GDT - Sabres @ Vegas - December 19, 2022 - 10:00 PM (EST) - MSG and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Right now he's making a case to be Noronnen.  Which is significantly better than he was playing.  You still want better, but it's good enough as the 2nd half of a platoon.  Can he take it higher than that?  We shall see.

I agree with you that it is still an open question on how good the big goalie be. I'm simply not sure? It should be remembered that it took Ullmark 6 years in the system before he became a NHL caliber goalie. 

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

There's a key concept buried in there:  building this team.  This team isn't a finished product, nor is it as good as it likely will be in a month, or two, or three.  This is readily apparent to me in how the team looks with half our regular Dmen out.  A month a go it was a disaster.  Now it's a winning streak.  If you don't think Pilut, Clague and Fitzy haven't grown as part of this team since November you're not paying attention.  Are they studs?  No.  Can they hold down the fort?  A month ago, no.  Now?  Eh.... almost, with good goaltending.  By the end of January, will they know what Granato wants out of them and come closer to giving it to him?  I would say yes.

Can the forward ranks grow to produce more consistently while being more responsible defensively?  Again, I say yes. 

Some teams are all they'll ever be already.  They're constituted similarly to the way they were last year and the year before.  They have the same coach and are playing the same system.  The Sabres are still developing and growing and will be a better team by the end of the season than they are now.  They will be playing a system closer to Granato's vision, and more consistently.  Cup contenders?  Doubtful.  But will they manage to win a series?  I wouldn't count them out.

Yes, similar circumstances to the previous time they were down 3-4 D w/ much better results.

But, don't see it so much the support D being better as the F's both individually playing better AND being slotted better.

The Kid Line (whatever you all it) was barely a thing during the losing streak and when they were together they were typically the 3rd line.  Thompson hadn't started getting 2 points nearly every night.  Jost wasn't helping settle that other non-Okposo line & Krebs was making a strong case for getting a trip to Ra-cha-cha.  ALL of those things have made the D's life easier IMHO.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

The NHL Game Center stats show we were outshot 17-1 vs. Colorado and 23-5 vs. Vegas in those third periods, for a total of 40-6 in both games. I’ve seen different numbers posted in this thread. Are you guys getting stats from a different source? Are the NHL game stats not reliable? Thanks.

If that is what the NHL site says, I’ll go with it. I think i was going by what was said on the Wgr post game. I lost definitely could have heard wrong. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Broken Ankles said:

Visual of stealing a game. Not sure I agree with 4%, but definitely high danger shooting.  

447556308_BuffaloSabresvs.VegasGoldenKnights-MondayDecember192022-MoneyPuck_com.thumb.png.8f76fa23bbd9ede93f67f46d5d4760f9.png

When you're leading the league at a 12.3% shooting percentage you can play like that.  The Sabres got a couple of great looks and buried them, plus a seeing eye puck from the point.  The Knights are in the bottom half of the league in shooting percentage at 9.9%.  Vegas had too many great looks last night, granted, but UPL was up to the challenge.

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

When you're leading the league at a 12.3% shooting percentage you can play like that.  The Sabres got a couple of great looks and buried them, plus a seeing eye puck from the point.  The Knights are in the bottom half of the league in shooting percentage at 9.9%.  Vegas had too many great looks last night, granted, but UPL was up to the challenge.

UPL made some great saves but Vegas also had a lot of shots at him without a screen in front. I presume they were simply hoping for rebounds that could be stuffed in. His rebound control was good but then again maybe he had Stickum on his crest. 

22 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

UPL made some great saves but Vegas also had a lot of shots at him without a screen in front. I presume they were simply hoping for rebounds that could be stuffed in. His rebound control was good but then again maybe he had Stickum on his crest. 

I think that's part of the point:  The Sabres tend to take more high quality shots while the Knights take a below average number of quality shots.  Fewer shots for the Sabres but more are likely to go in.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Right now he's making a case to be Noronnen.  Which is significantly better than he was playing.  You still want better, but it's good enough as the 2nd half of a platoon.  Can he take it higher than that?  We shall see.

It's so hard to project the future play of a young goalie. I think of Ryan Miller in his first two early stints with the Sabres. After one game he ended up in tears. Hasek was traded to the Sabres for a fraction of what his worth ended up being. His stats prior to that trade did not indicate his future super stardom. If I'm management I'm going to err on the safe side and keep plenty of goaltenders in my system with the expectations that some of them will work out. (I know that in doing so that creates other challenges but what position is more important than GTer on a hockey team?)  

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think that's part of the point:  The Sabres tend to take more high quality shots while the Knights take a below average number of quality shots.  Fewer shots for the Sabres but more are likely to go in.

