Is it too soon to start thinking about who our next top 5 draft pick will be??

John Tucker

5 hours ago, inkman said:

Yeah I don’t care how good Bedard is, the Sabres are chock full of smallish skill players on the team (Skinner, Olofsson, Quinn, Krebs, Peterka, Hiney) with many more in the pipeline (Ostland, Savoie, Weissbach, Rosen, Kisakov).  They need players that aren’t just good shooters or fast skaters.  They need guys that are hard to play against not just dudes who float on the perimeter looking for an easy opportunity.  I’m not calling for 4 lines of pluggers, just anyone that I’d hate if they played against the Sabres.  

This goes for the D as well.  Pilut, Bryson, Fitzgerald are either too small, too weak or not good.  No reinforcements in Rochester or elsewhere.  

I have to say this is the craziest post of them all.    well at least the first paragraph

”I don’t care how good Bedard is”!!! WTF???  Also JJ is 6’0 190lbs, Krebs 6’0 187lbs and Quinn is 6’1 185lbs

that’s hardly small   They could use another power forward for sure to replace Okposo but I’m not passing up Bedard    

now for the sane part of your post- 

totally agree about the d  - unless you skate like Makar I’m done with 5’10 puck movers   

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I have to say this is the craziest post of them all.    well at least the first paragraph

”I don’t care how good Bedard is”!!! WTF???  Also JJ is 6’0 190lbs, Krebs 6’0 187lbs and Quinn is 6’1 185lbs

that’s hardly small   They could use another power forward for sure to replace Okposo but I’m not passing up Bedard    

totally agree about the d  - unless you skate like Makar I’m done with 5’10 puck movers   

Well there's a difference between being large and playing large but that's probably an argument for another thread. I will jut say that I really liked Peterka's first few games, but idk if you've noticed but it's kind of gone. The snarl and spunk has all but disappeared and he plays like a Sabre . The team is soft, they play soft, none of them seem to care. 

So let's say we win the lottery and draft Bedard. I mean of course we would. Anything else would be stupid. But what then? Your centers are now going to be Bedard, Savoie, Thompson and Cozens (4th line?) . Something will have to give. You're going to have to start moving out players like Mitts and Krebs for that grit talent you haven't drafted (or D or goal). If they think we can overwhelm everybody with 12 speedy playmakers they're absolutely nuts. 

I was done with 5'10" puckmovers when the first one arrived. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The fact 4 other ppl looked at this first sentence and said "yes, I like that" tells me everything I need to know about who has or hasn't watched Bedard, a guy born in mid July. Special level of ignorance there. 

Sorry dude.  The team sucks, the gm sucks, the coach sucks.  One undersized “generational” player or whatever people are calling him isn’t going to make the difference.  I’m tired of hype on prospects. Did we not learn our lesson from Eichel?  Having twenty 5’ 10” 175 lbs (including half their D) skill guys isn’t working. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

8 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

That extra inch on player height isn’t changing how they play.  Which is small.  Even our 6’3”-6’7” players play small.  Can we get anyone that plays physical or aggressive?  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sorry dude.  The team sucks, the gm sucks, the coach sucks.  One undersized “generational” player or whatever people are calling him isn’t going to make the difference.  I’m tired of hype on prospects. Did we not learn our lesson from Eichel?  Having twenty 5’ 10” 175 lbs (including half their D) skill guys isn’t working. 

Couple of things. 

First, Bedard won't be 5'10" 175lbs come the combine.

Second, Jack Hughes

Third, we won't be drafting 1st overall

Fourth, Bedard makes Eichel look like Zemgus

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well there's a difference between being large and playing large but that's probably an argument for another thread. I will jut say that I really liked Peterka's first few games, but idk if you've noticed but it's kind of gone. The snarl and spunk has all but disappeared and he plays like a Sabre . The team is soft, they play soft, none of them seem to care. 

So let's say we win the lottery and draft Bedard. I mean of course we would. Anything else would be stupid. But what then? Your centers are now going to be Bedard, Savoie, Thompson and Cozens (4th line?) . Something will have to give. You're going to have to start moving out players like Mitts and Krebs for that grit talent you haven't drafted (or D or goal). If they think we can overwhelm everybody with 12 speedy playmakers they're absolutely nuts. 

I was done with 5'10" puckmovers when the first one arrived. 

It's shorter to write, " I don't watch Bedard play hockey"

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Ok, I'm not going to say I don't care about him at all. Take him on the Sabres vs someone else and I will take him on the Sabres.  But it is more important than ever to have a team around you.  I think a lot of poeple aren't saying they don't want him, but rather 'fixing' the current state of the team is more important without him than it would be keeping status quo and just adding him.

