best Mitts comparable might be the 4x4.4 Filip Chytil signed a few months back with the Rangers - similar age career numbers and utility

Id be happy to sign Casey to something in that range

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Because they have plenty of offensive talent in the pipeline, but are lacking a top 4 D to pair with Power. He’s been inconsistent over his career and there’s no guarantee he won’t revert again. So strike while his stock is high, and solidify the D. We saw how they struggled when Samuelsson was injured.

I'm not worried about the pipeline because I'm more concerned about having NHL players who are now ready to help this team be a serious team. It took some time for Mitts to mature and develop. Now that he has reached a level of being a contributor it wouldn't in my opinion be wise to send him elsewhere. Just because it took him some time to physically mature and develop doesn't mean that he is going to revert as player. As far as using him in a deal to improve the blueline unit, the Sabres have other assets to use to trade for upgrades. Maybe later it would be a better time to use him in a trade deal, but I wouldn't do it right now. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

They have a lot of potentially good players in the pipeline.  Mitts is a good player, and good at a lot of things, right now.

And we absolutely should be in win now mode……

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, French Collection said:

Once the talent in the pipeline is developed there may be a need to move Mitts due to cap issues, pressure from prospects or simply  having trade value for something the Sabres need.

His versatility (W or C, L1-3) is needed here. He also hasn’t hit his ceiling. Injuries have set him back a year in his development so he is just getting to the point where we can see what kind of player he is.

If JJP, Quinn, Krebs, Kulich, Savoie, Rosen, Östlund all come close to their ceilings there will be moves to be made.

I feel like Quinn and JJP are just about sure things and that that line of Quinn - Cozens - JJP is going to make a big jump next season. Maybe not at first, but eventually they’ll all be putting up points together.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

They have a lot of potentially good players in the pipeline.  Mitts is a good player, and good at a lot of things, right now.

Sorry, I don’t trust him to be consistent. He cant hold down a position at center and gets knocked off the puck too often on the wings. I trade him while he still has value.

45 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Sorry, I don’t trust him to be consistent. He cant hold down a position at center and gets knocked off the puck too often on the wings. I trade him while he still has value.

IDK - I thought he was showing a more "sturdy" game towards the end.  He may not become the next Zdeno Chara, but he has more tenacity then I expected.

5 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

IDK - I thought he was showing a more "sturdy" game towards the end.  He may not become the next Zdeno Chara, but he has more tenacity then I expected.

That’s because he was playing with Tuch and Skinner who could make any center look good. But when not he has trouble centering other wingers.

Not sure if I am in the minority here, but I would only give Power the same 3 year $6million bridge deal that Dahlin got.  After 1 season I am not signing him to an 7-8 year extension.  Yes people will say you can sign him to an $8 million contract long term now and lock him up.  I am looking at the overall structure of the team though.  If you bridge Power for 3 years, Skinner's contract will be off the books and you can afford to pay Power $9million after his bridge. 

I believe KA has done great on his contract signings so far, but this to me is a no brainer.

16 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Not sure if I am in the minority here, but I would only give Power the same 3 year $6million bridge deal that Dahlin got.  After 1 season I am not signing him to an 7-8 year extension.  Yes people will say you can sign him to an $8 million contract long term now and lock him up.  I am looking at the overall structure of the team though.  If you bridge Power for 3 years, Skinner's contract will be off the books and you can afford to pay Power $9million after his bridge. 

I believe KA has done great on his contract signings so far, but this to me is a no brainer.

Are we going to need the extra 2 mil in the next three years? I'd rather pay a little extra now vs paying more later when we will most likely need every penny. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

Best Mitts comparable might be the 4x4.4 Filip Chytil signed a few months back with the Rangers - similar age career numbers and utility

Id be happy to sign Casey to something in that range

Not happening.  Chytil received basically $100K per point from his best season (last year) when he scored 22g and added 23a for 45 points.  

Why would Mitts, who tailed 59 pts last year, sign for anything under 5.5?  

Both guys do have similar point totals for their careers (138 vs 139), but Mitts has accomplished the total in 50 fewer games (327 vs 277)

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

Would be all for a 2-3 year deal with Casey. 

3x10-12 mill sign me up.  He can cash in at his age 27 season.  

You are way too high on your average salary. I would go a little higher than the amount that @dudacek listed at 4x4.4. @GASabresIUFAN's numbers are very realistic. My guess is between $5 to 6 M per year on a three or four year contract. 

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are way too high on your average salary. I would go a little higher than the amount that @dudacek listed at 4x4.4. @GASabresIUFAN's numbers are very realistic. My guess is between $5 to 6 M per year on a three or four year contract. 

I think he was talking a total contract value of 10-12 over the 3 years.   

