Rasmus Dahlin for Norris, 2023

LGR4GM

The people (like Paul Hamilton) arguing for Morrissey are the WORST. His defensive metrics were terrible lol. Do even one ounce or research beyond “oh the guy they are calling NORRISSEY has pointz” I beg you.

I have to leave Twitter. The most common argument for why Makar deserved it was because even despite missing games he was *still* able to achieve point per game. I mean..people understand it’s easier to maintain ppg the smaller the sample size, right? That certainly doesn’t make it more impressive and it actually makes it less. Like when you play through injury instead and your ppg goes down 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I have to leave Twitter. The most common argument for why Makar deserved it was because even despite missing games he was *still* able to achieve point per game. I mean..people understand it’s easier to maintain ppg the smaller the sample size, right? That certainly doesn’t make it more impressive and it actually makes it less. Like when you play through injury instead and your ppg goes down 

Thorny, most people you see on Twitter are functionally lobotomized 

• Haha (+1) 1

Too lazy to look, and its a workday, but wasn’t there an article posted (in this thread maybe) indicating that Dahlin has some fairly poor advanced metrics relative to his Norris peers, specifically on the defensive side?  I recall the metrics mentioned not being metrics we fans mention much, contested zone entries, that sort of thing.  And Dahlin didn’t measure up with those stats.

Unpopular opinion but, maybe our bias is showing here and he’s not a top 3 guy yet.

Pg 2, Darth posted an article from the athletic.  No subscription so I don’t know the context, but a clip Darth posted indicates that there are flaws that would keep Dahlin out of the final 3.

Edited by Weave

I am disappointed for Dahlin. He deserves this recognition. 

However, as a Sabres fan, this works out well. A snub like this should help ensure that Dahlin continues an upward trajectory toward a final form that will be incredible to behold. He's still getting better, folks.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

However, as a Sabres fan, this works out well. A snub like this should help ensure that Dahlin continues an upward trajectory toward a final form that will be incredible to behold. He's still getting better, folks.

This is on point.

A few things might line up for him to take it up a notch next year.

His competitive juices will overflow. The team will improve, helping his numbers. His leadership role could be elevated. His contract status may be settled.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Too lazy to look, and its a workday, but wasn’t there an article posted (in this thread maybe) indicating that Dahlin has some fairly poor advanced metrics relative to his Norris peers, specifically on the defensive side?  I recall the metrics mentioned not being metrics we fans mention much, contested zone entries, that sort of thing.  And Dahlin didn’t measure up with those stats.

Unpopular opinion but, maybe our bias is showing here and he’s not a top 3 guy yet.

Pg 2, Darth posted an article from the athletic.  No subscription so I don’t know the context, but a clip Darth posted indicates that there are flaws that would keep Dahlin out of the final 3.

According to the charts Brawndo posted his defensive metrics are basically identical to Makar's 

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

According to the charts Brawndo posted his defensive metrics are basically identical to Makar's 

Like I said above, I didn’t read the article. Don’t have a subscription.  But the clip Darth posted mentioned stats that we don’t typically see and discuss, so there may be more to it than the commonly available stats we usually see in those fancy bar graphs

I don't know what the analytics say, but eye test I wouldn't put Karlson in the top 3. I know, this point total gets him in there but his Defensive play is pretty awful at times.  It seems like he put some effort into his own end 3-5 years ago and he got better, but he's back to being bad.  I have seen more than one highlight of him this year where he is on the ice and a goal is scored against them where he kinda just stands there and does...nothing.  101 points is a lot, that means he was on the ice for a lot of goals for...but when your plus-minus is a negative 26 WITH 100 points for...that means you are on the ice for a LOT of goals against. The eye test of his play shows it.  He has 25-30 more points than the rest of the top-10 D-men...but I am pretty sure his play and effort in his own end cost his team more goals against than that.

Without a late Dahlin injury, he should be there instead of Karlsson.  Because Dahlin got injured, Morrisey should be there instead of Karlsson.