Lets look at recent draft history. Heck lets go back 15 years.  McDavid (forward) and Dahlin(D)  were considered by many to be 'generational' talents.  While not a consensus, 'generational' was brought up by some or certainly 'near generational' was brought up regarding Matthews, Eichel, McKinnon and Tavares.  Between them not couting this year, they have a cumulative 47 seasons played, with 1 stanley cup title.

Dahlin, McDavid, Eichel, and Matthews (maybe the top 4 prospects pre-draft) have almost 30 seasons between those 4 guys and a total of 3 playoff series wins, zero cup final visits.

So yes, you want the best players. Yes, Bedard looks to be a great prospect that would be nice to have on the Sabres. But many of us would rather have the current team tweaked WITHOUT him than simply adding him to the November 2022 version of the Sabres.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I really hope we don't wind up in the Top 5, but with the current situation (roster, philosophy, incompetence, injuries, et al), all signs are pointing to the inevitable.  Something needs to change in a hurry because this bunch is showing less and less fight and as the losses continue to pile up, it will be tough to stop that snow ball.  This year's version of the playoff-less Sabres has zero toughness and while I would love to be able to add size in the draft, if by some act of God we wind up with the #1 pick, we also need a second line center, so Bedard it would have to be.  Mittlestadt has proven to be worthless and Cozens appears to nothing more than a 3rd or 4th line center.  

2 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

I really hope we don't wind up in the Top 5, but with the current situation (roster, philosophy, incompetence, injuries, et al), all signs are pointing to the inevitable.  Something needs to change in a hurry because this bunch is showing less and less fight and as the losses continue to pile up, it will be tough to stop that snow ball.  This year's version of the playoff-less Sabres has zero toughness and while I would love to be able to add size in the draft, if by some act of God we wind up with the #1 pick, we also need a second line center, so Bedard it would have to be.  Mittlestadt has proven to be worthless and Cozens appears to nothing more than a 3rd or 4th line center.  

Savoie, Ostland and Kulich would like a word 

Screw development. That only happens to non-Sabres prospects/players. These young guys are now what they will ever be. I mean just look at Dahlin.  He’s no better than he was 3 years ago! Then look at TNT. He’s no better than he was 3 years ago! Then look at Olofsson. He’s no better than he was 5 years ago! Then look at Tuch. He’s no better than he was 5 years ago! Then look at Peterka. He’s no better than he was 3 years ago! Power won’t develop more. Cozens won’t develop more. Mitts won’t develop more. Everyone has hit their peak already.

54 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

Serious question, I'm not sure where the hate on Mittlestadt is coming from?

Is he a star? Nope, but this year:

-I have watched all the goals against and he hasn't been a major problem causing a mistake in any of them.  In fact, in the D-zone, his positioning is actually pretty good and he isn't losing puck battles nearly as much as the other young guys.

-He is on a 19-20 goal and 49-50 point pace.

-When he does take draws, he is doing pretty well. I checked last week and he was a couple points over 50%

-He is killing penalties this year, and as to my first point, he hasn't been out of position causing breakdowns leading to goals.

Again, is he a star that is carrying this team? No, but I have thought his play has been above average, he isn't hurting the team, and with just one or two more bounces his numbers/pace would be alot better. Even take all that out, my personal 'eye test' tells me he isn't a star, but he is a competant, above average forward.  In terms of his overall value to this team, I think he currently is the 3rd or 4th most valuable forward on this team.  Do we all WANT him to be better, based on his age and draft status? Sure, but I certainly don't think he is 'useless' or should be removed from the ice as soon as possible..not at all.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Ok, I'm not going to say I don't care about him at all. Take him on the Sabres vs someone else and I will take him on the Sabres.  But it is more important than ever to have a team around you.  I think a lot of poeple aren't saying they don't want him, but rather 'fixing' the current state of the team is more important without him than it would be keeping status quo and just adding him.

Lets look at recent draft history. Heck lets go back 15 years.  McDavid (forward) and Dahlin(D)  were considered by many to be 'generational' talents.  While not a consensus, 'generational' was brought up by some or certainly 'near generational' was brought up regarding Matthews, Eichel, McKinnon and Tavares.  Between them not couting this year, they have a cumulative 47 seasons played, with 1 stanley cup title.

Dahlin, McDavid, Eichel, and Matthews (maybe the top 4 prospects pre-draft) have almost 30 seasons between those 4 guys and a total of 3 playoff series wins, zero cup final visits.

So yes, you want the best players. Yes, Bedard looks to be a great prospect that would be nice to have on the Sabres. But many of us would rather have the current team tweaked WITHOUT him than simply adding him to the November 2022 version of the Sabres.

