Is Kevyn Adams doing anything?

Zamboni

Is Kevyn Adams doing anything?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. The board seems to be split on this. Is General Manager Kevyn Adams doing anything to help the Buffalo Sabres so far this season?

• No. I think he's sitting on his hands. He's sitting on his butt. He's not making or taking phone calls. He's not talking trade scenarios with anyone including his staff. He's not doing anything whatsoever to help the Buffalo Sabres.
    • I think he's doing things to help the Buffalo Sabres. But it isn't enough in my opinion.
    • I think he's making/taking phone calls, meeting with this staff, trying to get the right roster player. While still sticking to the overall plan that the staff has implemented. I'm fine with what he's doing so far.
    • I have a different opinion not listed.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/18/2022 at 06:00 PM

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Agree that it would be good to spend more draft capital on D.

Not sure that the prospects/ extra F's will be moved to bolster the D.  They have the top 3 slots nailed long term & there are prospects that are ~3 years out.  Really expect we'll see a couple more Lyubushkin pickups to round out the bottom 3 slots & 7&8.  Would leave them with Jokiharju, new guy, & Lyubushkin as the bottom 3 (in no particular order) and other new guy & Bryson as the 7 & 8.

Expect it would take a lot of prospect capital to fill those 2 slots; probably more than Adams wants to part with.  If he can find a deal or 2 to do so, would be great w/ it.  Just not expecting it.

The Sabres are pretty set with puck moving defensemen that can also captain the power play. What they need are a couple of good stay at home defensemen that should be able to be picked up at a reasonable cost in FA. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, grinreaper said:

The Sabres are pretty set with puck moving defensemen that can also captain the power play. What they need are a couple of good stay at home defensemen that should be able to be picked up at a reasonable cost in FA. 

I would like some guys who do all the boring things right like Samuelsson.  I don't need yet another PMD.

• Like (+1) 5

On 12/19/2022 at 10:34 AM, thewookie1 said:

Botterill and Murray really weren't good at using their scouts were they?

Wait how do we know who the GM was that offered up Tage? It just says 2-3 years ago

On 12/19/2022 at 10:22 AM, Brawndo said:

Just gonna leave this here 

Also what does this say it’s just coming up blank 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/19/2022 at 1:55 PM, nfreeman said:

The bolded statements are all BS.

JB does not get credit for drafting Dahlin.  Just the opposite -- he was trying to ice a competitive team that year and they ended up DFL, won the lottery and drafted the consensus #1 prospect. 

As for Mitts vs Necas -- yes, hindsight matters and Mitts wasn't a reach, but that's not the point.  The GM gets paid millions to get these decisions right and to ice a winning team.  The Mitts selection at this point looks like a major mistake, and learning that JB overruled his scouting staff to make it is just the cherry on the poop sundae.

Of course not every decision JB made was a complete train wreck.  But the sum total of his decisions was exactly that.  As I've said previously, an executive board of Sabrespacers would've done a much better job of running the Sabres than JB did.

What grade would you give to JB for his tenure here?

Does Adams get credit for Power? 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Does Adams get credit for Power? 

Would give him more credit than Botterill gets for selecting Dahlin.

Beniers was legitimately a good selection at 1 as well.  Nice that it was pretty much a can't miss choice, but Adams made the selection for what the Sabres had less of & a greater need for IMHO.  Dahlin was ALWAYS going to go 1 overall.

PLUS, he signed Hall which pretty much guaranteed winning the lottery.  That was the part of the Bjork trade people forget Buffalo got.  They didn't just get Bjork & a 2nd, they also got Hall to agree to leave his "my team ALWAYS wins the lottery juju" in Buffalo for being allowed to go where he wanted to be.  😉

But @grinreaper nailed the answer.

Edited by Taro T

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Watching Borgen tonight 

if the Sabres protected him, does anyone remember who they would have likely lost in the expansion draft?  I’m thinking Asplund but my memory is a little murky 

If so, that’s definitely one in the “mistake” column for Adams 

If they went 8 skaters 

rather than 7F and 3d 

They should have gone 

Eichel , Mitts, Samson, Tage, Dahlin, Joker, Risto and Borgen

may have lost Olofsson or Asplund   Which seems a better alternative than a big RHD who is doing well with Seattle 

of course hind site is 20/20 

15 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

If they went 8 skaters 

rather than 7F and 3d 

They should have gone 

may have lost Olofsson or Asplund   Which seems a better alternative than a big RHD who is doing well with Seattle 

Absolutely hindsight is 20/20 

At the time, some thought that Carrier should’ve been protected instead too. I view it  as “the grass is always greener effect”

7 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Watching Borgen tonight 

if the Sabres protected him, does anyone remember who they would have likely lost in the expansion draft?  I’m thinking Asplund but my memory is a little murky 

If so, that’s definitely one in the “mistake” column for Adams 

No it isn't. The mistake is not adding better depth in the last 2 years to defense, not losing a 6/7 defenseman. Borgen is replaceable. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No it isn't. The mistake is not adding better depth in the last 2 years to defense, not losing a 6/7 defenseman. Borgen is replaceable. 

