Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

This is the interesting position on Chychrun for Buffalo.  Have 3 pairs who can all play 20 minutes, but go to 2 pairs late in games when you are behind.  How do people feel about that option?

If you really have 3 pairs good enough to go 20 then you are rich at defense.  I like it.

1 minute ago, Indabuff said:

How many people here will be pissed if KA does absolutely nothing before the deadline?  

Not pissed, but disappointed.

I really think it would be a missed opportunity to give this young core a good run at a playoff round.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

How many people here will be pissed if KA does absolutely nothing before the deadline?  

Maybe disappointed, but certainly not pissed. I’ve been extremely impressed with what KA has done to fill this roster and farm system with young talent…for having an honest to Abe plan, not just some free-wheeling, fly by the seat of your pants, go for the quick fix by bringing in some mercs to “win now” plan. He’s aiming to build a winning team and culture by doing it from within.

He knows where we need help and I’m certain he’s working on it, but I’m also pretty certain he won’t overpay or get fleeced just to make a move. He has his plan, he’s sticking to it, and I’m fine with that.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 1

Assuming for argument's sake that KA makes at least one move at the deadline.  How soon does it happen? 

We have 2 games left before the deadline.  Tuesday the 28th vs CBJ at home and then Thursday at Boston.  

FYI: We opened Feb getting pummeled by 3 playoff teams (Car, Cgy, and LA - 17-5) and now have won 5 of 6.  A win vs CBJ with give us a 6-4 month of February.  The other loss was to the hated Leafs at home 6-3.

We have 15 games in March.  9 at home,  6 on the road. 

My hope is KA makes a move for D help before the Bos game, not after.   We are going to need all the D help we can get if we are going to make it to the playoffs.  The March schedule feature Bos (2), Dal, TB, Edm, Tor, NJ, NYR (2), NSH, NYI (2), and Wash.  The only "easy" games are Mon and Philly.

I’m curious about Greenway from the Wild. He has scored a bit over the last few years. Huge winger(6’6” 230), I don’t know about his skating.

He could be a reclamation project for DG, coached him at USNDTP. Jost would know him.

His salary is a bit much for Minny with their coming crunch from Parise/Suter. $3M AAV for two more years.

If the ask is in the Jeannot neighborhood it is a big NO. A 2nd or 3rd, sure.

He is not putting up any points this year but has scored in last few.

27 pts in 62 games in 21/22

32 pts in 56 games in 20/21

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I want them to make a move to add another D.

But I believe they can make the playoffs without one.

And, shy of a starting goalie, I doubt any other move they would be interested in would make much of a difference.

You don't think adding a youngish physical forward to the lineup would help with Tuch out?  JJP seems to have hit a wall and looks like he could use a break now and again.

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I want them to make a move to add another D.

But I believe they can make the playoffs without one.

And, shy of a starting goalie, I doubt any other move they would be interested in would make much of a difference.

I believe they will. One half of me believes Chychrun is coming to Buffalo, but then I see the prices around the league and the other half of me is in the fetal position under the blankets in the corner of the room sucking my thumb. Good God did Tampa sell the house for a d man. I'm actually afraid lol

38 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You don't think adding a youngish physical forward to the lineup would help with Tuch out?  JJP seems to have hit a wall and looks like he could use a break now and again.

Sure, but only if that player still makes next year and beyond.

Looking at your trade board, do we want to pay Pat Kane prices? Is JVR actually better than JJP? Enough to rob JJP of what a playoff race will teach him? Is Puljujarvi? Is Sam Lafferty better than Tyson Jost? Do we want Nick Schmaltz or Brock Boeser’s contracts moving forward?

If we could have upgraded Jeff Skinner or JJ Peterka into Timo Meier, sure why not? If we could flip Mitts or VO for better, harder middle-six forwards, I’d look at that.

But I have no interest in sitting JJ and trading a 3rd rounder to watch Evgeny Dadanov play 20 games in blue and gold. I’d rather use those 20 games to let JJ experience an NHL stretch drive.

We’ve got 14 NHL forwards. Depth isn’t a big issue up front.

Just now, dudacek said:

Sure, but only if that player still makes next year and beyond.