There isn’t one fan that doesn’t want changes to the current team.  I just don’t think Adams is going to make any changes.  
My guess is that they want one more top 5 pick and then will start to make the changes we all want today done today

so buckle up. It’s going to be a rough ride for the next 6 months or so 

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Screw development. That only happens to non-Sabres prospects/players. These young guys are now what they will ever be. I mean just look at Dahlin.  He’s no better than he was 3 years ago! Then look at TNT. He’s no better than he was 3 years ago! Then look at Olofsson. He’s no better than he was 5 years ago! Then look at Tuch. He’s no better than he was 5 years ago! Then look at Peterka. He’s no better than he was 3 years ago! Power won’t develop more. Cozens won’t develop more. Mitts won’t develop more. Everyone has hit their peak already.

I agree, no one ever develops wearing the blue and gold.    
love this post. 
cozens is 21, can we remember where Tage was in his development at 21?   
it’s the same as the “no one ever signs long term to Buffalo” 

Edited by Crusader1969

6 hours ago, inkman said:

Bedard is 17 years old and listed ay 5'10' and 185 pounds.  He should be a 190 lb player when he reaches 22.    He could even grow another inch by then AND he has a frame that can carry weight.   

Right now he is about the size of Bryan Trottier and Steve Yzerman, and already the same weight that Guy LaFluer was.  He is bigger than Marcel Dionne and Bobby Clarke ever where, he is heavier than Gil Perreault was at the same time.  All these guys played in the fighting and hitting era.  They all were physically strong and did "ok".  

Compared to more modern centers he is bigger than Briere and same size as Drury.  Neither of them backed down.  

Size is not going to be an issue for him.   I don't know if he is physically and mentally tough, I don't follow Juniors, but he is not small.  So if he does not make it is not his physical size that holds him back.   A 17 year old at 185 lbs, that plays hockey and trains, is carrying a good amount of muscle.  

Edited by Pimlach

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Serious question, I'm not sure where the hate on Mittlestadt is coming from?

Is he a star? Nope, but this year:

-I have watched all the goals against and he hasn't been a major problem causing a mistake in any of them.  In fact, in the D-zone, his positioning is actually pretty good and he isn't losing puck battles nearly as much as the other young guys.

-He is on a 19-20 goal and 49-50 point pace.

-When he does take draws, he is doing pretty well. I checked last week and he was a couple points over 50%

-He is killing penalties this year, and as to my first point, he hasn't been out of position causing breakdowns leading to goals.

Again, is he a star that is carrying this team? No, but I have thought his play has been above average, he isn't hurting the team, and with just one or two more bounces his numbers/pace would be alot better. Even take all that out, my personal 'eye test' tells me he isn't a star, but he is a competant, above average forward.  In terms of his overall value to this team, I think he currently is the 3rd or 4th most valuable forward on this team.  Do we all WANT him to be better, based on his age and draft status? Sure, but I certainly don't think he is 'useless' or should be removed from the ice as soon as possible..not at all.

I thought I was the only one who thought Mitts has looked mostly solid. I swear some people wait for the charts to come out to tell them what their opinion is supposed to be. 

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Bedard is 17 years old and listed ay 5'10' and 185 pounds.  He should be a 190 lb player when he reaches 22.    He could even grow another inch by then AND he has a frame that can carry weight.   

Right now he is about the size of Bryan Trottier and Steve Yzerman, and already the same weight that Guy LaFluer was.  He is bigger than Marcel Dionne and Bobby Clarke ever where, he is heavier than Gil Perreault was at the same time.  All these guys played in the fighting and hitting era.  They all were physically strong and did "ok".  

Compared to more modern centers he is bigger than Briere and same size as Drury.  Neither of them backed down.  

Size is not going to be an issue for him.   I don't know if he is physically and mentally tough, I don't follow Juniors, but he is not small.  So if he does not make it is not his physical size that holds him back.   A 17 year old at 185 lbs, that plays hockey and trains, is carrying a good amount of muscle.  

But back then Perreault was a big man for the league.  Pete Mahovlich was an anomaly.  There weren't even all that many guys that were even 6'3" much less the "Little M's" 6'5".

Not disputing anything you said about Bedard, but all of those guys you described were strong and a couple (Trottier & Gil) were never considered small.  (Perreault was the biggest Sabres regular F in '76, Trottier the Aisles 4th biggest regular F, & though Clarke was average height, he was still strong enough to slash the #### out of an opponent for the Phlyers.  LaFleur was 6' and Dionne was short but a fireplug.)

Edited by Taro T

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I know this is a deep draft, but honestly if this team is drafting in the top 5 KA has failed.

I’m not trying to be a troll but maybe he will have succeeded? 
Who knows what the “plan”’is, except build through the draft.  
It’s hard for me the fathom why moves weren’t made. He had to know Going into the season with Bryson, Fitz and Pilut as 6-8 d slots was a dangerous game.  Just 1 injury and 2 of them would be playing in the same game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.