Jakob Chychrun scratched for trade related reasons

Brawndo

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Do you want time make the playoffs this year? Or win playoff rounds next year? It's better letting Quinn learn now.

You know I'm in 100% agreement with you on this, I'm a huge fan of Adams slow build. Not sure why you quoted that post, I don’t think you disagree with what was said in it. 

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

They didn’t start off equal. The fact they(Seattle) started with a lineup full of middle six veterans allowed it to make sense to spend to add talent. In Buffalo’s case, it did not till now. They are not at the same point and I did understand your point, just don’t agree with your premise. The Sabres are at least a year behind, if not two and already nipping at their heels. 

I don't get this. How was the roster Seattle drafted in expansion any better than what was left of the Sabres roster? We already had most of our biggest current contributors on it. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't get this. How was the roster Seattle drafted in expansion any better than what was left of the Sabres roster? We already had most of our biggest current contributors on it. 

Because they are older, further along in their development. Seattle drafted low ceiling guys in order to be competitive early on. The funny thing is most of their “splash” moves that you tout haven’t worked out very well. In addition, they have spent a fortune on goaltending and it may be worse then Buffalo’s.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hank said:

You know I'm in 100% agreement with you on this, I'm a huge fan of Adams slow build. Not sure why you quoted that post, I don’t think you disagree with what was said in it. 

I know and I wasn't disagreeing with you. Was more of add on to what you were saying. 

10 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Oh, Arizona... How many teams can possibly give you only contracts of the ELC level?

Buffalo could or at least be close to that. Rosen, 2024 1st, Bloom or Nadeau, Weissbach or Rousek. That's probably not enough for them but at this late stage it is a decent offer with all ELC ppl. The older prospect gives you something you can plug in immediately, the younger 2 prospects give you a likely top 6 player and then a potential middle 6 guy. The 2024 1st will probably be in the low 20s. Buffalo doesn't need to eat anything or have anything eaten. 

Again, that is probably not enough for Arizona but I don't think it is inherently unfair either. 

37 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

All i know Adams cant be this dumb to potentially have over 30 million on this blue line thats just idiotic. 

I wouldn’t fret.  He’s pretty much said at every turn he isn’t sacrificing long term success for immediate gains.  I believe him.  

4 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

All i know Adams cant be this dumb to potentially have over 30 million on this blue line thats just idiotic. 

It would only be for a single season in 2024-25 as the Power and Dahlin Extensions would start until that year and Chychrun would be in His Final Year of His Contract

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

It would only be for a single season in 2024-25 as the Power and Dahlin Extensions would start until that year and Chychrun would be in His Final Year of His Contract

Chychrun is going to make 8-9 million his next deal.

Then you have power, Dahlin = 18m

Thats already 26+ without Samuelsson etc 

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

And the cap might be 87mil+ in 2024. 

Just now, Buffalonill said:

Chychrun is going to make 8-9 million his next deal.

Then you have power, Dahlin = 18m

Thats already 26+ without Samuelsson etc 

He is signed for 2 more years so we can worry about that when we get there. 

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So lets spend 30+ on the blueline .

Tell me one team that has done this 

There are several teams over $25M on an $81m cap. Do the math, $30M on a $90M works, especially when you have your two centers locked up for just over $14M and you’ll have a your number one goalie on an entry level deal for the first few years.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, tom webster said:

There are several teams over $25M on an $81m cap. Do the math, $30M on a $90M works, especially when you have your two centers locked up for just over $14M and you’ll have a your number one goalie on an entry level deal for the first few years.

I haven't seen one team with 30+ million on the blue line .. 

Forwards are different 

Pegula has never, ever resisted spending money to try to win.  The examples are myriad.  He's made big offers to Babcock, Bylsma, Eichel, Tavares, Richards, Ehrhoff, Leino, Hodgson, Okposo, was ready to do so w/ Stamkos, and many others that do not immediately come to mind.  His GMs haven't always made smart decisions, but the money always has been there until Adams decided to take things a little more slowly (this is not intended as a criticism of Adams; I have other criticisms but this ain't one).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 hours ago, tom webster said:

Because they are older, further along in their development. Seattle drafted low ceiling guys in order to be competitive early on. The funny thing is most of their “splash” moves that you tout haven’t worked out very well. In addition, they have spent a fortune on goaltending and it may be worse then Buffalo’s.

Well I agree that Grubauer hasn't been all they hoped he'd be and he has struggled but he's been getting it back lately and might still prove his worth. But yes, their strategy was to prioritize goalie and move out from there, and to surround rookies with veterans, the very opposite of Buffalo's (which is why it's interesting to look at in comparison). 

I'm curious though as to what moves you think haven't worked out (besides Grubauer)? Also, "drafted low ceiling guys" who is that? Not seeing it. They have only 2 drafts but already have some good prospects and likely rookie of the year. 

If they've done such a bad job, why are they currently in a playoff spot and why have they beaten us every time they've played us?

50 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Pegula has never, ever resisted spending money to try to win.  The examples are myriad.  He's made big offers to Babcock, Bylsma, Eichel, Tavares, Richards, Ehrhoff, Leino, Hodgson, Okposo, was ready to do so w/ Stamkos, and many others that do not immediately come to mind.  His GMs haven't always made smart decisions, but the money always has been there until Adams decided to take things a little more slowly (this is not intended as a criticism of Adams; I have other criticisms but this ain't one).

I remember a time when KA was on WGR and was asked why he didn't re-sign Ullmark. He said that he and his staff placed a value on the player and weren't willing to go beyond the contract boundaries that they set. He pointed out that this franchise has gotten into a cap bind because it didn't have the discipline and fortitude to say no. He made the point that there will be players that they want to keep but based on how the operation was now going to function they won't be able to keep or pursue some players on the market because of the cost to value ratio. 

If you look at the contracts that have been given to Tage, Sameulsson and Cozens, these can't be categorized as outsized deals (like the Skinner deal) .They could better be described as fair-value deals. If you look at our free agent pickups such as Lyubushkin and Comrie they fall within the value approach to signing players. If you include the Jost pickup all these (ancillary) players are smart and cost-effective additions. 

My general point is that this franchise is being run more smartly and analytically. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.