Pittsburgh fires GM Hextall and POHO Burke

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Pittsburgh fires GM Hextall and POHO Burke

I don't mind Burke as some level of hockey involved person... but has he done anything for a hockey team's management group lately?

The shake-up in Pittsburgh will be significant.

I'm just waiting for someone here to suggest the Sabres sign Mike Sullivan when he become available... you know it's coming.

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'd prefer Hextall stay in the east so as to diminish the playoff competition that the Sabres face.

Disagree.  Hextall is actually pretty decent at this GMing thing IMHO.  Filly's been flat out horrible since he left.

And, it's tough to argue against trying to keep the window with Crosby, Malkin, and Letang open as long as he could do so.  Can't see any of them in other uniforms and the cupboard has been barren since long before Hextall showed up.

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Rumor out of Toronto is that FSG will go full court press to hire Kyle Dubas if he leaves the Leafs

FSG is Fenway Sports Group owners of the Pens 

Will be sad to see Dubas leave the Loafs.  Would be fine with him moving to Pittsburgh.

THAT's the guy that needs to stay in conference.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Missing the playoffs is unacceptable.

This has nothing to do with the playoffs. Hextall was a dead GM walking for the new ownership. National pundits have been hearing this rumor for months. It was just a question of how quickly after the season ended did they can him. He was not going to be allowed to lead the team in the draft or new/next direction.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

From Mario to Jagr to Malkin to Crosby. Pens have been blessed with special players for a long time. They can suffer through lean years now. No franchise players for them for a while.

All they had to do was keep Crosby, let Letang and Malkin go to UFA, and save cash. Trade off everyone (Jarry, I guess) as a rental during the season and weave their Penguin-waddling magic for Bedard. Then, re-sign Letang and Malkin and Rust who would've all suspiciously signed one-year deals this season... and boom, igloo reassembled.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Disagree.  Hextall is actually pretty decent at this GMing thing IMHO.  Filly's been flat out horrible since he left.

And, it's tough to argue against trying to keep the window with Crosby, Malkin, and Letang open as long as he could do so.  Can't see any of them in other uniforms and the cupboard has been barren since long before Hextall showed up.

Huh. I think maybe I thought that Hextall was the bozo who gave up a 1st for Ristolainen (sp?). Not so, it turns out.

He gave out that big contract to JvR, right? I'll laugh at him for that.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.