Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Enough double talk.   I am arguing one side.  It’s Adams  job to improve the team. They are in the playoff run.  They are short defenseman.   He needs to be all in.  You are worried about the players feelings, and I said Adams is in charge, not the players.  

You are the one with double talk, try following the whole conversations.  Again, I NEVER said Adams should take the players feelings into consideration. NEVER, you just must want to make your point at the expense of my post.  Let me summarize this for you again, the post i was RESPONDING to basically stated that he needed to show the players he would make a move for them.  If you are arguing that what the players say doesn't matter, then that is the same point I was making. I was saying him 'making a move to show the players' he is willing to doesn't matter, because it can be taken either way. I was making a COUNTER point to the original posting.

Its cute how YOU are responding to MY post saying "enough double talk" when that is not what my post was even about, if you actually read the post I was responding to before replying to me.  Wow, you guys got to get a grip about going after other people with an attitude just to say what you want to say.

I would invest not insignificant assets for Demko.

Not any of last year’s 1sts, but maybe UPL and Rosen or something similar? Launder some Canucks cap?

This year’s poor season doesn’t wash away his resume. Guy is much better than this board gives him credit for.

Improves us now, and, at worst, walks us comfortably to Levi.

I’m all on board with Chychrun.

Disagree pretty strongly with the “not the right type argument”.

What we need more than a stay-at-home guy is an all-situations guy who is net positive and can play Donnie’s system.

That is Chychrun.

He’s a very good player in a position of need for 2 years on a good salary.

Watching today it was very easy to see him replacing any of our top 3 capably in exactly their roles.

If we’re healthy, he gives us 3 strong pairs.

Im in.

11 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

You are the one with double talk, try following the whole conversations.  Again, I NEVER said Adams should take the players feelings into consideration. NEVER, you just must want to make your point at the expense of my post.  Let me summarize this for you again, the post i was RESPONDING to basically stated that he needed to show the players he would make a move for them.  If you are arguing that what the players say doesn't matter, then that is the same point I was making. I was saying him 'making a move to show the players' he is willing to doesn't matter, because it can be taken either way. I was making a COUNTER point to the original posting.

Its cute how YOU are responding to MY post saying "enough double talk" when that is not what my post was even about, if you actually read the post I was responding to before replying to me.  Wow, you guys got to get a grip about going after other people with an attitude just to say what you want to say.

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

What we need more than a stay-at-home guy is an all-situations guy who is net positive and can play Donnie’s system.

That is Chychrun.

Watching today it was very easy to see him replacing any of our top 3 capably in exactly their roles.

Im in.

This is the interesting position on Chychrun for Buffalo.  Have 3 pairs who can all play 20 minutes, but go to 2 pairs late in games when you are behind.  How do people feel about that option?

That is Chychrun.

Im in.

Would you be willing to include Quinn in a deal for Chychrun? I wouldn't. Arizona is not going to deal him for chump change. They are going to want multiple high end prospects. I wouldn't recommend paying that price. I would prefer pursuing a Lyubushkin third pairing caliber player to bolster the blue line.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

Would you be willing to include Quinn in a deal for Chychrun? I wouldn't. Arizona is not going to deal him for chump change. They are going to want multiple high end prospects. I wouldn't recommend paying that price. I would prefer pursuing a Lyubushkin third pairing caliber player to bolster the blue line.  

Luke schenn is your man. 

Just now, JohnC said:

Based on how long the trade saga has been going, I think you’re right that they’re overplaying their hand and asking for more than market value. I agree there’s simply no way Quinn is involved in this trade.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

No.

And Arizona will not be getting a Quinn-level prospect when they trade him. He’s not that good.

Something around Rosen, a protected 1st, Portillo and a 2nd would be higher than most teams will be willing to go.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

No.

And Arizona will not be getting a Quinn-level prospect when they trade him. He’s not that good.

Something around Rosen, a protected 1st, Portillo and a 2nd would be higher than most teams will be willing to go.

I'm good with that.  I'm also good with getting just Schenn or Jensen or even both.

I still want Greenway.

Just now, dudacek said:

No.

From our end of the proposed deal, I would make it. I don't see Arizona agreeing to your proposal. 

No.

Does Portillo have ANY value at all?  Really not expecting it.

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

From our end of the proposed deal, I would make it. I don't see Arizona agreeing to your proposal. 

It beats their ask of the equivalent of 2 1sts and a lesser prospect

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Does Portillo have ANY value at all?  Really not expecting it.

Yes. Jack McBain was traded to Arizona for a high 2nd-rounder last year under exactly the same circumstances.

A team bereft of goalies in their system who offers the type of opportunity Portillo is looking for will offer up a pick, although I doubt it will be that high.

I think is more likely to move as a sweetener in a larger trade. The Sabres save face, the other team gets a free asset.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It beats their ask of the equivalent of 2 1sts and a lesser prospect

Yes. Jack McBain was traded to Arizona for a high 2nd-rounder last year under exactly the same circumstances.

A team bereft of goalies in their system who offers the type of opportunity Portillo is looking for will offer up a pick, although I doubt it will be that high.

I think is more likely to move as a sweetener in a larger trade. The Sabres save face, the other team gets a free asset.

I just don't see a trade with Buffalo materializing. I'm not even sure if KA is interested in Chychrun. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I just don't see a trade with Buffalo materializing. I'm not even sure if KA is interested in Chychrun. 

Hard to say what he’s interested in given all he’s had to say is they aren’t interested in short-term gain for long-term pain.

But he should be. He does say he is interested in improving the team and Chychrun certainly does that. He’s not a rental and he’s only 24.

Adams does say that he’s interested if the price is right.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hard to say what he’s interested in given all he’s had to say is they aren’t interested in short-term gain for long-term pain.

But he should be. He does say he is interested in improving the team and Chychrun certainly does that. He’s not a rental and he’s only 24.

Adams does say that he’s interested if the price is right.

That's KA's mantra! 

Chychrun sure would be a major addition to the unit. It's simply my "impression" that the GM is not as interested in this particular player as the crowd is. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Whether he is or not targeting him I would love to see an addition made to the unit. On that issue I'm sure we are in accord. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I would invest not insignificant assets for Demko.

Not any of last year’s 1sts, but maybe UPL and Rosen or something similar? Launder some Canucks cap?

This year’s poor season doesn’t wash away his resume. Guy is much better than this board gives him credit for.

Improves us now, and, at worst, walks us comfortably to Levi.

I like UPL but this trade makes sense for both teams

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.