Sabres are having their Pride Night on Monday

Eleven

When it stirs issues, then it seems so forced and insincere.

I know it's a PC world these days but sports is an escape from politics. I have zero issues with it myself, belonging to a UCC church that likes everything that moves without predjudice. Yet I can't act surprised when someone objects to wearing the jersey. 

Edited by Night Train
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The only thing that seems different this year is we have a Russian player on the Sabres.  Pride stuff is banned by their government so when they go back they could be faced with problems.  

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said in the last day or two that the NHL has "no information that would suggest there is any material threat that would exist related to a Russian player participating in a club's Pride activities".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

What's the goal of Pride Night?

Acceptance, compassion, just being good corporate neighbors. That’s me spitballing, I don’t do well in this arena, but on this subject, I think I get some of it.

Edited by BUFtoNCfan

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

Moreover, there's a certain amount of luxury involved in deciding not to wear the employer's designated uniform for the task of warming up.

If they were clerks at Walgreens making $12 an hour, they're probably wearing what Walgreens tells them to wear.

Athletes signed to long term multi-million dollar contracts possess slightly more leverage than do lesser paid associates working within a large corporation.

I really wish social and cultural debates would not occur on a professional sports team message board, but this is 2023 and understand it will invariably happen.  

Edited by SabresVet

28 minutes ago, French Collection said:

It seems like the media is making more out of this than the fans.

Agreed. Then they take it one step further with public shaming towards anyone that doesn't conform. Why report when you can Op/Ed from the pulpit. 

Yeah...that just screams sports.  Sigh... 

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Athletes signed to long term multi-million dollar contracts possess slightly more leverage than do lesser paid associates working within a large corporation.

That was my point.

What's the goal of Pride Night?

If nothing else, perhaps it’s just to let a marginalized community know they are welcomed, without judgement, without fear. I don’t think that’s a small thing in a world where in some countries these people can be jailed or put to death simply for being who they are.

Or in our own country where 47% of those polled are in favor of a theocratic government (let that marinate a bit) and there are states proposing or passing laws to stigmatize and marginalize them in schools and other venues. How about banning books, punishing discussion, or not even letting them exhibit pictures of their partners on their desks at work? 

I wonder what comes next in these states. Will they be forced to wear rainbow colored stars everywhere they go? Will they be rounded up and made to live only in certain places? 

I’m sure many here will scoff at my post and see that as an overreaction to the issue. Fine. But history always repeats itself when we don’t take a stand and let it be known that this kind of hatred cannot be tolerated in a free society. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Because other folks aren't able to access the Pentagon's PR budget. 

What?   This is a terrible take.

Military, police, firefighters, first responders.  They are all hard jobs, extremely necessary, and unfortunately they receive a relatively low pay.  What is wrong with recognition for these folks?  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

Why is there a need for sports teams to be involved with peoples sexual preferences? Keep politics out of the sport!!! Just play hockey!

This is the first mention of politics in this thread.  Please keep it out.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

What?   This is a terrible take.

Military, police, firefighters, first responders.  They are all hard jobs, extremely necessary, and unfortunately they receive a relatively low pay.  What is wrong with recognition for these folks?  

That's not what I'm saying. 

The military spends a ton of money to promote these things, which is why they happen more or less constantly.  Others... not so much.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sabel79 said:

That's not what I'm saying. 

The military spends a ton of money to promote these things, which is why they happen more or less constantly.  Others... not so much.  

Oh, thanks for clarifying.  In my world, they shouldn’t have too.  Recognition of their work should happen without government promotion.  

I know that there are other opinions, some people do not even want to play the national anthem before games, I am getting to be a minority in this area.   

Military appreciation should include not only a living hero but also someone who gave their life.

Pride night is fine, but there's a fine line between demonstrating tolerance/inclusivity and actually promoting that lifestyle. 

IMO each individual player should be allowed to choose what they want to wear for warmups each game... instead of having these forced theme based events.

If we're going to promote tolerance, then lets be an example of that as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Military appreciation should include not only a living hero but also someone who gave their life.

Pride night is fine, but there's a fine line between demonstrating tolerance/inclusivity and actually promoting that lifestyle. 

IMO each individual player should be allowed to choose what they want to wear for warmups each game... instead of having these forced theme based events.

If we're going to promote tolerance, then lets be an example of that as well. 

You know what line is much thinner? It’s the line between intolerance/exclusivity and condemning that lifestyle. Especially when we see this condemnation come in the form of actually being codified into law as we are currently seeing in some states.

I cannot agree more with your last sentence. Like Gandhi advised, let’s be the change we wanna see. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was listening to After the Whistle just to see what the meatheads thought about it. Surprisingly, I agreed with some of what was said.

Though I would wear the rainbow jersey without hesitation, I think asking a Christian person to wear the rainbow shirts is a bit of a stretch. 

To the guys' point, it'd be more impactful to get the team into the community and have a road hockey game or something. As per what I learned in my Catholic school education, even Jesus would walk amongst the "sinners", so if a Christian were to skip an event like this, it would definitely be on them, and not their Christian values.

1 hour ago, Happy Days said:

Why is there a need for sports teams to be involved with peoples sexual preferences? Keep politics out of the sport!!! Just play hockey!

It’s not political.  It’s marketing.  Trying to show inclusiveness.  Trying to make a group that has not traditionally been embraced in the macho pro sports arena that they are welcome.  Welcome to participate in the sport, welcome to become fans, welcome to buy tickets and merchandise.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Or in our own country where 47% of those polled are in favor of a theocratic government (let that marinate a bit)

Honestly curious.  Any links to specific polls you are referencing?  Can PM as to not disrupt thread.