GDT: Rangers at Sabres-03-31 7:00PM Levi debuts

MattPie

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Don't count out Levi making the Sabre roster when training camp is concluded. He possesses maturity traits that indicate him being able to handle the jump up. Last night was an indication of that. The season is winding down. If he plays as he did against the Rangers in his upcoming games, it will increase the odds that he makes the roster when the season starts. It's a very credible claim right now to say that he is our best goalie. 

Sure, he could beat out UPL and Comrie.  But is that better than him playing 25-30 games in AHL, polishing his game, and then coming  up mid season?    He is still very young and he is going to eventually have a few rough patches.  

The euphoria around his debut is nice, and fun, but it’s one game.  

Makes you wonder how different this season may have gone if he signed last year.

I don't think Roch is going to help him much.   He needs to be challenged at the highest level.

The way he moves, doing the splits etc, reminds me of Jonathan Quick who is similar stature and athleticism. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

47 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sure, he could beat out UPL and Comrie.  But is that better than him playing 25-30 games in AHL, polishing his game, and then coming  up mid season?

If he beats out UPL and Comrie, yes, it would be better for him to be with the Sabres than with the Amerks.  If he's better than those two, what's the point of putting him in Rochester?  He will get just as much game action in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If he beats out UPL and Comrie, yes, it would be better for him to be with the Sabres than with the Amerks.  If he's better than those two, what's the point of putting him in Rochester?  He will get just as much game action in Buffalo.

He is already better than UPL and Comrie.   You can see that right now.  Can or should he jump to the NHL as a 1?  Is that the right course?   

Now if they bring in another capable goalie maybe they go 1A/1B for awhile.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He is already better than UPL and Comrie.   You can see that right now.  Can or should he jump to the NHL as a 1?  Is that the right course?   

Now if they bring in another capable goalie maybe they go 1A/1B for awhile.  

I never have understood treating a player, in any sport, who is ready to go, with kid gloves, with the *possible* exception of having a rookie quarterback sit and watch for half a season.  If he's ready, he's ready.  If he's not, Rochester is there.  And if he starts and struggles, they can send him down--he doesn't seem fragile upstairs.

Would I mind if he were in a tandem (hopefully w/ someone better)?  Absolutely not.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I also think he's already the most talented. He'll need to adapt from the 2 weekend games each week to the professional grind of 3-4 games each week and occasional 4 games in 6 days where he's only got 1 game off and there's travel between each game. That's where half a season in the AHL can help him.

The other part of starting in the NHL next season is Comrie is under contract and UPL will be subject to waivers (5th season since signing his ELC). Neither is going to return much in a trade, but UPL wouldn't pass through waivers as there are plenty of teams who could take a flyer on a backup and move their own waiver-eligible guy down. Just letting UPL go is poor asset management. But then there is the issue of... who is helping the Amerks and the flood of talented youngsters? We don't want it to just be Houser or Subban --- which is why an overager draft pick in the later rounds might not be a bad idea (Seattle T-Birds' Thomas Milic could be a direct-to-AHL type).

• Like (+1) 1

Next year's roster is a long way away.  Let's get him a reasonably good look for the rest of this year.

I have to say you don't go back-to-back with him tonight.  Let me have the road game in Florida and see how he handles playing against his drafting team.

Evaluate where he is after that.  Treat him like any other goalie in this situation.  If he's hot you play him until the playoff spots are decided.  Then you play him for the experience after that.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I also think he's already the most talented. He'll need to adapt from the 2 weekend games each week to the professional grind of 3-4 games each week and occasional 4 games in 6 days where he's only got 1 game off and there's travel between each game. That's where half a season in the AHL can help him.

The other part of starting in the NHL next season is Comrie is under contract and UPL will be subject to waivers (5th season since signing his ELC). Neither is going to return much in a trade, but UPL wouldn't pass through waivers as there are plenty of teams who could take a flyer on a backup and move their own waiver-eligible guy down. Just letting UPL go is poor asset management. But then there is the issue of... who is helping the Amerks and the flood of talented youngsters? We don't want it to just be Houser or Subban --- which is why an overager draft pick in the later rounds might not be a bad idea (Seattle T-Birds' Thomas Milic could be a direct-to-AHL type).

I am not giving Levi the net but there is a chance he could be good enough to split NHL starts next year.
Comrie is still auditioning for a role next year. He is under contract and will probably remain in Buffalo. He could be all right as part of a tandem. He could play well and be traded for an upgrade.

UPL is the interesting case, he might get sent down and claimed. They cannot have a three headed goalie rotation next season. He could also be traded for an upgrade or draft pick.
You can’t go UPL/Comrie if Levi is better than both just because Levi is waiver exempt.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

Next year's roster is a long way away.  Let's get him a reasonably good look for the rest of this year.

I have to say you don't go back-to-back with him tonight.  Let me have the road game in Florida and see how he handles playing against his drafting team.

Evaluate where he is after that.  Treat him like any other goalie in this situation.  If he's hot you play him until the playoff spots are decided.  Then you play him for the experience after that.

Agreed on going with the folks the team rallies on. With up to 4 (Anderson currently day-to-day), I'd set up something like this to keep everyone involved (but emphasize the future and the vibes).

