Is Kevyn Adams doing anything?

Zamboni

Is Kevyn Adams doing anything?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. The board seems to be split on this. Is General Manager Kevyn Adams doing anything to help the Buffalo Sabres so far this season?

• No. I think he's sitting on his hands. He's sitting on his butt. He's not making or taking phone calls. He's not talking trade scenarios with anyone including his staff. He's not doing anything whatsoever to help the Buffalo Sabres.
    • I think he's doing things to help the Buffalo Sabres. But it isn't enough in my opinion.
    • I think he's making/taking phone calls, meeting with this staff, trying to get the right roster player. While still sticking to the overall plan that the staff has implemented. I'm fine with what he's doing so far.
    • I have a different opinion not listed.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/18/2022 at 06:00 PM

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I still think we’ll need goaltending help at some point. 

In my mind I see it as sort of a ticking time bomb issue: as long as we are seeing backups nearly every game, our disadvantage at the position is basically nullified. More less a “prevent defence” like affect we are seeing, on our offence, getting to face more back ups than starters. But as soon as teams wise up and we start getting their starters, our lack of such becomes a more concrete disadvantage.

Whether we make it this year may just come down to how much runway we get from the league, before that very adjustment. If the adjustment is made before we’ve got a spot secured, it may be that we are close but just miss, and that proper supplementation of the goalie position this summer allows us to get the rest of the way, next season 

Is this actually the case or do we just assume it is?

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Is this actually the case or do we just assume it is?

I actually meant to type “majority” of games which I believe to be the case, definitely. We’ve seen more backups than starters by a decent margin I believe. If someone has the actual numbers / can correct me that’d be swell - only basing this off memory 

From what I can see it’s actually a significant majority 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I actually meant to type “majority” of games which I believe to be the case, definitely. We’ve seen more backups than starters by a decent margin I believe. If someone has the actual numbers / can correct me that’d be swell - only basing this off memory 

So, the team that prior to Christmas was the highest scoring team in the NHL was mostly getting backup goalies? That's a head scratching approach that one would think was being done either out of ignorance or they were simply throwing in the towel knowing that they were going to lose. 

BN article had Tuch at 73 points over his first 82 games with the Sabres. Sneaky production, eh?

Edited by grinreaper

18 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

So, the team that prior to Christmas was the highest scoring team in the NHL was mostly getting backup goalies? That's a head scratching approach that one would think was being done either out of ignorance or they were simply throwing in the towel knowing that they were going to lose. 

BN article had Tuch at 73 points over his first 82 games with the Sabres. Sneaky production, eh?

Ya I agree, it has been pretty odd. Harrington has been tweeting about it for a while now. You’d think teams would have caught on by now. Oh well, too bad for them, for now

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya I agree, it has been pretty odd. Harrington has been tweeting about it for a while now. You’d think teams would have caught on by now. Oh well, too bad for them, for now

Maybe they respect our defencemen and goalkeepers that little.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Maybe they respect our defencemen and goalkeepers that little.

Could just be an “old habits die hard” thing until they finally say, “enough”. 

- - - 

Ran through the games quickly (yes this took a good while): by my count we’ve got the opponent’s backup 20 times on 32 games.

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

But is this really true? Or do we just think it is?

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Yea he's tweeting it but is it true?

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

- - - 

Ran through the games quickly (yes this took a good while): by my count we’ve got the opponent’s backup 20 times on 32 games.

I hope that we can keep flying under the radar as long as possible.  They can only blast the puck at the netminder in front of them.  If it helps us stack-up wins, then I hope this trend continues.

1 hour ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

I hope that we can keep flying under the radar as long as possible.  They can only blast the puck at the netminder in front of them.  If it helps us stack-up wins, then I hope this trend continues.

Ya, we should enjoy it while it lasts as I can’t imagine we’ll see it for much longer. And if all goes to plan, once it goes away it may be a long time before we see it again 

Oh I see, you went back and edited a previous post. Found them

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

- - - 

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not saying it isn't true, I'm just asking what's the split?