Edited by mjd1001

20 minutes ago, Weave said:

Like I said above, I didn’t read the article. Don’t have a subscription.  But the clip Darth posted mentioned stats that we don’t typically see and discuss, so there may be more to it than the commonly available stats we usually see in those fancy bar graphs

I don’t know if the average reporter, who votes on the award, will actually dive deeply into those fancy stats.

To me it looks like 3 former winners, one with a generational offensive season. I think the first numbers they look at are points and then fine tune it from there.

I think the NHL should add a Rod Langway award for the best defensive Dman, similar to the Selke for forwards.

Hockey community out here is aghast that Quinn Hughes wasn't a finalist.

Radio guys listed off Morrisey, Montour, Dahlin, Hamilton, Heiskanen and Hughes and said any of that group could be considered more deserving than all three finalists.

Their theory was that in a year with so many viable candidates, voters frequently defaulted to a guy that won it before over a guy that didn't.

Edited by dudacek

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

And, not that it matters, but the NHL in their mid-season awards was giving the Norris to Dahlin.  Even ahead of Karlsson and his crazy offensive #'s.  @Thorny was right about the injury induced swoon that Dahlin had right after the ASG.  It cost him a finalist nod.

And agree with you, that this snub might be the best thing that could've happened to the Sabres next year (well, 2nd best right behind Levi being what he's certainly appeared to be capable of being) having their best skater playing with a chip on his shoulder.

• Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And, not that it matters, but the NHL in their mid-season awards was giving the Norris to Dahlin.  Even ahead of Karlsson and his crazy offensive #'s.  @Thorny was right about the injury induced swoon that Dahlin had right after the ASG.  It cost him a finalist nod.

And agree with you, that this snub might be the best thing that could've happened to the Sabres next year (well, 2nd best right behind Levi being what he's certainly appeared to be capable of being) having their best skater playing with a chip on his shoulder.

It also may have shaved $1 million AAV off the Dahlin contract extension.

Hughes $7.8 and Heiskanen $8.4 aren’t direct comps, because they signed earlier in their careers, but they are player comps.

Fox and McAvoy are more direct, and they are both $9.5, the league’s 4th and 5th highest-paid D.

• Like (+1) 2

The Norris has devolved into "whichever defenseman scores the most points".    

It is what it is.    Dahlin's a great defenseman no matter how many votes he gets.

That said, maybe they should have a separate award for "most points by a defenseman" like the Art Ross.. call it the Coffey Trophy or something.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It also may have shaved $1 million AAV off the Dahlin contract extension.

Hughes $7.8 and Heiskanen $8.4 aren’t direct comps, because they signed earlier in their careers, but they are player comps.

Fox and McAvoy are more direct, and they are both $9.5, the league’s 4th and 5th highest-paid D.

Ya, we probably should be happy he's not a Norris finalist. It might have raised the price tag. 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

The Norris has devolved into "whichever defenseman scores the most points".    

It is what it is.    Dahlin's a great defenseman no matter how many votes he gets.

That said, maybe they should have a separate award for "most points by a defenseman" like the Art Ross.. call it the Coffey Trophy or something.

Should have 2 awards its dumb now 

17 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't know what the analytics say, but eye test I wouldn't put Karlson in the top 3. I know, this point total gets him in there but his Defensive play is pretty awful at times.  It seems like he put some effort into his own end 3-5 years ago and he got better, but he's back to being bad.  I have seen more than one highlight of him this year where he is on the ice and a goal is scored against them where he kinda just stands there and does...nothing.  101 points is a lot, that means he was on the ice for a lot of goals for...but when your plus-minus is a negative 26 WITH 100 points for...that means you are on the ice for a LOT of goals against. The eye test of his play shows it.  He has 25-30 more points than the rest of the top-10 D-men...but I am pretty sure his play and effort in his own end cost his team more goals against than that.

Without a late Dahlin injury, he should be there instead of Karlsson.  Because Dahlin got injured, Morrisey should be there instead of Karlsson.

Morrissey’s defensive metrics were as bad as Karlssons 

445F0899-DA5A-4980-A8D5-AFAC9BBF01ED.thumb.jpeg.6bc5c38ed8a68ee7dacbec37092752ac.jpeg

Edited by Thorny