GDT: Capitals @ Sabres - Feb. 26, 2023, 1pm, MSG, WGR

Mustache of God

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

It’s too bad Mitts made that horrible drop pass because I thought he had a terrific game overall.

Really, he’s on a run that should be winning some of the haters over. 

My sense is that there is no helping the subculture of Sabres Twitter that is comprised of Mittelstadt haters. They have a take that was good for a period of time, but which is now not factually supported. But they keep doubling down on it without regard for the mounting evidence that Mittelstadt is (going to be) a very good middle-6 NHL forward. 

Some combination of the eye/gut test tells me that, when the Sabres are making playoff runs, he's going to be the sort of player who's going to help get the team over the edge. I feel like really good teams always have these guys -- top notch pedigree when they're drafted, with skills to match, but, instead of becoming a top-line fixture, they wound up embracing a role on a good team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think the team winning some games against harder opponents in their building helps build the confidence that the kids need. We are still going to see the boneheaded mistakes that kids make and only hope they learn as fast as they are learning to score. Love the spice the kids are showing as well. Although i prefer Quinn not dropping the gloves...LOL But, he held his own. 

Perfect time for a rousing, exciting home win before a big crowd.  Well done Sabres, and well done Sabrespace with a 37-page GDT.  There is no doubt that we are all in.

My game notes:

- I generally think most of the criticism of Bettman/the NHL is well overblown, but the absence of an NHL network app, and the inability to access NHL network games online by any manner whatsoever other than an illegal stream, is idiotic.

- Awful drop pass notwithstanding, I thought Mitts did very well on the 2nd line with Cozens -- well enough that I'd like to see him stay there for a bit.

- Cozens showed quite a bit of skill on his goals.

- Similarly, Quinn did very well in place of Tuch on the top line.  He is really coming on.

- TT literally broke the Caps' goalie's skate with a slapper!  I don't think I've ever seen that before.  And his goal was vintage put-it-anywhere-he-wants TT.

- I still want much more from Krebs-VO-JJP, but Krebs' intensity is great.  I loved him plowing over Oshie at the blue line.

- The Caps look like they're pretty close to calling it a season.

- UPL was solid IMHO but not great.  The goals he gave up weren't too bad.  It wasn't a strong enough performance to lock down the #1 spot though.  I think we'll see Comrie vs CBJ.

- I hope the fans come out for the CBJ game.  The Sabres need to keep playing well at home.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

My sense is that there is no helping the subculture of Sabres Twitter that is comprised of Mittelstadt haters. They have a take that was good for a period of time, but which is now not factually supported. But they keep doubling down on it without regard for the mounting evidence that Mittelstadt is (going to be) a very good middle-6 NHL forward. 

Some combination of the eye/gut test tells me that, when the Sabres are making playoff runs, he's going to be the sort of player who's going to help get the team over the edge. I feel like really good teams always have these guys -- top notch pedigree when they're drafted, with skills to match, but, instead of becoming a top-line fixture, they wound up embracing a role on a good team.

I think it's important to note that part of the reason Casey's gaff was so egregious is that plays like that are becoming increasingly rare for the Sabres.  It seems like they were par for the course a few years ago but now when someone makes a play like that they really stick out like sore thumb.

I agree that Mitts will fill a valuable role on the team when they start getting playoff action.  He has the pedigree and has shown that he has good passing skills, fair enough shooting, and under Granato has developed some grit, especially along the boards.

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Got eeem.

Krebs seemed to be a lightweight when we got him.  I don't think he's put on much weight but he's certainly learned how to use what he's got.  The difference, imo, is confidence.  Last season he was trying not to make mistakes.  This year he's initiating.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Krebs seemed to be a lightweight when we got him.  I don't think he's put on much weight but he's certainly learned how to use what he's got.  The difference, imo, is confidence.  Last season he was trying not to make mistakes.  This year he's initiating.

"Paging Mike Peca. ... Paging Mike Peca. Please run through the nearest blue and gold courtesy phone."

In their respective primes, Peca and Krebs will have essentially the exact same build.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

"Paging Mike Peca. ... Paging Mike Peca. Please run through the nearest blue and gold courtesy phone."

In their respective primes, Peca and Krebs will have essentially the exact same build.

Wouldn't that be something if Krebs could be even 85-90% of what Peca was.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I gotta believe Peca had more than a few chats with Krebs about that...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Wouldn't that be something if Krebs could be even 85-90% of what Peca was.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I gotta believe Peca had more than a few chats with Krebs about that...

It takes a special kind of psycho to be built like that and then play like that.

One of the scarier moments of my life -- entirely self-created -- was when I had a few too many pops at the arena, was seated on an aisle, was a few rows up from Peca, who was seated one seat in on an opposite aisle, and I said something sorta towards him that was truly G-rated but nonetheless specific about his wife/wife's family (his FIL was my dentist and I was the same age and friendly with his future SIL). That guy turned around and gave me a look that would have made Clint Eastwood look no scarier than Mr. Rogers. I sobered up real quick. And left the game early.

• Shocked 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.