2023 World Juniors

LGR4GM

On a Czechia power play:

Kulich backchecks from the far side after the puck gets past the point man. Two-on-one with Kulich in pursuit, not backing up. Not even a shot on goal. Great play.

Fans on a one timer, then hits the side of the net on the next one-timer setup.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

Kulich delays to open the passing lane, then a great burst of speed... and skies the centering pass. Misses the open net entirely. No hattie yet. Bit of a rolling puck on replay.

Kulich seems to coast/glide a lot off puck (in contrast to Östlund earlier today who is always motoring). But when he wants to go, he's got great speed. And he goes to the net fast.

8 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Kulich seems to coast/glide a lot off puck (in contrast to Östlund earlier today who is always motoring). But when he wants to go, he's got great speed. And he goes to the net fast.

I've noticed this too. I like Kulich, but I don't like this aspect of his game. he does seem to coast from time to time and let others do the dirty work. Hopefully that can be coached out of him and it's not a character trait. Otherwise he shows great promise. 

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I've noticed this too. I like Kulich, but I don't like this aspect of his game. he does seem to coast from time to time and let others do the dirty work. Hopefully that can be coached out of him and it's not a character trait. Otherwise he shows great promise. 

I've read it less as coasting and more that the Czech game appears to focus on him finding the soft spot in the opponent D to get shots off from. At least in the offensive zone it seems that he's not tabbed with mucking up the boards but being the target for those who are tasked with that.  not always possible, sure, but as soon as Czech players were in the zone it appeared he disengaged to find those spots.

Perhaps its indicative that his board play is poor, or its a sign his shot is excellent.  Not sure which.  I think he'll have to be all over it in the Sweden game though.

• Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, LTS said:

I've read it less as coasting and more that the Czech game appears to focus on him finding the soft spot in the opponent D to get shots off from. At least in the offensive zone it seems that he's not tabbed with mucking up the boards but being the target for those who are tasked with that.  not always possible, sure, but as soon as Czech players were in the zone it appeared he disengaged to find those spots.

Perhaps its indicative that his board play is poor, or its a sign his shot is excellent.  Not sure which.  I think he'll have to be all over it in the Sweden game though.

Well that's fair enough. It's hard to tell if that's Czechia strategy or just how he plays. He does have a good shot that's for sure. Potential sniper. He's a VO upgrade and perhaps more. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well that's fair enough. It's hard to tell if that's Czechia strategy or just how he plays. He does have a good shot that's for sure. Potential sniper. He's a VO upgrade and perhaps more. 

Agreed. I haven't seen the Amerks beyond highlights so I can't say what his style is there. Czechia certainly didn't need him flying off the handle as a forechecker against Switzerland, that's for sure. He was getting to the right spots for defense and offense, so his sense might just be one of those guys who always seems to be in the right-place, right-time without even looking like he's trying. Those are some of the best guys to have.

• Agree 1

From what I’ve seen of Kulich, he’s never going to be a a face puncher, a distributor or a guy who carries the puck on his string.

But his skill set lends itself to pretty much any other role, at centre or at wing, anywhere in the lineup.

It will be very interesting to see what role he carves out for himself because he can go in a number of directions.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From what I’ve seen of Kulich, he’s never going to be a a face puncher, a distributor or a guy who carries the puck on his string.

But his skill set lends itself to pretty much any other role, at centre or at wing, anywhere in the lineup.

It will be very interesting to see what role he carves out for himself because he can go in a number of directions.

His ceiling is Zemgus with a better shot.

Going into Wednesday's semis, Czechia goalie Tomas Suchanek (also Sabres 2022 Prospects Challenge goalie) is tied for 12th in the tourney with 4 assists. An assist with the right results could get him into the top 10. ....he probably can't catch Bedard.

Kulich v. Rosen and Östlund. And only one of USA-Canada gets to play for gold. Should be fun, although ESPN+ is not carrying this round which is maddening.

Edited by DarthEbriate

Czechia vs Sweden is the first semifinal game today. Czechia has played well. They are a big physical team playing a well rounded game. Suchanek has been good in net and I think their D is better than Sweden’s.

Czechia 4 - Sweden 2 is my prediction, Kulich 1G 1A while Östlund gets an A.

Canada vs USA. At the start of the tournament many people would have predicted this would be the gold medal game but here we are. The US must control Bedard, he drives the bus for Canada. I don’t trust the goaltending on both sides, this could be a high scoring game. I see a very close game with Canada eking out a win 6-5.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So the Sabres prospect game at 2:30 and the Bedard/ Fantilli show vs the Hughes/Cooley show at 6:30.  

I would take Hughes and Cooley before Fantilli. There has been a lot of hype, but I have yet to see him have a good game at the U20 or U18 level.

He is young and has a long runway but he is nowhere near Bedard as far as skill goes. This seems like the media wanting someone to challenge Bedard for the #1 slot and Fantilli is next up. At this point in time it looks like a McDavid vs Eichel draft to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.