2023 World Juniors

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Nice rush by Östlund in OT, coach trusts him to be out on 3v3.

Östlund didn’t have a huge impact offensively, but he was impressive to me for his savvy and his motor: constantly engaged, constantly in motion, constantly on the right side the puck.

He passes the puck very well as well. His coach relied on him more and more as the game progressed.

Krebs is going to have some competition for that 3C spot he’s started to carve for himself the past few games.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Bedard got is 14th WJ goal, tying the record for goals by a Canadian. He’s got more games this year and is eligible for two more years.

When ppl talk about his size, I always think about his mid July birthday and how young he really is. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, French Collection said:

Nice rush by Östlund in OT, coach trusts him to be out on 3v3.

That, and the play where he got the puck near the goal line were the only 2 times I noticed him. 

None of the Sabres prospects shone in this one imo. Swedes won but overall I liked a lot of the Czech players better. Bigger, stronger, more drive. We should shift some more of that Euro drafting in their direction. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We're making the playoffs. 

Only if Florida craps out. Which is possible. 

12 hours ago, French Collection said:

Kulich vs Rosen and Östlund later today.

Did you watch on nhl network?

i did, and at the end of the 3rd period they cut away and said “we’re now going to the USA vs Switzerland game, when someone scores well let you know.” Wtf I couldn’t believe it. I watched the entire Sweden/Czech game but didn’t see OT. Wtf

As far as the game, I thought Kulich was very solid. Rosen was quiet today. Could barely tell he was playing. Wasn’t active attacking or creating scoring chances as he usually does. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That, and the play where he got the puck near the goal line were the only 2 times I noticed him. 

None of the Sabres prospects shone in this one imo. Swedes won but overall I liked a lot of the Czech players better. Bigger, stronger, more drive. We should shift some more of that Euro drafting in their direction. 

Only if Florida craps out. Which is possible. 

Kulich looks like a big strong kid. Jaro Spacek’s son is a nice RHD, already drafted though.

I would still take a chance on their goalie Suchanek.

• Agree 2

ESPN+/Hulu with a Sabres prospect WJC morning.

Finland opens their quarterfinal hot against Sweden; excellent forechecking. Östlund defends Kemell who deflects a puck, Östlund follows up with a stick check and does his job defensively, but the deflection's rebound pops across the crease and Finland buries it for 1-0. Nothing from Rosen's line yet beyond being pinned in their own zone. Östlund's next shift with a great forecheck and almost picks a second pass off in the slot.

Edited by DarthEbriate

Sweden's first shot on goal is 12 minutes into the first period. Rosen takes a stick up high to draw a penalty. Then, Rosen makes a sloppy drop pass for a turnover, and then takes a trip later in the sequence -- and there goes Sweden's PP. Rosen with a horrid PP shift.

The 4-on-4 expires and Sweden has 5 guys on the ice for a long time. Not called. Refs have a hard time catching too many men.

Edited by DarthEbriate

Rosen still has a lot of runway to develop into a really good player but assuming Kulich and Savoie (possibly Östlund) ahead of him, there really isn’t a role for him on the Sabres anytime soon.  
i would consider him and the Sabres lottery protected first rounder available in a trade to bring in another quality Dman.  
I would put Chychrun at the top of the list  

Really dig Östlund's game without the puck. With the puck he's got good vision, lots of one-touch passes to the right spot, but he doesn't want to possess the puck himself or wait for the bigger play. In this game, he's a distributor but not a playmaker who looks to force the issue.

The Sweden defenseman makes a bad pass to a covered Östlund in the neutral zone. No chance for Östlund to contest it, the other way and in. Lindholm's first bad play in goal all game.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I apologize for the stupid question--but the IIHF site is bereft of information as always--are we in the elimination round now?

Yes, today is quarterfinals day.

Edited by DarthEbriate

Next up, Czechia and Switzerland. Kulich time.

Kulich scores!

Poor start for Czechia on the 1st shift where Suchanek doesn't come out to play the puck on a breakaway where the Swiss player doesn't get to the puck until between the faceoff dots. Then, during a 4-on-4 after some embellishment, Kulich beats 2 defenders to the front of the net and buries a centering pass.

(Note: Suchanek is 6th on his team in scoring this WJC with an assist on the Kulich goal)

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.