Sabres are having their Pride Night on Monday

Eleven

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I support Looby on this.  No one knows what it’s really like in Russia right now.  His family is there. 

What stinks is he won’t participate in warm ups.  Warming up before participating in a sport is important.  

Someone responded to the tweet calling him a coward.  Would love to see the keyboard warrior have that conversation with him directly.  

Why are other Russian players okay with it?

My opinion is he's using this Russia law as an excuse, and I don't support him. It's pretty awful actually.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • dislike 5

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Chicago has 1 russian on the team. They canceled because they are chicken shits and then they lied about why. 

I believe any special night is not required by the league so they can have or not have any. Maybe they would rather take the heat as the organization than put it   all put on one player. 

maybe to prevent something like this from happening again they should just not have any special games. No military appreciation, no pride, no heroes, no kids day… just play hockey

Edited by Sidc3000

18 minutes ago, #freejame said:

As far as the Staal brothers are concerned, I heard the larger issue was the jerseys were woven from multiple materials and that explicitly forbidden in the Bible. Easiest way to solve this is to put Pride nights on Sunday and all the Christians can sit out as they usually do on the Sabbath. 

Good Game Batman GIF by Gaming GIFs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sabres Twitter made me consider the possibility that Tage isn't returning from his day-to-day UBI because he (1) didn't want to participate in the Pride-themed warmup (for reasons like those of James Reimer) and (2) didn't want to deal with the fallout from declining to participate.

I hate the internet sometimes.

That was Melissa Burgess of Die by the Blade, no?  And I think she deleted the tweet.  It's still insipid.

4 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

My opinion is he's using this Russia law as an excuse, and I don't support him. It's pretty awful actually.

A lot of Russian players aren't.  Some have cited fear.  Let's not forget that Artemi Panarin had to go into hiding this season because he criticized Putin.  It's a different world over there.  Good on Bobrovsky and Panarin for wearing the sweaters, but we can't know the family circumstances of every Russian player.  Lybushkin lives in Russia and has family there; I don't know about the other guys.

Lots of Russian players had no problem flying, either, but Mogilny was in fear for his life.

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Chicago has 1 russian on the team. They canceled because they are chicken shits and then they lied about why. 

Ok, let's work with "chicken shits" for a moment.  What in the world would they have been afraid of?  The city has a lesbian mayor, for crying out loud.  I think it's more likely that the owner doesn't support the cause, or even that the team showed solidarity with one player.  I don't see fear as a potential motivation.

20 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

I have ZERO issues with it.  Doesn't change my view of him either way. Can't walk in his shoes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Night Train said:

I have ZERO issues with it.  Doesn't change my view of him either way. Can't walk in his shoes. 

Skates.  Hockey players wear skates.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

Is she on Twitter as seltzer mom, or some such formulation?

No, as Melissa Burgess, but some seltzer mom may have retweeted her.  I think my sister is secretly a seltzer mom.

23 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

3) so the Staals have to ignore their religious beliefs but they HAVE TO RESPECT other people’s beliefs. So one’s persons beliefs are greater than someone else’s… Got it 👍

I think it's more that they pick and choose which part of the bible are important to not ignore. For that matter, I think they trim their forelocks and beards too!

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+19%3A27&version=ESV

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Why?   I don't know why.   Maybe the other Russian players might not ever go back to Russia, or maybe they just might like snubbing Putin?  You will have to write them and ask them for yourself.  

Fine, you don't have to support Lybushkin either.   You sure seem to know a lot about the inner thoughts of Ilya Lyubushkin to come up with that opinion.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No, as Melissa Burgess, but some seltzer mom may have retweeted her.  I think my sister is secretly a seltzer mom.

I think seltzermom contributes to Die By the Blade. seltzermom is a terrific Sabres Twitter resource - very much on the pulse. 

And then - out of the blue - she will post something like this and (1) I feel super old and (2) I'm left wondering why she'd be surprised that there are horny people out there.

Let players do what they want, this will offended some people, and that's OK.   

What offends me is that players like Lybushkin have to actually sit out warmups, rather than wear their normal jersey.... at least give them an optional jersey to wear, maybe one in support of peace in their homeland or something positive.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, pi2000 said:

What offends me is that players like Lybushkin have to actually sit out warmups, rather than wear their normal jersey.... at least give them an optional jersey to wear, maybe one in support of peace in their homeland or something positive.

You can blame that squarely on the Russian government instead of deflecting responsibility to the Sabres.

• Thanks (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Peace in their homeland might get them into more trouble.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't.  It's easy for those of us in countries with safeguards for free speech to criticize, because we don't know what it's like over there.  But people have been punished for supporting gay rights in Russia (the band ***** Riot is one notable example) and for criticizing the Putin administration.  

Agreed. Look at Britany Griner. You can buy those vape pens in any corner store. Over there she goes to jail.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

The jerseys aren’t sold for retail. They are actioned for charity. 

Malkin has participated in every pride event held by the penguins since coming into the league. Some Russians are more inclined to thumb their nose. 

As far as the Staal brothers are concerned, I heard the larger issue was the jerseys were woven from multiple materials and that explicitly forbidden in the Bible. Easiest way to solve this is to put Pride nights on Sunday and all the Christians can sit out as they usually do on the Sabbath. 

The "game worn" ones are auctioned.  For at least some of the special nights, you can buy either proweight or replica versions.  Bought a nice special night sweater for the significant other recently.  So, at least some are sold for retail.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You can blame that squarely on the Russian government instead of deflecting responsibility to the Sabres.

Correct.   I blame Russia for their ***** policies.

That said, it's an opportunity for the league/Sabres.   Give the Russian players the option to wear a normal jersey or wear a jersey promoting peace for Russia or some other noble cause that won't put their families at risk or oppose their religious beliefs.. no matter how archaic those beliefs may be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

I think he is well liked by his teammates, non issue.

I am glad I live in a country that won’t threaten my family for something like this.

I wouldn’t take it for granted given the direction Florida is going.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Sabres73 said:

I’m sure this is a statement you can only make if you have relatives living in Russia. I don’t agree with him, but I have no problem if he has concerns family members may mysteriously fall out of windows. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

As a former coach, I would not like a player missing warmups by design and because of the jersey situation.   

I guess he can ride the stationary bike and stretch for his warm ups.  

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

As a former coach, I would not like a player missing warmups by design and because of the jersey situation.   

I guess he can ride the stationary bike and stretch for his warm ups.  

But how will he simulate spinning the puck rapidly in place by rolling his wrists in a way that will never be replicated in an NHL game?

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

But how will he simulate spinning the puck rapidly in place by rolling his wrists in a way that will never be replicated in an NHL game?

True.  But at a minimum he just needs to get a sweat going and stretch to be ready.