The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: Second Round GDT.

Eleven

18 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

That is bad but there is WAY more to the story then just some crazy fans threatening a random ref. It goes all the way back to Keefe’s junior playing days and is really disturbing:

https://holrmagazine.com/wes-mccauley-and-sheldon-keefe/

Ya, I read some of that, still, 0 excuse to threaten a ref or a family member. And I mean 0.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Not sure why its so hard to understand. Each guy in the studio(there were 5)picked one player from each team. This happens on most broadcasts where they go to o.t.

I was just making a joke, lol. You know, pick two leafs because it's impossible the Florida will win.

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Ross Rhea said:

Getting swept out in the 2nd round is arguably worse than losing in the 1st round again. Hahahaha, eff Toronto!

Almost as bad as missing the playoffs for 10+ seasons, straight?

Though I do agree “***** TOR”, but really - We shouldn’t be gloating too much…

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Everyone said the same thing about the Leafs for years, and through a lot more wins than the Sabres have yet compiled

Let's take this thing one step at a time 

a lot more regular season wins sure, but they are only up by 1 in playoff series won and I don't think people said that about them for years.

Maybe Leafs should have stayed the course and built with draft picks and younger players.?.

They gave it 2 seasons, then decided to blow their wad on an aging John Taveres. Who they knew wouldnt be worth his contract 2 or 3 years into it.

How many Leaf draft picks in round 1 and 2 that are currently on their roster from the 2017 to 2022 drafts?   Matthew Knies and Timothy Liljegren.  And no, they aren't always drafting at the end of round 1

I sure bet they could use some younger / faster players available at the moment   D is already avg at best and here is their predicament

Starting D from last night

McCabe 30 in October

Brodie 33 in June

Rielly 29

Schenn  UFA

Giodano 40 in Oct

Holl UFA

Gustafsson UFA

-------

reserves:

Liijegren 24

Timmins 24

IR:

Muzzin  34

Mete 24

Cap Space going into 23/24    $7.5Million.....Good Luck to them

3 minutes ago, Kristian said:

Almost as bad as missing the playoffs for 10+ seasons, straight?

Though I do agree “***** TOR”, but really - We shouldn’t be gloating too much…

honestly, how much better off are Leaf fans over Sabres fans over the last 10+ Seasons?  

9 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

a lot more regular season wins sure, but they are only up by 1 in playoff series won and I don't think people said that about them for years.

Maybe Leafs should have stayed the course and built with draft picks and younger players.?.

They gave it 2 seasons, then decided to blow their wad on an aging John Taveres. Who they knew wouldnt be worth his contract 2 or 3 years into it.

How many Leaf draft picks in round 1 and 2 that are currently on their roster from the 2017 to 2022 drafts?   Matthew Knies and Timothy Liljegren.  And no, they aren't always drafting at the end of round 1

I sure bet they could use some younger / faster players available at the moment   D is already avg at best and here is their predicament

McCabe 30 in October

Brodie 33 in June

Rielly 29

Schenn  UFA

Giodano 40 in Oct

Holl UFA

Gustafsson UFA

-------

reserves:

Liijegren 24

Timmins 24

IR:

Muzzin  34

Mete 24

honestly, how much better off are Leaf fans over Sabres fans over the last 10+ Seasons?  

I was wondering about the Leafs D last night. How many of those guys are ‘home grown’? Did they simply trade for an entire D corps?

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

That is bad but there is WAY more to the story then just some crazy fans threatening a random ref. It goes all the way back to Keefe’s junior playing days and is really disturbing:

https://holrmagazine.com/wes-mccauley-and-sheldon-keefe/

I was aware of the Keefe, Frost issues but I didn’t know Wes McCauley was Frost’s brother in law.

30 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

I was wondering about the Leafs D last night. How many of those guys are ‘home grown’? Did they simply trade for an entire D corps?

Reilly and Liljegren...everyone else acquired.

remember when they drafted Sandin and Dermott?   Sandin traded away this season for a UFA in Gustafsson  and Dermott for a 3rd round pick

This is why I am hesitant for the Sabres to trade away their 1st round pick #13. That player should be hugely valuable in 2 or 3 years , playing on an Entry Level Contract.

Wait until you truly are one of the top 4 or 5 teams in the league before selling off picks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I was aware of the Keefe, Frost issues but I didn’t know Wes McCauley was Frost’s brother in law.

And of course Frost has succeeded in separating his wife from the rest of her family, as well.  The dude has some serious Svengali powers and is possibly the most evil person in North America.

52 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Reilly and Liljegren

Rielly.  He can't spell his own name correctly.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

There's only one game tonight AGAIN?!  This league is so committed to being second-rate.

Don't think of it that way, think of it as more time for Lake Ontario to flood with Leaf-tears.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Different trade.  But just you wait until  Stiven Sardarian hits.

