What is the primary reason you visit this board?

mjd1001

Is this forum and the Sabres/Hockey your primary interest?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this forum and the Sabres/Hockey your primary interest?

• The Sabres are my favorite team, the NHL my favorite sport and this forum my favorite forum and I visit/contribute to this the most.
    • The Sabres/hockey/this forum is just another interest I have, but not my primary sporting interest.

I vaguely watched the Sabres in my childhood, I’m 24 so I watched as a casual fan (pretty young one at that) while they enjoyed their success from ‘05-‘10. Once the drought started my fandom wasn’t strong enough to stick through the bad years really and they became more than irrelevant to me. 

Then they drafted Eichel and I started paying a little bit of attention again. Right around the Skinner trade I kind of hit a point where I was like, well, I’m a diehard Bills fan, I’m a diehard sports fan in general, and I’m from Buffalo, why am I not paying attention to the Sabres?

Problem was, being a diehard sports fan in general it drove me insane that I didn’t understand hockey and was just watching casually understanding that goal = good, goal against = bad. When I watch the Bills, I’m able to digest on field play and the offseason and roster management at what I would call an above average level. With hockey, I had zero idea and I couldn’t stand that so I needed to learn more. 

At that point I had just made my account at TwoBillsDrive and came across SabreSpace. It seemed like the majority of the community here were intelligent and understood the game (definitely more so than over at TBD 😬) so I lingered and just read and observed to digest and try to learn. I did that for probably about 2 years before making an account.

Now I’ve had the account for about 3-4 years and have watched 90%+ of Sabres games for 5-6 years. I still don’t contribute around the boards much, but I think I’m at a point where I can confidently digest roster management and am slowly starting to actually see the gameplan, individual player peformance and coaching impacts develop live on ice during the games. 

You sick f**ks did it to me. It’s no longer 1.) Bills …………………………………… 2.) Sabres, it’s now 1A.) Bills, 1B.) Sabres. I’m fully addicted, and right as I escaped one drought, I was strangely deranged enough to jump on board another drought lol

Edited by elijah
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I sometimes wonder why I spend time on the internet as a whole, but this is a pretty good sports related group as groups go. If it disappeared tomorrow though I think I'd adjust fairly quickly. 

I did that with Facebook and Twitter several years ago now. Thought I'd miss it. Not even a little bit.  The missus is doing a bit of a purge right now with unfollows and the like. She wishes she could nuke it completely but she needs it for work.

57 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Live look in at NS's house:

Hate Me Sport GIF by UFC

image.png.00b8106740bb005c119e29fb33482fcc.png

That sticker is on my car and a flag of that hangs in my rec room.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Just like the fat guy at Amerks games used to yell out

Hockey...

Hockey...

HOCKEEEEY!!!

Most Rocesterians here are prolly too young to remember him. 

What is a Rocesterian?

9 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

And Pincy spelling Amerks for each section around the arena during playoff games after whistles.  

And the Pee Wee Herman tequila dance on top of the rail of a section.  

Amerks games used to be so fun.  

That was Earl of Bud in Buffalo. 

RIP Pincie, he was a fun school bus driver when I was a kid. 

I have about 4 sites I visit with any routine.  This is one of them.

The only sport I truly care about is hockey and the Sabres are far away my favorite team and the only one I actually care about. All other hockey teams are interesting to me simply because they are part of hockey and in the world of the Sabres.

This place, at its best, is full of information and insight, debate and conversation.

This place, at its worst, is the Internet.

I've met a few people on here and it makes it even more of a community because of it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I have about 4 sites I visit with any routine.  This is one of them.

The only sport I truly care about is hockey and the Sabres are far away my favorite team and the only one I actually care about. All other hockey teams are interesting to me simply because they are part of hockey and in the world of the Sabres.

This place, at its best, is full of information and insight, debate and conversation.

This place, at its worst, is the Internet.

I've met a few people on here and it makes it even more of a community because of it.

This is pretty much the best way I can view it. 

As I mentioned myself I used to be more of a Bills fan than a Sabres fan but that has changed lately.

I have thought about something else on this topic....the popularity of the team and how much that makes it fun or frustrating to follow.

Now, I want to make this clear....I do NOT like gatekeeping in anyway. I want ALL the teams Iike to have as many fans as possible, I want as many people to enjoy them, and I want as many people as possible to participate in following them/forums about them/social media about them. 

BUT.....when I visit the Bills forum now with their success, there tends to be a lot of threads and post that honestly, can be almost embarassing to read. Either complaints about things that make no sense at all other than people letting out pure emotion.....uncomfortable levels of 'player worship' after someone has a good game/season...and people who post things and argue about them based on reading headlines or what the talking heads on ESPN tell them.

I tihnk it is great when the forums grow, and everyone has the right to participate and post what they think...but in the last couple years, I have personally taken a step back from the Bills forum because of that.  While I personally agrue with people here on this Sabres forum, I disagree with some of the points and at times I go back and forth with some posters and it can get a little heated...I still end up respecting most of what is posted here, and look forward to the next post by the person who I just argued with.

As of right now, following the Sabres on this forum is a great blend fun with the direction of the team and thoughtful posts/opinions on that.

• Like (+1) 3

For a while the sabres and this forum were my main sports thing, but I grew up a Bills fan and came to the Sabres later. My Dad didn't watch hockey, but my step dad did. And my college had division 1 hockey only. The other sports were division 3, and they wasn't a football team. A lot of that coincided with when the team was really good (late 90s through mid 00s).

As the Bills have gotten good again, and the Sabres were still pretty bad, I drifted more back to them. I still skim/lurk on the forums, but stopped participating in most of the threads. I've been a bit more active now that they are on the rise. I've never stopped following/watching them, but I didn't feel like there was much I wanted to discuss while they were bad.

My Bills podcast has a slack server, and they have a channel for the Sabres that I chat in a bit, but it's not as active as this forum.

24 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

For a while the sabres and this forum were my main sports thing, but I grew up a Bills fan and came to the Sabres later. My Dad didn't watch hockey, but my step dad did. And my college had division 1 hockey only. The other sports were division 3, and they wasn't a football team. A lot of that coincided with when the team was really good (late 90s through mid 00s).

As the Bills have gotten good again, and the Sabres were still pretty bad, I drifted more back to them. I still skim/lurk on the forums, but stopped participating in most of the threads. I've been a bit more active now that they are on the rise. I've never stopped following/watching them, but I didn't feel like there was much I wanted to discuss while they were bad.

My Bills podcast has a slack server, and they have a channel for the Sabres that I chat in a bit, but it's not as active as this forum.

Clarkson grad?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.