The disparity in shooting percentage sorta backs that up. I know some people here will attribute that to the Sabres having some better snipers and not their style but the eye test tells me that the good guys get into more super quality shot positions than their opponents. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

It's so hard to project the future play of a young goalie. I think of Ryan Miller in his first two early stints with the Sabres. After one game he ended up in tears. Hasek was traded to the Sabres for a fraction of what his worth ended up being. His stats prior to that trade did not indicate his future super stardom. If I'm management I'm going to err on the safe side and keep plenty of goaltenders in my system with the expectations that some of them will work out. (I know that in doing so that creates other challenges but what position is more important than GTer on a hockey team?)  

#1C, #1D 😎

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I stink because I'm constantly stepping on it Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/pile-of-poop

If you as a poster don't really pay attention to the other posters on a site you'll be stepping in it often. I post elsewhere to an extent that dwarfs what I have posted here. I know those guys (and girls) and their opinions. I'm not easily fooled by their sarcasm and I rarely can fool any longtime posters. I sorta knew this all along but it became much clearer to me when I started lurking and posting more here. I had to pay attention to who said what if I wanted to respond to the poster's overall opinions. If you've been reading Zamboni's posts over a period of time and know that he has often complained about how his little sister used to beat him up you'll know that his bravado about his winning record in hockey fights is probably bogus. All kidding aside, I've had a little communication with Zamboni and we're pretty much on the same page. I was able to immediately tell that his comment that ruined your 4" pumps*** was sarcasm.

Forgive me if this sounds like a lecture from your 8th grade English teacher that you thought was hot. I like you as a poster and think your opinions are more than valid. One more thing, you previously mentioned the need  for a sarcasm emoji. Emojis suck. They are simply a way to be able to pass off bad writing and get away with it. I admit that once in awhile I'll use them but only when I'm pushing the envelope with someone that doesn't really know me. 

***PoopyOff works wonders if you apply it within 72 hours

43 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

If you as a poster don't really pay attention to the other posters on a site you'll be stepping in it often. I post elsewhere to an extent that dwarfs what I have posted here. I know those guys (and girls) and their opinions. I'm not easily fooled by their sarcasm and I rarely can fool any longtime posters. I sorta knew this all along but it became much clearer to me when I started lurking and posting more here. I had to pay attention to who said what if I wanted to respond to the poster's overall opinions. If you've been reading Zamboni's posts over a period of time and know that he has often complained about how his little sister used to beat him up you'll know that his bravado about his winning record in hockey fights is probably bogus. All kidding aside, I've had a little communication with Zamboni and we're pretty much on the same page. I was able to immediately tell that his comment that ruined your 4" pumps*** was sarcasm.

Forgive me if this sounds like a lecture from your 8th grade English teacher that you thought was hot. I like you as a poster and think your opinions are more than valid. One more thing, you previously mentioned the need  for a sarcasm emoji. Emojis suck. They are simply a way to be able to pass off bad writing and get away with it. I admit that once in awhile I'll use them but only when I'm pushing the envelope with someone that doesn't really know me. 

***PoopyOff works wonders if you apply it within 72 hours

You are putting too much effort into commenting on someone else's lack of apprehension of someone's sarcasm. I was fooled by someone's sarcastic comments. Big freaking deal!

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I was going to comment that it’s what the second best PP in the league will do for you. But then I realized all three goals last night were five on five. Nice!

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

You are putting too much effort into commenting on someone else's lack of apprehension of someone's sarcasm. I was fooled by someone's sarcastic comments. Big freaking deal!

You weren't apprehensive about somebody's sarcastic comment?  Well, that's ... awesome, right?  (Where's the unsure emotion when one really needs it?) 😉

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, K-9 said:

The NHL Game Center stats show we were outshot 17-1 vs. Colorado and 23-5 vs. Vegas in those third periods, for a total of 40-6 in both games. I’ve seen different numbers posted in this thread. Are you guys getting stats from a different source? Are the NHL game stats not reliable? Thanks.

Pretty sure that 1 agains Colorado was the ENG as well. 

12 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Visual of stealing a game. Not sure I agree with 4%, but definitely high danger shooting.  

447556308_BuffaloSabresvs.VegasGoldenKnights-MondayDecember192022-MoneyPuck_com.thumb.png.8f76fa23bbd9ede93f67f46d5d4760f9.png

“Deserve’s got nothing to do with it.”

12 hours ago, grinreaper said:

Interesting. Yet another aspect of of the game that is not reflected in the xG stat.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

We would get so frustrated when another team's rookie/backup goalie looked like Hasek.  I'm just enjoying the shoe being on the other foot.

I re-watched the last two periods last night because I was barely half awake the night prior. And the EXACT same thought came to mind as I was watching UPL. And he's 3rd on our original depth chart.

2 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

And he's 3rd on our original depth chart.

That's the thing with goalie development:  There is no set schedule.  Even at the beginning of the season he wasn't ready.  Now.... maybe he is?  Or maybe he's just had a couple of good games?  Comrie started out strong too then looked mediocre.  Until a goalie "arrives" or shows that he'll never arrive, you just don't know.  I hope that this is the beginning of getting stable goaltending for the team.  We'll see.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.