You can look it up.  I hated that trade.  You can look up the Hall trade.  I hated that trade.

Do NOT trade established NHL players for anything less than a first-round pick.  EVER.  If their contracts are expiring, let the rest of the league fight.  Let them know that you're not the patsy at the poker table.  This should be Axiomatic for NHL GMs. 

Before you FITE me (I am learning the Internet lingo):  Gaustad.  Great example of holding on for the right offer.

There is better value in not being a patsy than there is in a third round pick.

Edited by Eleven
  • Eyeroll 1

18 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Love it that the Leafs are about to get knocked out. They continue to trade picks for older players trying to make it work. It won’t. Adams is building this Sabres team how you should build a team. 

They are in the final 8. That’s “working”

- - -

On a separate note:

I hope once the Sabres make the playoffs, I never let myself forget how much I wanted merely that, and the long road we all took in waiting for it. If I sound like Leafs fans do, today, even after finally getting the series win they’ve been craving for so long: just fecking shoot me 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Tons better off. Tons. 

Saying, “oh well they only have 1 more series win than the Sabres” is a drastic over simplification. Our seasons have been *OVER IN JANUARY* for basically a decade.

We aren’t the same 

It’s about the journey. They’ve had seasons full of great moments and clunker endings. We’ve had nothing. No moments. Wasted years.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

McCabe 30 in October

Brodie 33 in June

Rielly 29

Schenn  UFA

Giodano 40 in Oct

Holl UFA

Gustafsson UFA

-------

reserves:

Liijegren 24

Timmins 24

IR:

Muzzin  34

Mete 24

Unless you win the Cup nothing else matters. The closer you get the more painful the loss.

Four Super Bowls taught me that. Also "No Goal".

• Disagree 1

54 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Tons better off. Tons. 

Saying, “oh well they only have 1 more series win than the Sabres” is a drastic over simplification. Our seasons have been *OVER IN JANUARY* for basically a decade.

We aren’t the same 

It’s about the journey. They’ve had seasons full of great moments and clunker endings. We’ve had nothing. No moments. Wasted years.

Eh… I can’t fully agree with you due to the general results. It truly comes down to what makes one happy or entertained. Sure the Leafs have had multiple playoff berths in the past 11 years; but their team has without fail, found new embarrassing ways to end their seasons. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup or “die” trying. The Sabres this year can truly feel successful because they went down fighting tooth and nail with the youngest roster in the league.

The Sabres and Leafs have a combined 1 series win since 2008. We have also more recently made the Conference Finals and Cup Finals than the Leafs. 

I guess the biggest difference is our pre-season hype is never anywhere near where Toronto has been and we haven’t choked playoff runs away since we haven’t even made it that far. 

I guess it comes down to, is it better to have an A+ expectation with a B- result or a C expectation with a C- result? 

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Eh… I can’t fully agree with you due to the general results. It truly comes down to what makes one happy or entertained. Sure the Leafs have had multiple playoff berths in the past 11 years; but their team has without fail, found new embarrassing ways to end their seasons. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup or “die” trying. The Sabres this year can truly feel successful because they went down fighting tooth and nail with the youngest roster in the league.

The Sabres and Leafs have a combined 1 series win since 2008. We have also more recently made the Conference Finals and Cup Finals than the Leafs. 

I guess the biggest difference is our pre-season hype is never anywhere near where Toronto has been and we haven’t choked playoff runs away since we haven’t even made it that far. 

I guess it comes down to, is it better to have an A+ expectation with a B- result or a C expectation with a C- result? 

It’s better to not sit at the bottom of the standings for a decade. They’ve “found embarrassing ways to lose” after a bunch of good. We just embarrassingly lost, all year, nearly every year

- - - 

This is the same ridiculous logic that holds losing in the Super Bowl against Tom Brady or losing in the final against LeBron. Montana’s 4-0 somehow held by some in higher esteem. Why? Because he lost *earlier in the playoffs*? Rather than making it to the final? It’s so hilariously absurd. 

- - -

Yes, having really good regular seasons is more fun and more enjoyable than totalling sucking. That this is absolutely a *hot take* on this board is something I’ll gladly wear.

If the only thing that made it all worth it, was winning the cup one day, I’d absolutely not be watching. Logically foolish considering the likelihood it never happens 

Edited by Thorny

The disappointment their fans feel is simply *reflective* of all the good they experienced all season: that’s exactly WHY it hurts so much. Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all. 

We’ve been apathetic to results come January for a decade. That’s bad. 

21 hours ago, pastajoe said:

It would be nice if Samsonov was out for the week and they had to call up Kallgren from the Marlies, which would help the Amerks.

You'd need to hope for another Loaf goalie getting injured.  Matt Murray is on TO's playoff roster.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.