GDT: Capitals @ Sabres - Feb. 26, 2023, 1pm, MSG, WGR

Mustache of God

Once the game ended I went away happy, we had ours sons over for a big family dinner and some laughs.  I come back and see all most of the talk is UPL and who's fault the goals are.

With Dahlin and Tuch out, the Sabres came up big, at home in front of a sell out crowd, on NHL Network.  That is great.  We are in playoff position with games in hand.  They just have to consistently win at the current pace.  They need to shore up the defensive play of the TEAM, especially because we do not have a true #1 goalie to count on.  

Moving forward, they need to get ready to play a lesser team at home and get excited about it and take care of business against CBJ.  

Overall it was great hockey and Cozens really stepped up as did many others today.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Don't you think that as he emerges as a first line talent, even if it is at wing on the first line, that there is better use for him as a second line center who is driving that line? Maybe a second line composed of Mitts/Cozens/Quinn?

Sure, 2nd line is fine if you mean winger. I’m all about chemistry, not heirarchy.

I just mean Quinn has it in him to be a first-line level winger.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

take care of business against CBJ.  

There's been some talk about whether just getting up into a playoff spot would lead to some complacency and a drop off a bit.  Today's game tells me otherwise.  Now that they're nipping at the playoffs they don't want to drop back out and EVERY game matters.  After the Caps game I'm more optimistic than any point in this season that the Sabres will make the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

"Expense of this season"?????? The Sabres play at a 105 point pace with him in goal.  HE'S NOT HURTING THE TEAM.

Perhaps dramatic.
I just think UPL is getting an unprecedented amount of run support. 15 wins and a save percentage of .893. His best AHL season was .900 in 35 games. I don’t think he’s the catalyst. He’s not NHL average. 

It’s too bad Mitts made that horrible drop pass because I thought he had a terrific game overall.

Really, he’s on a run that should be winning some of the haters over. 

Since Jan. 1 he’s 6th on the team in shot share and 4th in goals for %. He’s also 6th in points, with 18 in 24 games. He's tied for 3rd on the team in takeaways and, despite his reputation, is just middle of the pack (10th)  in giveaways.

Past month he’s tied for 3rd on the team with 9 points in 11 games, with an on-ice goals for percentage of 67% and a shot attempt percentage of 51%.

He’s probably going to finish the year with more than 50 points.

In short, he’ making a positive contribution and has been for a while now.

I don’t recall him and Cozens playing together much before today, but they showed some chemistry and their skill sets kinda fit.

Donnie appears to regard them as his 4th and 5th forward. Maybe they can come together as 2/3rds of a real second line?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s too bad Mitts made that horrible drop pass because I thought he had a terrific game overall.

Really, he’s on a run that should be winning some of the haters over. 

Since Jan. 1 he’s 6th on the team in shot share and 4th in goals for %. He’s also 6th in points, with 18 in 24 games. He's tied for 3rd on the team in takeaways and, despite his reputation, is just middle of the pack (10th)  in giveaways.

Past month he’s tied for 3rd on the team with 9 points in 11 games, with an on-ice goals for percentage of 67% and a shot attempt percentage of 51%.

He’s probably going to finish the year with more than 50 points.

In short, he’ making a positive contribution and has been for a while now.

I don’t recall him and Cozens playing together much before today, but they showed some chemistry and their skill sets kinda fit.

Donnie appears to regard them as his 4th and 5th forward. Maybe they can come together as 2/3rds of a real second line?

When the bench has been shortened the past month or so, Cozens has become the C for Mittelstadt and Olofsson.  Other than that, and maybe some PP work last year on the 2nd unit, they really haven't been an item.

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Perhaps dramatic.
I just think UPL is getting an unprecedented amount of run support. 15 wins and a save percentage of .893. His best AHL season was .900 in 35 games. I don’t think he’s the catalyst. He’s not NHL average. 

I think it's possible for the goalie to influence the style of play.  For whatever reason UPL seems to influence the team to play Run & Gun.  I think it's a weird synchronicity of the vibes between the goalie and the rest of the team.  I don't know what's driving it, but I like that the Sabres win with UPL and don't question it too much.

And until you change your username you're in no position to criticize goaltending  😉

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Casey was pushed around a lot early in his career but he's learned how to stay on his feet, battle along the boards, take a hit and also dish one out.  It's not that he has snarl as such (aka Dahlin or even Cozens); it's more that he's become hard to play against.  I think his board work complements Cozens' speed and ability to work in traffic.  Mitts isn't known for his speed exactly, yet he can play at speed with Cozens.  Because he's played center, he's a good alternate on the faceoff dot and he and Cozey are both good playmakers.

Didn’t get to watch because of some out of market thing but saw the highlights. Cozens did very well controlling the puck close to the net. He didn’t panic and made the right play showing composure. Specifically on his third goal I can see average players one timing it but he took the time to throw a deke in tight.

After the game rob Ray gave the shots on goal and score for each team. Then proceeded to say that UPL played a good game. I'm  sorry but in what universe is 4 goals on 28 shots playing a good game. Granted they all aren't on him but even if you give him 2. Then 2 goals on 28 shots is still not good. The only reason UPL has a winning record is because we are currently the second highest goal scoring team in the league. 

Just watched Granato’s post game presser… Powerful explanation of why Sabres management stays focused on the next game after a bad effort and not criticism of a player or the group… Long Season… Also great locker room remarks… Even gave UPL a love tap

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

After the game rob Ray gave the shots on goal and score for each team. Then proceeded to say that UPL played a good game. I'm  sorry but in what universe is 4 goals on 28 shots playing a good game. Granted they all aren't on him but even if you give him 2. Then 2 goals on 28 shots is still not good. The only reason UPL has a winning record is because we are currently the second highest goal scoring team in the league. 

His paychecks are signed by the Pegulas. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.