Looking at your trade board, do we want to pay Pat Kane prices? Is JVR actually better than JJP? Enough to rob JJP of what a playoff race will teach him? Is Puljujarvi? Is Sam Lafferty better than Tyson Jost? Do we want Nick Schmaltz or Brock Boeser’s contracts moving forward?

If we could have upgraded Jeff Skinner or JJ Peterka into Timo Meier, sure why not? If we could flip Mitts or VO for better, harder middle-six forwards, I’d look at that.

But I have no interest in sitting JJ and trading a 3rd rounder to watch Evgeny Dadanov play 20 games in blue and gold. I’d rather use those 20 games to let JJ experience an NHL stretch drive.

We’ve got 14 NHL forwards. Depth isn’t a big issue up front.

Greenway. He’s under contract for 2 more years and Donnie knows him well.  From my reading, Minn will let him go cheap.  Getting a youngish player in the lineup with size, some skill and has playoff experience with Tuch out would be a good thing.

I agree defense is a more pressing issue.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I wouldn't be. If the right piece isn't available then the right piece isn't available. I don't see them as being in a "DO SOMETHING!" position - we have meaningful hockey going into March. This will be the most exciting March in over a decade. We have enough depth to hopefully keep things going when two of our top players are out. We have more talent in the pipeline with a weakness on D men.

Personally, I am not doubting this roster's talent, potential and ability to grow - we've been watching that develop all season.

What we need is a solution in goal and our best solution there seems to be to wait. We need to learn more effective team-defense - a trade ain't solving that. From the outside it seems like our coach needs to learn how to deploy a little more strategery which, again, no trade will fix. The TeAm PsYCho needs some experience and perhaps a little more muscle mass - trade? No.

We need a new d-man to develop - why trade picks on rounds 1 and 2 of this draft?

1 minute ago, ... said:

I wouldn't be. If the right piece isn't available then the right piece isn't available. I don't see them as being in a "DO SOMETHING!" position - we have meaningful hockey going into March. This will be the most exciting March in over a decade. We have enough depth to hopefully keep things going when two of our top players are out. We have more talent in the pipeline with a weakness on D men.

Personally, I am not doubting this roster's talent, potential and ability to grow - we've been watching that develop all season.

What we need is a solution in goal and our best solution there seems to be to wait. We need to learn more effective team-defense - a trade ain't solving that. From the outside it seems like our coach needs to learn how to deploy a little more strategery which, again, no trade will fix. The TeAm PsYCho needs some experience and perhaps a little more muscle mass - trade? No.

We need a new d-man to develop - why trade picks on rounds 1 and 2 of this draft?

We can afford to part with 1-2 2nd rd picks.  Assuming the player drafted in the 2nd makes the NHL odds are he won’t make an impact with the Sabres for 4-5 years.  

In addition KA can restock the draft capital by using our cap space to help other deals get.  This way you get assets you need to be more competitive now and still get more players in the pipeline.  Also who says that spending a second on a player with term doesn’t achieve both goals?

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I agree with your position on all of this but can't resist pointing out that there is no upgrade for any of the above worth the total cost of the transaction. None. Included in that total cost is the disruption to the room for the rest of the season and teh sacrifice of picks for this coming draft.

• dislike 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We can afford to part with 1-2 2nd rd picks.  Assuming the player drafted in the 2nd makes the NHL odds are he won’t make an impact with the Sabres for 4-5 years.  

In addition KA can restock the draft capital by using our cap space to help other deals get.  This way you get assets you need to be more competitive now and still get more players in the pipeline.  Also who says that spending a second on a player with term doesn’t achieve both goals?

If we're using second-round picks to flesh out a deal then the cost in an actual player is too high or the return is too low to make the deal worthwhile IMHO. 

2 minutes ago, ... said:

If we're using second-round picks to flesh out a deal then the cost in an actual player is too high or the return is too low to make the deal worthwhile IMHO. 

You don’t even know the hypothetical deals in question ... ? 

- - - 

a lot of what I’m hearing in this thread isn’t “anti-panic move” or “anti-win now move”, it’s just plain old anti-trade. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.