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

You can type this a hundred times, I already looked it up and posted the number haha 

My post 13 hours ago, your edit 15... so thxs

There is a lot of well-deserved anger with Sabres fans.  But I'm trying my best to look at GMKA from the time and situation that he was hired until now.  To do that I will just say look at @dudacekearlier post in this thread.

IF the Sabres were in the situation they were in when GMKA took over BUT it was 2013-2014 season I think some fans opinions would be different.

All those misses on GMs and HCs have hardened the fanbase.  I think GMKA is doing OK and trending upwards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I found this interesting from 32 Thoughts 

Adams listens to his veterans — according to a couple of sources, he listened this year when they asked him to keep three goalies on the NHL roster because they thought it best for the team.

As long as he listens to the right guys and is secure enough to go against their wishes when he thinks they are wrong. I’d be interested to know their rationale in pushing for three goalies.
It’s one thing to listen to Chris Drury when he tells you that Satan has to go, another thing to listen to……,

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Adams listens to his veterans — according to a couple of sources, he listened this year when they asked him to keep three goalies on the NHL roster because they thought it best for the team.

The question to ask that won't be asked is which goalie was the odd man out?  Considering how little action he gets, expect it was Comrie, but not positive.

Were they right? 

A dog is smarter than its tail, but if the tail were smarter, then it would wag the dog.

Golden Retriever Dog GIF by WoofWaggers

• Like (+1) 1

This thread asks if KA is doing anything.  The answer right now is no.  The real question, as his team gets pummeled by good teams, is whether KA has the guts to support this team by acquiring the D to help them reach the playoffs.  I think the answer is no.  He is going to watch how the next 4 games unfold and say (if the team plays well) “I didn’t do anything at the deadline because I didn’t want to disrupt the chemistry of the developing young team” and if they don’t play well, he’ll say “This is a development year and the cost in the trade market was to high to make any substantive moves.”  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This thread asks if KA is doing anything.  The answer right now is no.  The real question, as his team gets pummeled by good teams, is whether KA has the guts to support this team by acquiring the D to help them reach the playoffs.  I think the answer is no.  He is going to watch how the next 4 games unfold and say (if the team plays well) “I didn’t do anything at the deadline because I didn’t want to disrupt the chemistry of the developing young team” and if they don’t play well, he’ll say “This is a development year and the cost in the trade market was to high to make any substantive moves.”  

And I'd agree with him. I expect another "Letter to Fans". I wonder who's going to draw the short straw in the locker room this time? I'm leaning towards Powers, but Girgs may step up as well. And does anyone know what they decided to get Asplund as a wedding gift during last night's game?

Edited by Scottysabres

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

As long as he listens to the right guys and is secure enough to go against their wishes when he thinks they are wrong. I’d be interested to know their rationale in pushing for three goalies.
It’s one thing to listen to Chris Drury when he tells you that Satan has to go, another thing to listen to……,

I was uncomfortable when this was broached the first time.  Okposo told Adams the team didn’t want outsiders to come help, and they wanted to figure it out in their own.  Tons of flawed logic there.  What if they can’t figure it out?  What if they just don’t have the horses?  Trying to rally around the boys is all well and good but if there are glaring needs (there definitely are), these guys will never be able to push them over the top.  

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, inkman said:

I was uncomfortable when this was broached the first time.  Okposo told Adams the team didn’t want outsiders to come help, and they wanted to figure it out in their own.  Tons of flawed logic there.  What if they can’t figure it out?  What if they just don’t have the horses?  Trying to rally around the boys is all well and good but if there are glaring needs (there definitely are), these guys will never be able to push them over the top.  

They don’t have the horses.  None of our goaltenders and Bryson, Lyubishkin and Clague would not make the roster of a contending team.  It’s also questionable whether Jost, KO or Girgensons would earn a spot on a good team either.  

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why does this take guts?

Doesnt it take more guts to stick to your plan/principles in the face of pressure to do otherwise?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.