RHD.  Big guy.  Seems to be developing into more than a 6/7.

Maybe not that easlily replaceable.  And if he is why have the Sabres not replaced him ??

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

If they went 8 skaters 

rather than 7F and 3d 

They should have gone 

What they should’ve done is protected Toker over Ulmark. That shiny decoy would undoubtedly been picked up because Seattle went on a goalie signing frenzy. With Ulmark selected, we would’ve retained everyone else. They should told Ulmark he signs a contract or he gets exposed. Instead, we got played. 

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Maybe not that easlily replaceable.  And if he is why have the Sabres not replaced him ??

I agree here.  Definitely more than a 6/7 Dman.  I’d would argue 4/5.     He is on the bottom pair in Seattle but on the top PK unit  
l

12 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Absolutely hindsight is 20/20 

At the time, some thought that Carrier should’ve been protected instead too. I view it  as “the grass is always greener effect”

That was Vegas I believe not Seattle 

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

They did. Lybushkin

50 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I agree here.  Definitely more than a 6/7 Dman.  I’d would argue 4/5.     He is on the bottom pair in Seattle but on the top PK unit  
l

That was Vegas I believe not Seattle 

He's not,  you wanna go 5 because he plays pk, okay. You don't want Borgen taking regular shifts in your top 4.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

He's 26. There's not a lot more development there and I'll be curious when his career ends to see how many years he sits at the level he's at now. 

From Lance at the BN.  https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-mailbag-when-should-gm-kevyn-adams-trade-for-a-player-to-win-now/article_e60c4286-82c3-11ed-a5e9-9fe2470465f1.html

@ChuckEGoods asks: If General Manager Kevyn Adams chooses to not make a significant trade, should the organization shift to win-now mode next season instead of waiting on development in Buffalo and Rochester?

Lysowski: Absolutely. He should make a trade before the deadline if the right player is available for the right price. It’s time to build the NHL roster. The Sabres have at least six forwards they know are going to be part of this team for the foreseeable future: Tage Thompson, Jeff Skinner, Alex Tuch, Dylan Cozens, JJ Peterka and Jack Quinn. Four defensemen have earned a long-term spot: Rasmus Dahlin, Mattias Samuelsson, Owen Power and Henri Jokiharju. A few others are still proving themselves.

It’s important to maintain a strong prospect pipeline, but it’s also time to weaponize the embarrassment of riches to get an NHL player you won’t be able to develop from within or sign in free agency. Eventually, Adams will need to add a physical forward for the bottom six, someone who can play reliable defense and help on the forecheck. Defense should be at the top of the shopping list in the interim, though.

Arizona Coyotes defenseman Jacob Chychrun would help take pressure off Dahlin, Samuelsson and Power. You need six reliable defensemen in the NHL nowadays. Injuries are inevitable.

Adams is going to be patient, though. The Sabres need to see the impact Ilya Lyubushkin can have when healthy, and the price tag for Chychrun is astronomical right now. It doesn’t hurt to wait to see how the roster's short-term needs evolve in the coming months. Trades don’t happen in December nowadays because so many teams are against the salary cap and limited in what they can do this early in the season.

Additionally, it’s no secret the Sabres are evaluating Victor Olofsson and Casey Mittelstadt to see if either player fits in their long-term plans.

On 12/26/2022 at 8:50 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s good to see that most, to a person seem to think the time to cash-in on some of that prospect/pick/cap asset available is upon us. 

If we are still very much in the hunt come the deadline, see if there’s a move that can help us right now - getting in and getting some experience would be a boon. If not, make your moves in the summer and set the clock at “playoffs” in 2024.

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s good to see that most, to a person seem to think the time to cash-in on some of that prospect/pick/cap asset available is upon us. 

If we are still very much in the hunt come the deadline, see if there’s a move that can help us right now - getting in and getting some experience would be a boon. If not, make your moves in the summer and set the clock at “playoffs” in 2024.

The thing is that we don't need to be flashy.  A 2nd pair defencive LHD to put Power on the 3rd(!) pair so that he does not burn out could be it.  Just having sufficient depth would have got a few points when Samuelsson was out.

10 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The thing is that we don't need to be flashy.  A 2nd pair defencive LHD to put Power on the 3rd(!) pair so that he does not burn out could be it.  Just having sufficient depth would have got a few points when Samuelsson was out.

I still think we’ll need goaltending help at some point. 

In my mind I see it as sort of a ticking time bomb issue: as long as we are seeing backups nearly every game, our disadvantage at the position is basically nullified. More less a “prevent defence” like affect we are seeing, on our offence, getting to face more back ups than starters. But as soon as teams wise up and we start getting their starters, our lack of such becomes a more concrete disadvantage.

Whether we make it this year may just come down to how much runway we get from the league, before that very adjustment. If the adjustment is made before we’ve got a spot secured, it may be that we are close but just miss, and that proper supplementation of the goalie position this summer allows us to get the rest of the way, next season 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.