GDT - Sabres @ Vegas - December 19, 2022 - 10:00 PM (EST) - MSG and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Or altitude in Colorado...or any other time they have big leads...always some reason.

Bottom line is they need to stop playing the NHL version of prevent defense in the NFL because usually it prevents you from winning.

Their top pair pretty much each played 1/2 of the last 3 games.  This game they finally had ONE of the other 4 D-men that were in the lineup on opening night.

BTW, they won all 3.

Am OK w/ it given the circumstances.

• Agree 1

I felt Granato went to the whip at the end- shortening the bench, going with his best players.

I'm not sure he managed the end of the game as good as he could have but I would say it was significant in that he's been coaching to teach up until tonight.  Tonight was different:  He was coaching to win.  Mark this day on your calendar as the game when the Sabres when from a building team to a team that's competing for the playoffs.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, K-9 said:

Like I said, I'm looking forward to it. Whether it takes five more consecutive or a little longer, it's gonna happen. As long as we avoid any losing streaks of course. 

It’s just not intuitive when you’re four points behind to realize it actually takes you 10 points to get there.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I felt Granato went to the whip at the end- shortening the bench, going with his best players.

I'm not sure he managed the end of the game as good as could have but I would say it was significant in that he's been coaching to teach up until tonight.  Tonight was different:  He was coaching to win.  Mark this day on your calendar as the game when the Sabres when from a building team to a team that's competing for the playoffs.

And how does that explain with Casey Middlestat on the ice in the final minute or so?

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Like I said, I'm looking forward to it. Whether it takes five more consecutive or a little longer, it's gonna happen. As long as we avoid any losing streaks of course. 

They're going to have another losing streak at some point.  Just means they'll need a 2nd winning streak.  Pretty sure they have that in them too.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

It’s just not intuitive when you’re four points behind to realize it actually takes you 10 points to get there.

And how does that explain with Casey Middlestat on the ice in the final minute or so?

I understand all that. Intuitive or not, let me enjoy the possibilities of the trend line continuing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doohickie said:

Like I said I don't think he was totally correct in how he did it, but he shortened the bench.  This is new for him.

He's shortened the bench quite a bit the last month when the game has been tight.  But this is the 1st time in a while that he dropped to just 3 lines.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They're going to have another losing streak at some point.  Just means they'll need a 2nd winning streak.  Pretty sure they have that in them too.

As long as the winning streaks are longer than the losing streaks...

We are at four in a row and counting. Be nice to get a little cushion to pad the occasional loss or two. What we can't have is another 8 game losing streak or anything that comes close, obviously. 

Just now, SDS said:

i’m not stopping you from anything.  weird.

Didn't mean to imply that you were. It's all good. I just don't wanna engage in a discussion on what's intuitive or not when it comes to anything Sabres. For crissakes, this is the Sabres and nothing about them being successful is intuitive in the least. 

Well I actually found that win more impressive than some of the flashier earlier ones because they went up against a team that is playing a form of shut down hockey (Bylsma-like maybe) where they don't let you do what you want to do and you have to find ways to plug along and overcome it. And they did. Almost blew it, and they needed good goaltending to hold on, but they did, and that's a huge accomplishment. I think the kids learned a lot in this one even if the youngsters had to sit a fair bit when the going got tougher. 

There was sweat coming down some of their faces at the end. That's a huge positive in my book. Huge. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I can't see the Sabres postgame... 3 weeks ago who couldn't do it?  UPL?

Yes UPL, the OP implies though that DG was hinting that the Sabres organization were the ones saying that 

In context of the interview I think what he was actually implying was that fans/media were saying that UPL couldn’t do it 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just a quick point.  DG played Dahlin and Samuelsson for the final 3 minutes tonight.  That is not a winning strategy long-term.  

When you ice the puck you can't change players out.  The forwards behing closer to the bench managed to change out, but Muel and Dahlin were stuck out there.  But you're right:  You don't playing ANYONE for 3 minutes straight when you're trying to protect a lead.

IN UPL WE TRUST was the motto of this game.

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

When you ice the puck you can't change players out.  The forwards behing closer to the bench managed to change out, but Muel and Dahlin were stuck out there.  But you're right:  You don't playing ANYONE for 3 minutes straight when you're trying to protect a lead.

IN UPL WE TRUST was the motto of this game.

To be fair there was a solid amount of breaks in play for that final 3 minutes, and we are missing our 2nd pairing.

• Like (+1) 1

What I observed being at the game. Samuelson is the Sabres best defenseman. The overall team defense needs a lot of work. Dahlin needs a lot of work on his defensive game. Now I see all the criticism from the Sabres fans on Mitts. He’s a lazy player. Jost was a solid pickup as he plays hard. UPL was their best player tonight but if people are criticizing him then you really need to look at Buffalo’s team defense. It needs a lot of work. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.