4/1 @PHI Comrie/UPL
4/4 @FLA Levi/Comrie  (the future and let Levi have a pressure-packed attack against a team trying to stay alive & that let him go)
4/6 @DET UPL/Comrie  (Get UPL a start)
4/8 CAR Comrie/Levi  (Go veteran against the Canes, let Levi try his hand as backup)
4/10 @NYR Levi/Anderson   (Levi gets to see professional adjustments, how does he fare on the road against a team that just saw him?, get Anderson be on the bench for guidance)
4/11 @NJD Comrie/UPL   (back-to-back, swap goalies)
4/13 OTT Anderson/UPL (home crowd send off against his old team)
4/14 @CLB Levi/UPL (a potential future)

And of course, if Levi remains undefeated and stays hot, then he also gets starts on 4/8 and 4/11. But then you might as well send UPL down for some games to round out his season.

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Agreed on going with the folks the team rallies on. With up to 4 (Anderson currently day-to-day), I'd set up something like this to keep everyone involved (but emphasize the future and the vibes).

4/1 @PHI Comrie/UPL
4/4 @FLA Levi/Comrie  (the future and let Levi have a pressure-packed attack against a team trying to stay alive & that let him go)
4/8 CAR Comrie/Levi  (Go veteran against the Canes, let Levi try his hand as backup)
4/10 @NYR Levi/Anderson   (Levi gets to see professional adjustments, how does he fare on the road against a team that just saw him?, get Anderson be on the bench for guidance)

And of course, if Levi remains undefeated and stays hot, then he also gets starts on 4/8 and 4/11. But then you might as well send UPL down for some games to round out his season.

If Levi and Comrie play well, UPL and Anderson can stay in the press box. Gotta keep the rhythm going.

If they are mathematically still in it, I would not even dress UPL.

Anderson gets the Ottawa game if they are out of it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, French Collection said:

If Levi and Comrie play well, UPL and Anderson can stay in the press box. Gotta keep the rhythm going.

Agree.  By the end of the Florida game the Sabres will know how the Penguins played against Boston (today) and the Flyers and Devils.  Sabres will have 6 games left and Penguins 4.  Wait until that is over with to decide who is goaltending and what to do with Levi.

In the meantime, Bales and Anderson need to discuss what best mentor role Craig can play before he is gone.

25 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I did preseason prognosticate that Levi and Portillo would combine to go 6-0 with 2 shutouts...  so now that's all on Levi. And if he plays like he did last night, then yes -- UPL and Anderson won't see the ice again (though Anderson at least dresses as the backup in the final home game). But then I've got to send UPL down ASAP to get him some work. No prospect should stagnate, even in a playoff race. That said... the playoff race is basically the Sabres need to go 7-1 and hope that both PIT and FLA fall apart against teams that either a) are just trying to stay healthy for the playoffs or b) may want to play spoiler for a night each week, but are otherwise scratching tees in the grooves of their golf clubs.

58 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I never have understood treating a player, in any sport, who is ready to go, with kid gloves, with the *possible* exception of having a rookie quarterback sit and watch for half a season.  If he's ready, he's ready.  If he's not, Rochester is there.  And if he starts and struggles, they can send him down--he doesn't seem fragile upstairs.

Would I mind if he were in a tandem (hopefully w/ someone better)?  Absolutely not.

Wow.   

One game does not show us he is ready to be a #1 and play 55 games.     Maybe he plays 6 of the next 8 and maintains the level he played at yesterday?  That would help clarify the conversation on whether we add a goalie. 

43 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

4/1 @PHI Comrie/UPL

Not bad, but I would like to see Levi play a bit more. 

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Which was my point. 

I've seen that happen a lot and generally there is a whistle to stop play once the refs lose sight of the puck.  My point being I wouldn't fault the other 2 goalies for that happening.

A few thoughts on Levi and the G situation generally:

- as others have said, the top 2 spots should be Levi’s and Comrie’s to lose.

- Even so, each of the 4 goalies is probably aware that if his next outing is lousy, he’s likely not getting another shot this year.

- If Levi and Comrie both play well down the stretch it becomes pretty hard to see them bringing in another goalie this summer.

- If Comrie starts tonight and doesn’t bring it, I’d expect to see Levi in the next game and then UPL.  

Also — that Skinner OT winner is on his Sabres highlight reel IMHO.  After pushing the action all night, he bursts through 2 defenders in the circle, takes possession cleanly with his skate, kicks it perfectly to his tape and then immediately beats the goalie top shelf to win Levi’s debut?

Freaking awesome. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Thomas Suchanek

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

you nailed the logic - unless he struggles badly in the last 5 games he plays in this year he will never play in a game in Rochester

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Also — that Skinner OT winner is on his Sabres highlight reel IMHO.  After pushing the action all night, he bursts through 2 defenders in the circle, takes possession cleanly with his skate, kicks it perfectly to his tape and then immediately beats the goalie top shelf to win Levi’s debut?

Freaking awesome. 

Skinner was absolutely fantastic last night.

It's weird. The 1st line clearly misses some chemistry with Tage out; they just don't click as well.

But individually all 3 members were buzzing.

29 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

A few thoughts on Levi and the G situation generally:

- as others have said, the top 2 spots should be Levi’s and Comrie’s to lose.

- Even so, each of the 4 goalies is probably aware that if his next outing is lousy, he’s likely not getting another shot this year.

- If Levi and Comrie both play well down the stretch it becomes pretty hard to see them bringing in another goalie this summer.

- If Comrie starts tonight and doesn’t bring it, I’d expect to see Levi in the next game and then UPL.  

I’m assuming we will run a 3 headed monster next season.  Regardless of how good Levi turns out to be, I am reluctant to believe he’d be ready for 40ish games next season.  

It will be Comrie, UPL, Levi in a rotation of some sort

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.