From Matthew Fairburn 

1. Owen Power’s contract situation is going to be a tricky one for the Sabres. Adams met with Power’s representatives at the NHL Scouting Combine this week to continue the dialogue on an extension, but Power’s next contract isn’t as straightforward as Rasmus Dahlin’s, which should come in around $10 million per season for eight years. Because Dahlin has a longer NHL track record and already signed a bridge contract, he’s established his worth and is ready to sign a long-term deal. Power has only played one NHL season but already looks like a future star. He’s a finalist for the Calder Trophy and logged huge minutes playing on Buffalo’s second pairing. The team trusted him with tough matchups, and he held up to the workload in his first full NHL season. The Sabres have enough conviction in the player to want to sign him to a long-term deal. Power, however, could go a few different directions. He could play out the season and boost his value even more. He could also sign a bridge contract for a shorter term and less money so that he can get another contract when the salary cap goes up in a few years. Even though Dahlin is the Sabres’ No. 1 defenseman, Power’s reps will still value him as a No. 1 defenseman because of the type of player he is. While Power stands to gain by being patient with his contract, it wouldn’t be easy to pass up a contract that pays him $8 million annually. With the cap potentially going up, that could end up as a bargain for the team if Power keeps improving.

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From Matthew Fairburn 

1. Owen Power’s contract situation is going to be a tricky one for the Sabres. Adams met with Power’s representatives at the NHL Scouting Combine this week to continue the dialogue on an extension, but Power’s next contract isn’t as straightforward as Rasmus Dahlin’s, which should come in around $10 million per season for eight years. Because Dahlin has a longer NHL track record and already signed a bridge contract, he’s established his worth and is ready to sign a long-term deal. Power has only played one NHL season but already looks like a future star. He’s a finalist for the Calder Trophy and logged huge minutes playing on Buffalo’s second pairing. The team trusted him with tough matchups, and he held up to the workload in his first full NHL season. The Sabres have enough conviction in the player to want to sign him to a long-term deal. Power, however, could go a few different directions. He could play out the season and boost his value even more. He could also sign a bridge contract for a shorter term and less money so that he can get another contract when the salary cap goes up in a few years. Even though Dahlin is the Sabres’ No. 1 defenseman, Power’s reps will still value him as a No. 1 defenseman because of the type of player he is. While Power stands to gain by being patient with his contract, it wouldn’t be easy to pass up a contract that pays him $8 million annually. With the cap potentially going up, that could end up as a bargain for the team if Power keeps improving.

That's what I figured, a 1 or 2 yr bridge deal following his ELC, which should be no issue with the Sabres. No matter what, Dahlin and Power stay is where my convictions lay.

On 6/9/2023 at 2:09 PM, pastajoe said:

Not a chance, he's turned into a solid Sabre - he stays, no question. They can pick up a defenceman a different way.

4 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

Not a chance, he's turned into a solid Sabre - he stays, no question. They can pick up a defenceman a different way.

He had half a good season, helped by playing with their top wingers when Tage was hurt. He’s never been able to secure a center spot. That’s hardly a solid record.

1 hour ago, Sabres73 said:

Seems like pretty much everyone else disagrees with you.

I respect Casey’s growth. I am in the trade him boat. His value is as high as it has ever been (and still an RFA year after next season).  

I don’t know what the average salary for 3C league-wide, but 5.5MM (a speculated number to sign him for a few years) might not be the best use of funds from a cap management perspective (for a 3C). I could be wrong.

But with the depth the Sabres have in the pipeline at the center position…I think he is a prime candidate to be moved to help acquire a top four D. 

13 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I respect Casey’s growth. I am in the trade him boat. His value is as high as it has ever been (and still an RFA year after next season).  

I don’t know what the average salary for 3C league-wide, but 5.5MM (a speculated number to sign him for a few years) might not be the best use of funds from a cap management perspective (for a 3C). I could be wrong.

But with the depth the Sabres have in the pipeline at the center position…I think he is a prime candidate to be moved to help acquire a top four D. 

The way Casey stepped in on the top line at the end of the season my question on moving him is this: is the talent in the pipeline capable of the same thing?

My view is, Casey has progressed to a point where he can seamlessly flow up and down the line up chart. That was vested time in him. A majority of the same group are due back this coming season, we are going for a playoff run. I'd rather they keep Casey, just my view is all.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

The way Casey stepped in on the top line at the end of the season my question on moving him is this: is the talent in the pipeline capable of the same thing?

My view is, Casey has progressed to a point where he can seamlessly flow up and down the line up chart. That was vested time in him. A majority of the same group are due back this coming season, we are going for a playoff run. I'd rather they keep Casey, just my view is all.

I think you ask an intelligent question out loud, which is can the current talent in the pipe cover for his attributes? To me, the answer is no, not today. But I think the horses are coming, and I don’t want to invest 5MM+ into 3C right now (acknowledging Casey’s versatility). I think Krebs has an equal ceiling (ducks), and I’ll take the trade value/cap savings of Mitts & bank on one of Krebs/Savoie/Kulich will effectively play the role of 3C soon. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.